1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

'85 F250 460 vacuum diagram; HICV?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 05:15 PM
HiDesertRat
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Working on a friends 460. I will try to take a look at it tonight to see if I can identify what you are talking about. If I remember there was a valve of some sort mounted on the passenger side valve cover which the PCV fed into prior to going to the carb. It seemed to have a metal pressure sensor of some type on it. This could be your HICV, don't know what the purpose of it is....never seen one before this.
Wasn't able to see your vacumn diagram, so I will work off of mine; unless you can resend yours and see if it will come up here.

Old 07-12-2004, 06:29 PM
LWJ
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked out the PCV this weekend. It is some kind of box, or ??? inline with the line.

Hell if I know what it is or does. I would go to the junkyard. The whole assembly seemed to go together.

I would suspect that just a straight PCV would pass the emissions people.

Good luck.
Larry

Old 07-13-2004, 04:11 AM
Tony G
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hot Idle compensator valve. (what do I win?) Hopefully a vacuum diagram and good pictures of a '87 F350 460 manual tranny 49 state version ... The hot idle compensator valve and "T" assembly is shown in the chilton manual at the beginning of the emissions section, but it doesn't tell what it does. Doing a google search for that term and spelling compensator correctly yeilds some information. Apparently it was often part of the carburater itself. but in some instances it could be used to either shut down or open the pvc circuit or possibly it got it's vacuum from the pcv circuit. In this case it is part of the crankcase emissions system. It has a part ID of 9E890 if that helps.

I am in the same boat as you in having to restore emissions equipment. I think somebody could get rich if they had a storehouse of knowledge and parts for various emissions systems. They could package and sell complete emissions renewal systems. If anyone has a good vacuum diagram and/or pictures of emissions, evap cannister system and air pump systems for a '87 F350 without cat converter I'd love to have them. I don't have to pass tailpipe test, but the stuff has to be on there. I think it's coming eventually to all states, so if you take your emissions "crap" off, don't throw it too far away....or at least send it to me!!!

Tony

Old 07-13-2004, 10:28 AM
HiDesertRat
Mountain Pass
Went out this morning and looked at the engine on the 85 F250 460 CID Non-Cat engine to see what this thing looks like. It is only about three inches long and is set up like a tee configuation. On the top of the tee is a "pressure release" valve or something like it. The other ends just go to the PCV and the Carb. I am not sure how it works, or for that matter why it has to be there. However, it seems if there is vacumn in the line, it pulls the Pressure release closed and it there happens to be over pressure in the line it would open the valve and allow the pressure to release into the engine compartment.

If you think some photos would help, let me know and I will see if I can get some of the emission on this truck and send to you. I think it is set up pretty much like yours.

On a side note, I wouldn't worry to much about the HCIV thing. However, like you I would like to find more out about it, just to see if this one is working properly.

Old 07-13-2004, 05:46 PM
Tony G
Senior User
Actually, I was working on the truck today and noticed a vacuum diagram on the inside hood of the truck. After some degreaser... wow, it shone through like new. Plus the one on the used engine I got was still on the valve cover. I carfully peeled it off (before I noticed the one on the hood) and was able to decifer the mess of tubes and lines running on the intake manifold. After a few hours plugging and joining and taping and then putting the rest of the engine compartment, she fired up on about 10 turns. Pretty good I thought.
Thanks for this board.
Tony

Old 07-14-2004, 08:25 AM
mcgyver42
Cross-Country
Pictures are always good...

HiDesertRat,

I'd love to see a picture of the thing, if it isn't much trouble. That'd help to know what to look for at the boneyard.

Tony, thanks for the info. I like knowing what I'm talking about. Glad you found your diagram.

Thanks,

-Mark

Old 07-14-2004, 11:58 AM
Tony G
Senior User
Glad to help Mcgyver.
I think we all will have to try to help each other out on this emmissions stuff. I don't know if all the emission parts are available from ford or not yet especially for these older years. http://www.motorcraft.com/standard.a...&M=9&PageID=28 has some usedfull information.

