2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Overhead Rail System

Old 06-23-2004, 06:02 AM
CTBob
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP: Overhead Rail System

Does anyone know how to revove the front most component of the overhead rail system? The one that houses the dome lights. I want to run wires to my XM Delphi unit which I plan to install in the second fold down module. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 06-23-2004, 10:47 AM
rambunctious
Senior User
I know.

the front console has 4 spring clips holding it on. simply tug quickly on the back end. you may need something poitned to get under the back edge to get it started.

post pics when you get it installed. will it look anythign like this:

Old 06-23-2004, 04:55 PM
SgtFred
Freshman User
Overhead Rail System

I have an XM Radio as well and I have been struggling trying to figure out how best to install it (the standard "car kit" looks cheesy) and also how to interface it to the factory stereo (I have the in-dash 6 CD changer).

It sounds like you have got most, if not all, of this figured out. Would you be willing to share your plans?

Old 06-23-2004, 06:12 PM
CTBob
Freshman User
Rambunctious.
Where did you get the mount for the XM Delphi? It is just perfect! Will it fit the F150 Rail system?
Thanks

Old 06-24-2004, 06:34 AM
rambunctious
Senior User
I knew that pic would get some attention.
Realize that I work in product development for Johnson Controls, the supplier of the RailPort systems, factory DVD, and overhead system ( and seats btw) for Ford.

We are developing a number of additional modules for the rail. They are not available yet, but soon. The auto industry takes longer to get product into production that consumer electronics due to our validation reauirements.
The good news is the whole premise of the rail is that when new products become available, you can simply add them to your vehicle.
If you search under my logon, you will find additional info regarding the rail systems and some of our future plans.

interfacing with the ford radio is a challenge. the aux input only works with our dvd due to what is call CANbuss communication. there is no aftermarket harness that will work to date. But, if you have a dvd, it has it's own aux rca jacks. one touch of the aux button on the radio gets dvd, another gets the dvd's aux input. this is how i use my sat radio in my personal 04 F150.

Hope This helps

Ramb
Chief Engineer, New product strategy and business development
Johnson Controls

Old 10-08-2004, 12:47 PM
resopkr
Junior User
Ramb need help with overheads

Ramb,

Could you send me a link or email with pricing on the overheads. I need one that will accomodate a CB radio. It would be nice if I could install it sideways so that when I look up I can see the controls.

Thanks!!

Wayne C.

resopkr@aol.com

Old 10-08-2004, 02:02 PM
rambunctious
Senior User
resopkr.

here is a link to a page in one of my original threads, it shows the brochure pages with the "kits of bin"
Overhead Rail Thread Link

a kit getting you a couple bins and some inserts through Ford accessories (will be more cost effective than buying a single bin at Fords service pricing ( replacement pricing).

I don't have the retail prices handy right now, so I would not want to state an incorrect cost by memory till i confirm, but I'll get back when i know

Old 10-08-2004, 02:24 PM
resopkr
Junior User
Thanks Ramb.

Old 10-08-2004, 06:44 PM
resopkr
Junior User
Ramb,

Can you tell me how to get the front dome/map light assembly loose? And the best way to fish wiring to both of the front posts?

Old 10-09-2004, 08:03 AM
resopkr
Junior User
It's me again Ramb.
Would you happen to have access to any of the overhead units used in R&D. My plan had been to purchase one of the Large units from Ford and then modifiy it to accomodate my radio by gutting the inside black molded plastic maintaining its structural integrity and rail clips and in the process eliminating the door. This will create an opening large enough for the radio to fit with the rear end where all the connections are located to be placed up inside the unit facing the passenger side and the controls facing the drivers side (so I can see and use them at a glance) sitcking out at a downward angle with the microphone connected. Purchasing a large unit from my local dealer will be close to $100.00. If I could get my hands on one that was sent to your scrap heap but would be functional enough to serve my purpose for less $$ would be greatly appreciated. If you don't have any on the heap or can't get me one I understand. You can contact me here or use my screen name + AOL.

Thanks!!

Wayne C.

Old 10-10-2004, 08:06 AM
resopkr
Junior User
Figured out the dome light thing

Ramb,

Figured out how to get the dome light down. Let me know about my request in the previous post.

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2004, 09:54 PM
rambunctious
Senior User
resopkr

the front console has 4 spring clips holding it on. simply tug quickly on the back end. you may need something poitned to get under the back edge to get it started.

The front pillars have a lot of room for wires. you can fish wires along the driver side tying the wires to the steel cross member under the dash and up a large opening at the front area of the pillar trim. Take the trim off by removing the caps and then removing the screws near the grab handles. it pulls up and then out.

then run wires up the driver pillar trim, then along the front header. there are even holes every 6 inches in the sheet metal up the pillar and along the front header sheet metal. if you tape christmas tree connectors to a wire bundle , you can push them in place to hold the wire in place.

removing the bin housing and then unscrewing the 2 screws per aluminum rail will allow you to flex the overhead system down enough to route the wires along the front. just don't pull down too hard and buckle the headliner..

regarding sending a bin, if i sent one, then i am afraid there are a large number of members here that might like a R&D sample too. we throw parts away all the time. Ford throws TRUCKS away all the time. it is a waste, I know, I used to work for Ford, They are not allowed to sell the tested vehicles or give them away, they HAVE to be crushed...
my point. we have to scrap our stuff for liability reasons too.... I would like to help but really can't.

anyway. someone on the board may want to split the cost of a KIT ( which is much cheaper per bin, than the price for 1 service part as you found out. or twist the dealer's arm to cut you a deal. some are receiving coupons for bin kits in the mail from thier dealer.

or maybe check ebay????

hope the instructions help.
Ramb

Old 10-11-2004, 06:50 AM
resopkr
Junior User
Thanks,

Ramb.

I'm gonna check with the salesman who got me my truck and see what we can work out.

Wayne C.

Old 10-22-2004, 02:11 AM
mad man 1
Freshman User
Any new info Ramb, I am looking into a xm radio and a dvd player/ monitor or just a monitor and a PS2