General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Anyone else have an old Monarch Bass Boat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else have an old Monarch Bass Boat?

I acquired a 77 model Monarch McFast 17' bass boat a couple of years ago and haven't done much with it other than fish it. I'm working on cleaning it up and getting it back into shape a bit and wondering if any of you have worked on one of these before? The gel coat is shot, and the $$$ to get it re-done professionally is crazy. I think I can sand it smooth and shoot it with a metal flake paint and about 10 coats of clearcoat and get a similair effect... that and new carpet should have it looking like new again. The 2 things that have me stumped a bit are...

1st thing is where the upper and lower sections of the hull come together, at the back near the vent on one side the molding that covers that seam has come loose for about 24" there, I was thinking of just using some longer screws and a piece of treated 2X in behind it to hold that together, anyone else seen this and had to repair it before?

2nd thing is the motor... It runs fine, but I was fishing with some friends of mine not too long ago (he has a similair boat as mine) and he comented on the size of my motor. It's an Evinrude 175 hp V6 outboard. He has an 85 hp chrysler on his and said he was positive that boat couldn't be rated for anything more than a 115 hp engine. Well, I found the rating tag not long ago and he was right on... maximum hp rating is 115. It seems to sit level in the water, and runs and plains out fine (fast as heck too) but is there anything here I may have overlooked that may come back to bite me in the rear? Buddy tells me that if the lake patrol catches me with it they could issue me a citation? Is this true??? I couldn't imagine getting a ticket in a truck because I had a bigger motor in it than what was originally "spec'd" for it. The old motor has a viscous looking "clever" style prop on it... anyone know if these possess any real advantage or dis-advantage over the rounded tip props you see more often now days? A new stainless prop would be pretty $$$ so if it's fine I'm going to leave it alone, I've just never seen one before.

Old 06-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
Hmmm... I guess I have the only old Monarch boat left?

Old 06-28-2004, 03:13 PM
Momudder720
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whoops, duplicate post

Last edited by momudder720; 06-28-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Momudder720
Posting Guru
1, I don't know JACK about your bass boat.
2, I was lookin in your gallery for a picture of it, and came across your last picture. WHAT ON EARTH ARE THOSE?!!?? I THINK I mighta had those in a nightmare I had a while ago, but HOLY CRAP!!!

Old 09-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Deereracing
New User
Info from when I was a kid...

My Dad had a 1986 Monarch McFast V172 when I was a kid. They Are hard to find. His boat had a Johnson 150. It was a 17.5 boat though. Not sure about yours. Tell me some more info on your boat.

Nathan

Old 09-21-2005, 06:09 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome Deereracing, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:11 AM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Momudder720
1, I don't know JACK about your bass boat.
2, I was lookin in your gallery for a picture of it, and came across your last picture. WHAT ON EARTH ARE THOSE?!!?? I THINK I mighta had those in a nightmare I had a while ago, but HOLY CRAP!!!
i believe those are camel spiders.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Tony Mongelli
New User
Monarch bass boat

I own a 1967 monarch bass boat 80 hp super fast & sweet ride manny complements found out it was used by Bill Burton pro fisherman I love this boat!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
175 hp V-6 on a boat rated for 115hp?..............I would be looking for a nice 90-115hp motor to replace it, you are WAY overpowered. Might be fun going flat out across a calm lake, but.......one mistake at 65mph or a emergency maneuver, on water and you will be IN the water. All that extra weight and stress may have damaged the transom, check it out....try not to decelerate too fast either, with all that weight, water will come over the stern easily.
If you look for another motor, stay with a 2-stroke, 4 strokes weigh a ton in comparison, power to weight ratio heavily favors a 2 stroke.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
New legs...or fins as the case may be... for a darn near 7 year old thread. Good job guys.

But, since we are here, I have a 1978 Roughneck with a '78 150 Johnson. Back when a motor was rated like a man. At the prop.

Too bad, it has been sitting in my back pasture for the last 4 years or so....Catching nothin' but cow birds.

It was a one fine fishin' machine.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 AM
lariat97
Post Fiend
You can get a ticket for having too big of a motor in my state. My buddy put different decals on his hopped up 175 to hide it. The game warden made him pull the cover & wrote him up anyway. He knew his boat was to fast for the right motor. He clocked him at 75 mph.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by lariat97
You can get a ticket for having too big of a motor in my state. My buddy put different decals on his hopped up 175 to hide it. The game warden made him pull the cover & wrote him up anyway. He knew his boat was to fast for the right motor. He clocked him at 75 mph.
Around here it is a safety violation and a ticket-able offense, if the USCG finds you......you will be TOWED back to the ramp.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Shawnas02
New User
1979 Monarch McFast

Hello, I won't be much help about restoring your boat but I did inherit my dad's 1979 Monarch McFast 15' Bass Boat with a 1984 80hp Mecury that is still currently in pretty good condition and runs well. We fish out of it on occasion. I'm debating on selling it because i have a few people interested but I just can't seem to part with it. I can't find any info on what it would be worth either. In fact, that's how I ran across this post. I'm sorry I'm not of any help to you but you are not alone when it comes to owning one! And I can't find dittily squat about the boat either!

Originally Posted by Johnboy_BoomerSooner
I acquired a 77 model Monarch McFast 17' bass boat a couple of years ago and haven't done much with it other than fish it. I'm working on cleaning it up and getting it back into shape a bit and wondering if any of you have worked on one of these before? The gel coat is shot, and the $$$ to get it re-done professionally is crazy. I think I can sand it smooth and shoot it with a metal flake paint and about 10 coats of clearcoat and get a similair effect... that and new carpet should have it looking like new again. The 2 things that have me stumped a bit are...

1st thing is where the upper and lower sections of the hull come together, at the back near the vent on one side the molding that covers that seam has come loose for about 24" there, I was thinking of just using some longer screws and a piece of treated 2X in behind it to hold that together, anyone else seen this and had to repair it before?

2nd thing is the motor... It runs fine, but I was fishing with some friends of mine not too long ago (he has a similair boat as mine) and he comented on the size of my motor. It's an Evinrude 175 hp V6 outboard. He has an 85 hp chrysler on his and said he was positive that boat couldn't be rated for anything more than a 115 hp engine. Well, I found the rating tag not long ago and he was right on... maximum hp rating is 115. It seems to sit level in the water, and runs and plains out fine (fast as heck too) but is there anything here I may have overlooked that may come back to bite me in the rear? Buddy tells me that if the lake patrol catches me with it they could issue me a citation? Is this true??? I couldn't imagine getting a ticket in a truck because I had a bigger motor in it than what was originally "spec'd" for it. The old motor has a viscous looking "clever" style prop on it... anyone know if these possess any real advantage or dis-advantage over the rounded tip props you see more often now days? A new stainless prop would be pretty $$$ so if it's fine I'm going to leave it alone, I've just never seen one before.