Best Chip/Tuner for 97 V10 in 30' Class C - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Computer Chips & Tuners  

Best Chip/Tuner for 97 V10 in 30' Class C

Old 07-02-2004, 05:05 PM
97E350V10
New User
97E350V10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Best Chip/Tuner for 97 V10 in 30' Class C

What's the best chip or tuner to use for a 97 V10 in a 30' Class C that pulls a 5,000 lb boat (including trailer). I want to be able to pull most grades at 55 or better. I just found out that the Predator will only be available for 99 and newer V10s. The only thing I've changed from stock is the aire filter to a K&N (would the FIAK make much additional difference since it already has stock cold air intake?). The exhaust looks big but I don't know if its stock since I bought the vehicle used in 2000.

Old 07-02-2004, 10:31 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
You may not be able to chip it at all without a read of the computer, depending on the PCM code. Look on the computer box and you'll see a 4 digit code (3 letters followed by 1 number). Let me know that code.

Old 07-03-2004, 02:36 PM
97E350V10
New User
I feel stupid, but could you tell me where the computer box is on a Ford van chasis? I saw the electric distribution box and there was another small box below it but I couldn't see it very well, only the top of it and there were no letters or numbers there.

If I need a read of the computer how do I do that?

Old 07-08-2004, 09:13 AM
97E350V10
New User
The code is KLM2.

Old 07-08-2004, 08:09 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
Yeah, that's the code. You're in luck, Diablo has a read of KLM3 as of June 11th. Using a 4 bank chip, we can use KLM3 with a KLM2 box code.

Old 07-09-2004, 10:42 AM
97E350V10
New User
Thanks for the response. I do have a question - what is a 4 bank chip, does it hold 4 programs?

I have also done some research while waiting for your response. I called Superchips and they didn't have a standard chip for me but they referred me to their custom programming unit that then referred me to one of their dealers in my area (San Francisco Bay Area) that custom burns their chips. <!-- The place is Dynalab in San Ramon -->. They said my motorhome is too large to fit in the stall with their Dyno but that they could road tune it, logging data and making adjustments.

I also searched the web and found a place that sells chips for RVs. <!-- They are Dyno Sources Inc. out of Washington http://www.dynosources.com. --> They had a reasonably priced chip but I was concerned about their improvement claims since they don't require 91 octane.

I would appreciate it if you would comment on these two alternatives and the Diablo chip and give me your opinion of what's the best option.

Old 07-09-2004, 12:24 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Please do not refer other dealers by link here. You wouldn't see Ace Hardware allowing postings on a store bulletin board to refer the TruValue shop across the street and the same is expected here.

Sure, I could give you a chip that doesn't require 87 octane. But anyone claiming significant gains from an 87 octane tune is full of bunk, unless they send your mileage into the tank. They can fake you out by making the throttle pedal more sensitive but the dyno doesn't lie. If you really want optimal power you need a premium fuel program.

Dyno tuning can be an expensive thing, and the benefits are good if you've customized your vehicle. For instance, I recommend dyno pulls for MAF changes, boost pulleys, radical cams, etc. On a stock vehicle, I'm not sure you're going to see enough of a gain, if any, over a non-custom tune. Naturally, I'm biased in my opinions, which is something I'll freely admit.

Old 07-09-2004, 02:36 PM
97E350V10
New User
Based on the title of the site, I didn't think it was controlled by one sponsor. I will not for referencing other dealers in the future. I appreciate you honesty about your bias and respect your opinion.

To clearify, are you saying that for my RV (only modification is K&N filter in stock housing and a 3.5" cat back system {added that today since it was in muffler shop for catalyst converter inspection and cat was good but muffler was causing 1.5 lb pressure}) the Diablo chip you referred to should be the best bang for buck (custom chip will run me $600) or would recommend adding a custom program to the Diablo chip?

Old 07-09-2004, 04:35 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
MotorHaven, the chip/tuner sponsor here, is owned by Ford Truck Enthusiasts, Inc., the web site owner. We have many other sponsors as well. You're welcome to link to other companies on this site, but I ask that users not refer to other companies when being assisted by one company. Not fair for a paying sponsor to be assisting someone and suddenly a non-paying competitor's site is linked. For instance, Superchips is a sponsor in the 6.0L section and I've had to step in a couple of times and ask that the Diablo Sport stuff stop in the Superchips support thread. Hope that makes sense.

As to your questions....

Intakes and exhausts don't require custom programming. The Mass Air Flow sensor and O2 sensors allows the computer to compensate for air flow/air mix changes due to these modifications. X or H pipes and long tube headers require custom programming because they throw off O2 sensor readings (and sometimes eliminate them completely). Mass Air Flow sensor changes require custom programming and so do radical cams (with EEC-IV computers), boost pulleys on supercharged applications, etc. There are other examples as well, but the general rule of thumb with anything not listed above is that if it runs well with correct air/fuel ratios on the stock program they will work well on a non-custom chip.

There are a few rare exceptions to the above. For instance, some intakes on the 2004 F-150 change the air flow "bend" through the MAF so much that they can overly lean out the air/fuel ratio.

Here are our prices (I don't put them directly in posts because invariably someone stumbles into a 3 year old post and the price has changed):

Custom tune:
http://www.motorhaven.com/customer/p...&cat=37&page=1

Non-custom tune:
http://www.motorhaven.com/customer/p...&cat=37&page=1

I think you'll find us competitive (we move a LOT of chips and tuners). Money back guarantee as well. I'm not going to tell you that we're always going to provide a better tune than someone else in every case, but we do a consistently darn good job (in my opinion). If it doesn't do the job you want... get your money back. If you prefer a dyno tune, no hard feelings and I hope you enjoy it. One thing is certain, once you've chipped/tuned a vehicle, you'll never want to run stock again.