Computer Chips & Tuners  

E-150 conversion van, 5.0L. To chip or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 07:02 PM
fburress
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question E-150 conversion van, 5.0L. To chip or not?

I have an E-150 conversion with a 5.0L E4OD trans and 3:55 rear that I use to tow my 4400 Lbs travel trailer. It tows ok with no headwind and hills but is a real dog uphill and against the wind. My questions are will a Diablo chip really give me a noticable difference in power towing this trailer? Where do I find the existing chip and ECU code that Diablo needs from me? Thier tech guy said it was on the drivers side kick panel. What the heck is a kick panel? I'm not much on auto terminology but I work as an electronics technician so installing this chip should not be a big deal. Any help would be appreciated

Old 06-15-2004, 09:34 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A kick panel is the panel to the left (driver's side) or right (passenger side) of your feet. Its named appropriately.

Here's a better way: open the hood. You'll see the computer sticking through the firewall. There will be white sticker on it -- the code is on that.

You left out an important piece of information: what year is your van?

Yes, it will add power. No, it will not make an earth shattering difference like a diesel chip will. Rather, expect about a 10% increase in power. It will make towing easier, but it won't turn a 5.0 into a 5.8! :-)

Old 06-16-2004, 04:54 PM
fburress
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Year of van

The van is a 1993. I really didn't expect anything earth shattering but 10% would be real nice. We use the camper mainly for beach trips on the east coast so its mostly flat land. Also I understant 93 octane is necessary with a chip. Is this correct? Even a one mpg increase in gas milage would almost even it out. This forum has been real helpful with towing info etc. Also I installed a K&N air filter. I guess the little things will add up. Next year I'm going diesel. The van will have to get through the summer. Thanks for all the good info.I've learned a lot from this site and will refer it to other Ford owners

Old 06-18-2004, 09:56 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You would need to use a minimum of 92 octane for the chip.