Attention All 57 - 60 F-series Owners for the Registry - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Reload this Page >

Attention All 57 - 60 F-series Owners for the Registry

Notices
1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Attention All 57 - 60 F-series Owners for the Registry

Old 07-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Bruce in Iowa
Freshman User
Bruce in Iowa is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey guys (and gals too!!!)....This is gonna be fun. I have a 1957 F-250 step side that I was going to sell. Original Iowa farm truck with "hog stickers" on the hood and a 272 under it. Maybe I'll just hang on to the old girl and wait for us to have a 57-60 national summer drive-in weekend somewhere. I have lots of room here in eatern Iowa and I'm just north of I-80 and 60 miles west of the Mississippi. august or September would be good! .......... Bruce in Iowa (I'll get the numbers to you for the registry asap.)

Old 07-03-2004, 03:27 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Sixoh is starting off with a positive reputation.
Far out, Bruce! I'll be waitin' for the info....I'm up to #91 today. Who wants to be #92? I live in McPherson, Ks., just a little SW of you.

Hey Fireman - we're home for the summer in Columbus, and I work in Cincinnati. I'll be back down there this Sunday...where are you located? I'd like to come see your truck in the flesh!

Shane

Old 07-03-2004, 04:18 PM
Bruce in Iowa
Freshman User
Went out and got the info from the plate on the driver side rear post. Here it is.
Serial number - 25K7K20868 - WB 118 - Color R - Date 18 D - Trans A - Axle 4 - GVW 07400 - HP [email protected] What can you tell me about this truck from the vin number, date, and axle code? ....... Bruce in Iowa

Old 07-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Cincinnati Fireman
New User
Cincinnati Fireman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sixoh, I''m at the firehouse for the next few days or else I'd love to show you the truck. All I have done so far is pull the doghouse off, along with the doors. Next I'd like to pull the bed and maybe the cab. The first big shot of money will be the pw front disc brake conversion. I may pull the 223 and send it out for a rebuild. It ran 2 years ago pretty well except for a bad timing adjustment, but it hasn't been turned over since. I'm just shooting from the hip here.

Old 07-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Bruce - this breaks down to say:

F25 - F250
K - 272 2bbl V8
7 - 1957
K - Kansas City assy. plant
20868 - consecutive unit production #

118 - Wheelbase
R - Vermillion Red
1 - April 18, 1957
Trans A - 3spd. manual
Axle 4 - ???

The rest says right on the plate, 7400lb Gross Vehicle Weight. Engine has 145 hp @ 4100 RPM.
You got me on the axle code, I'm off the chart after Code 3! Someone here can fill that in for us! I hope.

Old 07-03-2004, 08:58 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
mr4speedford is starting off with a positive reputation.
4.56 for 57 rear axle. Shane, I'm going to send a complete decode info to you. -4speed

Old 07-03-2004, 09:24 PM
Bruce in Iowa
Freshman User
Awesome!! Thanks a bunch - paint code should be FR though (faded red) LOL! But it's still the original red! Is there any break down on body styles ie: number of stepsides produced for instance? Seems I hardly ever see the 8' stepside body style but see quite a fair number of the flaresides. Just curious........ FYI - I had a 1959 flareside for several years but it was green. Always have liked this body style much better than the previous styles or the 1961 and later. On to another subject - the weekend after labor day - Sept 10-12 or the following weekend - Sept 17-19 are both open for me if anyone cares to make a trip to Iowa. I'm in a small town and have space for quite a few vehicles if anyone is interested in starting an annual get together of 57-60's. I've got a horseshoe pit and an outdoor grill......but only one bathroom .........Maybe roast up a hog or something.........Let me know what you think...... Bruce in Iowa

Old 07-03-2004, 09:25 PM
Bruce in Iowa
Freshman User
Thanks for the axle info. I'd sure appreciate seeing the decode stuff also. ....... Bruce ..

Old 07-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Sixoh
Elder User
Bruce - I will definitely keep that in mind for a gathering. I won't be able to coordinate one this soon, as I'm still in school in Kansas with an incredible amount of responsabilities. Iowa is a good central location, country-wise. We'll have to see.

