Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Shock Absorbers for 1997 Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2000, 12:15 PM
dzenizo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would anybody recommend changing the stock shock absorbers for premium ones, like Bilstein or Edelbrock? Will the "bumpy ride" improve?
I already changed the Firestone tires (long before the recall) for Michelin ones and the ride improved a little.
Comments appreciated.

Old 11-08-2000, 02:18 PM
fordkid
Junior User

Hi dzenizo,
Im just curious as to why you want to change your shocks? My explorer rides like a lincoln, and that is with stock shocks, except for when the sway bar links broke. Is it really bumpy or is it "wallowy"? Not saying that its not your shocks or anything but high chance that its something else. More details please.
~Mike
1996 Explorer XLT

Old 11-08-2000, 03:00 PM
dzenizo
New User

Hi Mike:
Thanks for answering. Well, I bought the Explorer for my wife brand new back in 1997. Meanwhile I was driving a Ford Tempo that I later changed for a 1999 Dodge Durango.
The Durango feels like a car, smooth and quiet.
Last week I took the Explorer for a short trip around the city. I felt the ride as if the tires were over inflated, like you feel every pebble and crack on the road. I checked the tires pressure, and they were at 28 lbs. Thinking that maybe the gauge was misreading, I lowered the tire pressure to 24 lbs, but still felt the same. I went into a gas station and the gauge there confirmed my own gauge to be accurate, so it wasn´t the tire pressure, and I returned them to 28 lbs. I also tried at 32, but still the same...
My wife is really complaining now because I installed an MP3 CD player for her birthday and every time she drives over a pothole or bump, the unit delays playing. We have had a lot of rain lately, so there are a lot of potholes and debris on the streets, so it has been a mayor nuisance.
I haven´t noticed before, but there's a big difference in riding comfort between the Explorer and the Durango.
Maybe the shock absorbers will help...
Saludos

Old 11-12-2000, 08:57 PM
rowiebowie
Freshman User

I know what you mean with the "bumpy" ride you describe. I own a '95 Expl. 4/dr. 2wd and a '98 also 4/dr. 2wd. Both ride buck-board rough unless the road is smooth. The '98 rides a little better.

I replaced the '98's shocks with Edelbrocks a few months ago. Did notice a slight (emphasis slight) but noticible improvemnt in ride. Still, I'm glad I did the change because at 68,000 miles the orignal ones were shot. Once off, you could depress them with very little effort and they had no gas bounce back. I'm frankly shocked (no pun intended) that there was no wallow before I changed them, just a bit more lean that with the new shocks. ROY

Old 11-14-2000, 06:18 PM
nightri1
Freshman User

Hi,
I own a 96 Explorer 2wd 4 door and have just replaced the shocks. The combination of Michelin tires and KYB shocks makes it ride perfect. It does not have a "rough" truck ride but more like a firm suspension. Try it I know you'll agree.

Old 11-19-2000, 12:20 AM
G Man 04 Expy
New User

Dzenizo:

I would definitely recommend changing the shocks, especially if you're looking for your truck to handle better. I replaced all 4 on my 95 Explorer 4WD with the Edelbrock IAS Performer Shocks after 75000 miles. I can tell you there was a slight improvement in the ride but the biggest inprovement you will notice immediately is the handling capabilities. You will feel a lot less body roll on turns.

Greg

Old 12-04-2000, 01:51 AM
ucfracer_x
New User

Just put a set of Bilsteins on our '98 Explorer Sport and I will tell you that it does not feel like the same truck. The "wallowing" and "porposing" effect was getting a little unbearable. Now it is very slight only on horrible roads and the truck feels more responsive.

One note, if your Explorer is riding like a Lincoln, CHANGE THE SHOCKS, they are not supposed to ride like that and the shocks are shot, ours had 40,000 on them, with mostly hi-way miles and they were easily compressible by hand.

Old 12-13-2000, 06:06 PM
fxloop1
New User

I hope i'm not too late but i'd like to help you out! I've just changed my shocks on my '98 sport and the ride is 110% better! I used Gabriel gas sport shocks on the front ($24 ea)and Gabriel HiJackers on the rear,$50 pr.(air shocks that are
adjustable;keeps the back end level, even with a load)I don't know why people spend close to $300 for shocks when you can obtain an awsome ride from spending less than $100.
Just my opinion,Try these out since changing the shocks out body lean and bouncy handeling have all but dissapeared.

