Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

broke front axle on my 02' f250! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 11:19 AM
FFSpiel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy broke front axle on my 02' f250! Help!

I'm new to FTE and a beginer backyard mechanic to boot, so go easy guys as I'm really stuck in a pickle. I was hoping to get some guidance from this forum and wanted to get educated on some Ford front axle terminology so I don't sound like a retard. I'm used to motorcycle and ATV stuff, but had no idea that I would have to look up parts and such on the internet for my relatively new 02' diesel 4x4 crew.
The story: I live in Bakersfield. I noticed a "metallic clunking" while driving home, especially hitting the bumps. Got my truck on jacks to find (terminology problem...) a suspension "torsion bar(?)" mounting bracket to be fractured vertically. Was wondering about the correct name to call this bracket and bar that's attached to it. It's located, welded, to the passanger side front axle. A suspension bar is bolted to it on top (other end of bar bolted to frame, driver's side), the steering dampener is bolted to the bottom of this bracket. The fracture only involves the upper suspension "torsion bar" mount.
Questions: - is there a name for the bracket? - Is there a site on the internet where I can look up the part or part numbers relating to the front axle (... diagrams are what I'm most interested in). - Is the axle "housing/case" a solid unit or can it be separated from the differential for repairs or replacement when a bracket such as this is broken (... looking for an mechanic/OEM-dealer part type answer for this one) or does the whole axle housing need to be replaced? Can a fracture such as this be welded for a solid repair. Once again, it's the bracket that is damaged, not any onther component; I don't know how it happened...
Statements: I wasn't much of a believer of extended warranties, but I really wish I had one right about now.... I recommend an extended warranty now to anyone who buys a new truck (4x4... diesel, whatever...).
P.S. - dealer said to fix the problem is $2100 in part and about 10hrs. labor.

Old 06-28-2004, 11:31 AM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like a track bar bracket is broken. Do you have any fluids leaking anywhere? If it's just a track bar bracket, you can buy those from any offroad company. Do you have any means of posting pictures to better give us an idea of what might actually be broken?

Thanks,
Terry

Old 06-28-2004, 12:41 PM
ReserectedSD
Senior User
Does sound like a trac bar thing. If you've already talked to the dealership and they know whats wrong ask them to tell you exactly what is wrong with it and that way you'll atleast know. I'd then agree that you should go aftermarket. You'll probably save some cash anyway.

Don't worry about all this. I'm somewhat new to this forum as well, but all these guys on here are great! They love to help and are fast about getting back to your questions! Good Luck!

Old 07-03-2004, 02:45 PM
FFSpiel
New User
...apparantly, it is called a track bar, after a conversation with Ford dealership. They're fixing it with the help of my insurance company. Don't ever break one if you can help it... (... although it really surprised me when it happened because I thought I bought a truck that could at least handle the same type of road my Honda does!).

Old 07-04-2004, 01:52 PM
ReserectedSD
Senior User
Weird **** does sometimes happen, but don't worry. You did buy a truck that you can beat the living **** out of.