Notices

4x4 conversion for F250 power stroke

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 08:06 AM
tsrvt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 conversion for F250 power stroke

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to convert an F250 power stroke to 4x4 ? I spoke with someone who did it with a 350 and said it was pretty easy and they had great results. Someone else looked at my truck and said that the whole front end would have to be changed out ( it's a 1995) and that by the time I was done - I'd be better off to trade it in for a factory 4x4. Anyone have any experience with this conversion and how did it work for you?

Old 07-01-2004, 08:58 AM
christaylor
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you may want to ask in the 4x4 offroad forum I have seen this topic discussed there.

Chris

Old 07-05-2004, 11:20 AM
SouthernWeld
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if i am not mistaken, f-250's have the leaf spring front end on 4x4, you will have alot of fab work to do if you want to convert your 2wd front end to a 4wd

Old 07-09-2004, 12:47 AM
SoCalDesertRider
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll go along with the recommendation to sell the 2wd truck and buy an original 4wd truck instead of changing everything out.

A used 4x4 of equal year and condition/configuration will cost maybe a grand or 2 more than your 2wd, depending on location. A complete hub-to-hub Dana 60 straight axle or Dana 50 TTB axle (I'd go for the straight axle myself), plus a transfer case, transmission adapter housing and front drive shaft can run 2 grand or more by themselves, not to mention springs, shocks and all the necessary mounting brackets for springs, axle, transfercase and shocks.

In the end, you'll likely end up doing alot of work, spending alot of time chasing down everything you need, and spending more money on it than just trading to another truck....

I also looked into swapping the 351 for a diesel in my F350 and concluded that although it would be really cool to swap a Powerstroke or Cummins deisel into this truck, it would not be financially sensible to do that and would be alot of time that I don't have and work that I'd rather not have to do when there are F350's with diesels already in them for sale every day. At some point in the future, I will buy one .