Old 12-27-2000, 10:47 PM
mchapman
Freshman User

Hi everyone with a bumpy Explorer,

I have a 95 Explorer that handles well but rides so rough that you cannot even hold a beverage without spilling it. Small objects will fly from your hand, smokers drop their ashes every time. I will never buy another Explorer simply because of this mega truck hard as rocks ride.

Desparate to fix it, I replaced the shocks with standard OEM shocks. The premium brand shocks were rated for a heavier ride, thus bumpier. At least, that was what the parts store told me. It didn't matter. The new shocks had zero effect on the hard ride. The old shocks showed no sign of deterioration, so I basically wasted my time and money on that!

My neighbor is an over the rode truck driver. I believe what he told me about the ride. He said the main reason was because I had 6 ply truck tires, inflated to recommended 35 psi. I can't prove it, but I believe everything he said, because soft car rides are from 4 ply tires, at 32 psi.

I have General tires on it.

Mark

Old 01-04-2001, 02:23 PM
tmburke
New User

I've always found ride harshness to be a factor of three things spring stiffness, tire pressure/stiffness, and shock preload. Shocks have the least to due with the stiff ride and springs more so. Excessive bounce and sway are more a result of worn shocks. When a vehicle " bottoms out" its from worn springs not bad shocks. If the ride is too harsh for your liking there are aftermarket springs that can soften the ride for you. Switching to a light truck tire may help as well. These are expensive options though so I'd do them when you would replace them anyway. The entire suspension should be tuned to each other. So using a soft shock with stiff springs may not give the results you're after either. I belive there is a product called "softride" that promises to add some lift without knocking your teeth out. I forget who its from though.

Old 12-16-2002, 02:07 PM
scosee
New User

just replace 95 XLT stock shock w/ Gaberial LT VST (Autozone $24). Whole new vehicile, but not sport firm. I did not replace the shocks w/ premium type for I feared a stiff/harsh ride (also on budget). I now some what regret not getting Blisten's for the ride is a bitty to cushy(bobble) and beleive firmer shock would flatten the ride.

Old 12-18-2002, 07:10 PM
scottswann
New User

The Explorer's somewhat stiff ride is a direct result of Ford trying to offer superior road handling in an SUV. If you want a carlike ride, BUY A CAR! The stiff suspension package makes the SUV less apt to roll over and safer to drive. Any good SUV or pickup should have a somewhat stiffer feel to it than a car. If it doesn't, then you have a problem.

The Durango is a fine example. Yes, it does have a very soft, comfortable ride. But it also has the worst rollover rating in any SUV, and when you take it off-road, it is a piece of *****.

My .02

Old 12-18-2002, 08:50 PM
ckrichard
Elder User
Post Shock Absorbers for 1997 Explorer

The best thing i ever did to help the ride in my explorer was put on a pair of rancho 9000x in the rear. the adjustibility gets rid of the woring if the shock is too stiff or too soft. Yes, they are a little expensive, but if you tow anything they are a even better deal. It is basicly nine different shocks rolled into one.

Chris

Old 12-19-2002, 05:48 AM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-19-2002, 07:49 AM
marrug
Senior User

Sorry guys...went missing for awhile there. There have to be dozens of posts on this, if you havent already bought them. Scroll down or check the archive search feature. Clearly, you have to be honest with yourself what kind of driving you do. 90% on road, you like your comfort, or mostly off road Bajamobile stuff. "Ride" is purely and totally subjective, its what you think you feel in your *** rolling down the road, going arond corners, hitting bumps, etc. Handling can actually be measured, but you need a course and instruments to quantify it. I replaced the shocks on mine after about a month of research. I kind of had the feeling it was as big a decision as I was likely to make in my ownership of my Explorer. I mean was my entire body was going to perceive when I drove it. I am absolutely satisfied in every way with my Monroe Reflexes. Lots of explanations of them all over this site; but the key for me was their performance on the street. My *** is very sensitive and likes its comfort. Monroe has a very interesting website. They own Rancho, and its the same shock line in a different wrapper for less $$. As to the others, every has an opinion, but if you guess wrong, you're screwed, you get to live with them for years, of spend even more to replace them. The Monoe's are doing EXACTLY what I hoped they'd do.

Quick Reply: Shock Absorbers for 1997 Explorer