Shane

Old 07-04-2004, 08:53 AM
marcw
New User
marcw is starting off with a positive reputation.
For the Registry. Hi My name is marc I live in Gingin 50 miles north of Perth Western Australia. I have owned a 59 F250 since 89. It was custom fitted new with a sleeper cab on delivery to Oz. The sleeper cab because it was used for 10 years towing new caravans(trailer homes) across Oz delivering them from east to West as there weren't too many vans made this side of the country then. I have photos of her now and a photo or two of what I intend doing to her over the next 2 years. But I have no idea how to post them.
It is night here at the moment so you will have to wait for daylight for all of the vins and other stuff.
At present the drivetrain is 351, FMX, Dana 70.
Intended rebuild it a radical attention grabbing business vehicle. I grow chillies and make chilli sauces, cheeses , oils, olives etc and we are called "The Oz Chilliman"

I need a rig strong and powerful enough to pull a 25' fifth wheeler to the food fairs and shows built with enough thought and grunt to drop the trailer and get very respectable times on the local Drag strip. All good advertising for the business.

Intended modification are a 3'+ chassis stretch with the sleeper cab streched as well. Then 3 rows of comfy seating to seat a total of 7 or 8, preferably 8 with a front 2 captains, center 3 buckets and rear 3 buckets configuration.

Intended drive train so far is. Stroked and twin turbo charged 460+ci, Turbo 400 with overdrive, ( I believe that overdrive is available in all 3 gears), Twin dana diffs in the rear to make her a six wheeler to handle the extra weight of the trailer. I have heard that dana make a 90 is this true. The power to the 2 rear diffs would have to be obviously run through a splitter with maybe an air locker option? Dont need or want a diff in the front.
Any ideas, comments, criticisms thoroughly welcome in this the stripping & planning stage. If someone has better, gruntier dual purpose running gear ideas I am really keen to hear them.
I can email a couple of photos to someone to post with my registry info if there is any one willing to oblige. Are 1959 parts readily available in the USA. Since she has been customized with the sleeper since new I dont feel guilty about rodding her. So would like to refit inside with the newest F series or excursion interior I can afford and/or find. Same goes with the frontend, suspension, steering and brakes. She has Louisville air horns on my mantle piece awaiting the job but need to fit best possible compressor available for pickup trucks suv's.
That's all for now (thank god they say)but will update during the refit as often as possible.
I am genuine in my quest for knowledge and maybe better, gruntier, smoother and more reliable running gear if known. I will probably fly to the USA later this year or early next for a few rounds of the chilli, fiery foods festivals across your beautiful country so will take the opportunity to visit the wrecking yards and fill a container with parts to complete the build. Also interested in the best rims and tyres for the job.
Going for the dual purpose trailer hauler and street drag class racer is a bit more of a challenge but hey the business is paying for the rebuild so it needs to get as advertising publicity it can.
Do they make much in the way of reproduction parts for 59's in the USA now .
I also need the wickedest paint job imaginable with plenty of scope there for flames and hot colours being a chilli business vehicle.
Looking forward to heaps of good advice and tech tips on my rebuild so heres to her.
Cheers Marc
The Oz Chilliman
West Oz

Old 07-04-2004, 09:11 AM
Cincinnati Fireman
New User
Cincinnati Fireman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does anybody have any info on if doorskins are available for '59s? Also I was wondering if someone out there has info on door locks for that year. My truck has a lock on the rt door but not on the left. I don't know which is original, but I would like to have a lock on the left and I don't know where else to look for a door set up.

Old 07-04-2004, 10:11 AM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
mr4speedford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nobody makes door skins, Only rust free donor's from out west.

As far as door locks. Standard cabs only had a rh-side one beacuse ford didn't want people opening the door onto traffic. Custom cabs came equipped with left and right's. So since you need new doors, try finding a set of custom-cab doors. Any more questions, please post a new thread on the board. -4speed

Old 07-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Bruce in Iowa
Freshman User
4speed is right on and Ford wasn't the only one who did this. My '49 Chevy wrecker only has a lock on the passenger side as does some of my other trucks. ........ Bruce in Iowa

Old 07-04-2004, 12:40 PM
kooper909
Elder User
kooper909 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by mr4speedford
Standard cabs only had a rh-side one beacuse ford didn't want people opening the door onto traffic. Custom cabs came equipped with left and right's.
So did Ford want their more affluent customers to get killed opening the door in traffic? O__o

Old 07-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Thanks 4speed. You guys are killing me!

Hey Chilliman! Welcome to the board! You have come to the right place, for sure!

You may want to cut and paste that War & Peace of a post you wrote up as its own post. It won't get read too often here....this thread is just for the registry. Cut and paste that text and title it "Big conversion ideas for the '59 250" or something.

We'll all help ya out!

- Step Up Or Step Aside
Von Walp and the Voodoo Daisy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Attention All 57 - 60 F-series Owners for the Registry

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.