Does anyone know of a company that specializes in emissions valves and tubing, possibly even making complete emissions harnesses. I tried working with some of mine yesterday and those nylon hoses are TOUGH and difficult to pull out of the rubber t's. I had a few that were broke and ended up putting hose over them to join the broke ends together and even put tape around one that was cut partway through.

I'm still not sure what the hot idle compensator valve does, but I'd think that it wouldn't vent the crankcase emissions out.

This is from one of the websites but it's referring to one that is on a carburator.
Hot Idle Compensator A hot idle compensator (fig. 4-42) is a thermostatically controlled device that prevents engine stalling or a rough idle under high engine temperatures. The temperature sensitive valve admits extra air into the engine to increase idle speed and smoothness. At normal engine temperatures, the hot-idle compensator valve remains closed, and the engine idles normally. When temperatures are high (prolonged idling periods, for example), fuel vapors can enter the air horn and enrich the air-fuel mixture. The hot idle compensator opens to allow extra air to enter the intake manifold. This action compensates for the extra fuel vapors and corrects the air-fuel mixture

Tony

Old 07-15-2004, 12:42 PM
HiDesertRat
Mountain Pass
Just got back into town, I will see about getting some photos this evening and posting them. Went to this site: http://www.tpub.com/content/construc.../14264_138.htm
and the valve looks similiar to this figure, but is mounted in line with the PCV.
I don't understand the full the emission control system and the more I learn the less I understand!!!! However, I am willing to learn and help each other as much as we can.
I am still trying to work out a couple of glitches on this engine, believe it has to do with carb and possible vac. leak (which I am still trying to locate). So I know I will be digging into the routing of the lines myself.
Replacement hoses/tubing I get from the local auto parts place. I am not to fond of tape as it gets hot, and starts to leak. If you have a bad hose, replace it. You can locate bad spots by using carb. cleaner and spraying it on the hoses, if there is a bad spot the RPM's will pick up. I have found a couple of hoses on this truck that looked good, but when sprayed with the carb cleaner proved to be leaking through a bunch of small dry rot cracks.
I will get back to you with the photos.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:41 AM
HiDesertRat
Mountain Pass
How the heck do you post a picture? Would like to put the photo of the HCIV here, but it won't show up.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:57 AM
mcgyver42
Cross-Country
Posting a picture

If you have the picture on a server at an address that is accessible to anyone, you can include it in a post. Press the "Insert Image" button:

and enter the web address in the pop-up box:

I can't tell you how to get the picture onto the server; that will depend on your ISP and whether you have any webspace.

Thanks,

-Mark

Last edited by mcgyver42; 07-16-2004 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:00 AM
HiDesertRat
Mountain Pass
Thanks, I don't have one on a server, soooooo....I will either have to do that or at least you got the photo and that is what counts...

Old 07-16-2004, 01:24 PM
mcgyver42
Cross-Country
Thumbs up So this is what it looks like...

For those who may be interested, heres a picture of an HICV:

Thanks, HiDesertRat.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Clifford II
Senior User
Originally Posted by mchild

Unfortunately, the air pumps share a bracket with the alternator and when you remove the pumps you are left with a monstrous big bracket. I found a used car alternator bracket and was able to get ride of the other.
Mark,

Do you recall what car you pulled the "new" alt bracket from?

I've done the same to my truck and want to get rid of the "eyesore".

Thanks!
Scott

Old 07-20-2004, 10:32 AM
Tony G
Senior User
If you know a machine shop that has a bandsaw or torch, you can bandsaw the top half of the bracket off. I did that with my truck, but now I wish I had it back. Luckily the doner engine I got had the air pumps and bracket along with it. Here in Pa we'll have to get our emmissions stuff back on, I'd even sell you my old one if you want it.

Tony

Old 07-21-2004, 09:01 AM
Clifford II
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tony G
If you know a machine shop that has a bandsaw or torch, you can bandsaw the top half of the bracket off. I did that with my truck, but now I wish I had it back. Luckily the doner engine I got had the air pumps and bracket along with it. Here in Pa we'll have to get our emmissions stuff back on, I'd even sell you my old one if you want it.
How much would you want for the bracket? Any pics of it?

Scott

Quick Reply: '85 F250 460 vacuum diagram; HICV?