1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Stack Shift

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 07:49 PM
Phantom
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stack Shift

I recently purchased a 96 E-150 4.9 with a Quigley 4X4 conversion in it. It has 191K miles. It has a tag on the tranny from Ford Re-Man, how old I don't know.

The trouble is the transmission shifts from low to 2nd almost immeadiately once you start to roll and the other shifts seem too soon also any known problems or fixes? The engine seems to run good with plenty of power once it gets over the bog of the too soon shift.

BTW The tires are stock size and diameter as supplied new on the truck.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:24 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Change your fluid and filter, you might even want to drain the torque converter. I changed the fluid and filter in mine last week and I can't believe the differance.

Old 07-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Phantom
Junior User
I planned on changing the fluid and filter, I change all fliuids and filters on any vehicle when I first purchase it so I can start fresh on my maintainence schedule.
I did find that the throttle position sensor is way off the reading I should be getting, it registers 20.4% throttle at idle. I ordered the sensor and will try that first. Makes sense to me as the transmission is shifting as if the detent cable (if it had one) is out of adjustment.
Thanks,
Wayne

Old 07-11-2004, 04:35 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it also idling high?

Old 07-11-2004, 04:49 PM
mike93
Elder User
what's your tranny. if it's an E4OD the computor uses the 4x4 switch on the t/c to change the shift timing when in 4lo shifts 1-3 before 15mph when in 4lo but you are still in 2hi or 4hi . check it out. also maker sure the switch has an aluminum washer under it. check out the o/d cancell switch. if the fuse is blown due to shorted wiring you'll get stacked shifts, no kick down, & o/d cancell will not work.

Last edited by mike93; 07-11-2004 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Phantom
Junior User
Thanks Mike,

The TPS that was ordered was wrong, the harness connector plug was a different configuration. I'll check the 4X4 switch like you suggested, it sounds like your descrption of what's happening matches my symptoms pretty close.

Old 07-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Phantom
Junior User
Originally Posted by pfogle
Is it also idling high?
No, idle is normal. That's what I thought at first, someone raised the idle with the throttle stop to compensate for another problem. I cleaned the throttle body and checked the plate clearance visually to be sure no one was "playing"

Old 07-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Almost a garantee that the bad tps is causing your problem. Changing the fluid will have no effect on stack shifting, but it probably is a good idea as you reasoned. Mike93 is correct about the 4x4 switch. If the computer thinks you are in low range it will shift at speeds that conicide with the gearing for low range. That will have it in OD by about 25 mph. So if the tps doesn't fix the problem, look there next.

Steve
'95 Clubwagon XLT

Old 07-14-2004, 07:29 PM
Phantom
Junior User
Well guys thanks for the help, I replaced the TPS and checked the 4WD swithch and the OD lockout fuse the new TPS has near the same reading (around 20%) as with the old TPS. The Van seems to shift better but there is another problem, It is still slow as death and seems to lack power. My guess is either a partially clogged Cat, low fuel pressure or bad timing chain. This does have a chain in there right? Input is appreciated.

Old 07-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, start with the basics. Fuel, air, timing, compression. I would recommend first thing to put a scanner on it and monitor the fuel air ratio and ignition advance. This eliminates a lot of stuff right up front.

Too little ignition advance will cause it to have little power. A clogged fuel filter or poor fuel pressure as well. Another possibility is a leaking intake snorkle after the air flow meter. Check the snorkle carefully, a crack may not be obvious.

A worn timing chain/sprocket set will show up as unstable ignition timing on a timing light. This is rare on a 4.9, these motors are like cast iron skillets. They aren't very fancy but they last forever with little maintenance.

A good muffler shop can check your converter to see if its stopped up. Typically, this is a by product of an engine miss or a too rich or too lean condition. A manifold exhaust leak is usually caused by a stopped up converter. You can also smack the converter with a rubber hammer, if it rattles it has come apart and is most likely stopped up.

Steve
'95 Clubwagon XLT

Old 07-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Phantom
Junior User
Thanks Clubwagon,

Checked Fuel Pressure last night 45psi. I get conflicting info from Alldata on setting timing they say this van has a SPOUT connector the under hood decal says no and I can't find one. The underhod decal says timing is NOT adjustable and electronic controlled. The van has a distributor and normal hold down clamp so I tweaked it a bit (scanner says 14*) we took it for a ride and it pings like crazy. This may be from the exhaust being clogged though. It's really strange it has a bog right after it shifte but once the revs come up it runs good until the next shift. I would think with a clogged cat the bog would get worse as the engine tried to wind up.
PS I drove a friends van today, a 93 with a 4.9 and it runs much better.

PPS I am a former ASE Certified Master Tech. so I sort of know what I'm doing I've just been out of it for ten years or so! My last year of testing was '92.