Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Bronco II leaks

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 04:33 PM
flopp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bronco II leaks

hey my 1988 bronco II 2.9 v6 4x4 with standard trans is leaking up front I know because the driver floor is always wet after rain does anyone know were to look.

Old 06-11-2004, 04:05 PM
BroncII
Junior User
Was the windshield replaced recently? Did you check the rubber plugs in the firewall? Good seal around the shifting boot?

Old 06-12-2004, 06:05 PM
ShawnZ
Senior User
are there cats around where you keep your truck that could get in there when it rains?

Old 06-14-2004, 07:52 PM
Stumpdaddy
New User
I have the same problem. Only my floor is wet on passenger side. I found the problem today. The seal around the windshield on upper corner had dried and cracked. Rain was coming off drip rail and under windshield trim. The rain ran down the door seal and under the carpet. I had to take the kick panel and inside windshield trim off to find it.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Old 06-16-2004, 12:44 PM
Stumpdaddy
New User
I worked some more on the leak on my Bronco II Turns out it wasn't just the windshield seal that was the culprit. There was a rust hole right in front of the drip rail where the water dumps onto the windshield. Water was running down the door post and behind the computer onto the floor under the carpet.
Check the area in front of the drip rail real good. I couldn't tell there was a hole there until I pushed a screwdriver through it.

Old 06-17-2004, 10:23 AM
NetRider
New User
It always leaking... Tons of gaskets and much more... It still leakin.... If u wanna a fresh and clear floor in your garage - bye another car :-))))

Old 06-18-2004, 09:44 PM
jjcast
Freshman User
Leaky bronco II

I have an '88 II driver side leaks terribly. bought it used, found a huge hole in the firewall behind the emergency brake. Guy i bought it from had stuffed fiberglass insulation in a garbage bag up there. Great solution. Seems like the whole seam down that side is rusted thru. Big ugly job to fix. Although ive found on smaller holes that DO NOT open to the engine compartment the DOW expanding foam insulation stuff really fills it well and seals good. Easier than tearing it down and replacing or welding new.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:54 AM
Big-Joe
New User
I too have a problem with my '89 BII XLT leaking during heavy rain, both driver and passenger floors are currently wet. As far as the "fiberglass inside the garbage bags" goes, it was done from the factory I know two '89 BII's that have the exact same thing. I have removed mine and tried using expanding foam in place of them. It hasn't fixed the problem. I'm at a loss, I guess it's time to start stripping it down and tracing it. I am new to the forum and would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks

Joe

Old 01-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Stumpdaddy
New User
Big-Joe
Make sure you check the drip rails over the doors. Thats where mine was leaking. There was a tiny hole in the front of the drip rail and the water was running down the door post to the floor. I spent a couple of hours with a garden hose before I found it. Check the area real good. I didn't find the hole until I started poking around lightly with a screwdriver. The floor was getting wet during a rain storm even when it was parked in the driveway, so for the most part I ruled out a problem at the firewall. (Engine compartment was dry during rain)
You may not have the same problem, but it's a place to check out anyway.
Good Luck!

Old 01-11-2005, 02:16 AM
87b2guy
Freshman User
My 87 BII has the same exact problem, cept mine has a moon roof that i think is the culprit. Im thinking of taking it down to a mobile glass place and having them re-seal all the windows in the front. Its not that big of a deal though, a little water on the floor never hurt anyone.

87b2guy
87 BII 2.9L V6 auto 30x9.5

Old 01-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Big-Joe
New User
Leaky Info

Well Stumpdaddy thanks for the input either today or tomorrow when the rain stops I am going to start investigating. I will certainly keep your idea in mind and it will be checked. It's frustrating, these trucks are great, but like all good things. they have their quirks. My buddy and I each have the same year model and we both have the same problem, seems like a lot of other people do also.

*Joe*

Old 01-11-2005, 11:08 AM
winddancer
Junior User
Here is another possible reason for the floor being wet. On BII's the drip pan under the wipers can get clogged. The result is water pouring in the vent on the passenger side. There is a cleanout located on the firewall drivers side. It is square and has a few bolts holding it in place. open it and reach in and pull out all the crap inside. Replace it and you will have solved the problem. This is one possible solution. I had to do this because it was full of leaves.
The insulation in the plastic bags is factory. I have it in mine.

Old 01-11-2005, 03:34 PM
hotrodmerc
Senior User
I've noticed my pass. floor is a little damp. Could this be from the cat. converter shield partially missing and causing the floor to sweat?

Old 01-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Big-Joe
New User
Wink I think I might cry.... well maybe not....

Ok this is a little update for you all and some info rolled into one.

I appreciate everyones input, im compliling it all for when I solve the leak once and for all. I've solved the wet carpet problem, sadly due to all the rain in southern california my carpet became saturated. I have had to pull the seat and the console, pull the entire carpet out with the attatched batting and it has been disposed of. I did find out a little bit of information for you all regarding the cat area... there is heatshielding between the cat and the bottom of the floor pan like we all knew and if your carpeting is original there is also heatsheilding between the carpet and the floor pan. There is a small chance that the passenger side heats up enough for condensation to form but I think it is more likely that the area between the windshield and hood is clogged as winddancer so kindly told us, and also gave us the fix to. Thanks winddancer! As far as the carpet goes for me, I will be sealing my interior, running any new wiring, coating the floor, adding heat and sound deadener and putting in new rugs. I have so far seen the carpets in JC whitney, I also want to point out to everyone LMCtruck.com had a great Ranger/BII catalog available free with all sorts of great stuff in it for restoring and replacing.
*Well once again continued thanks to all for advice and ideas, I dont want to drone on any longer and get banned from this place.*

Old 01-14-2005, 04:30 AM
winddancer
Junior User
Big Joe-
I'm glad I could help. I'm discovering all kinds of things while rebuilding my BII. Also, if anyone has ever tried or is planning on trying to change the color of your intierior I can give advice on that as I've been working on mine for the last two weeks. Taking it from the original blue to black. Painting each part by removing, cleaning, drying and painting it with vinyl and fabric paint. It looks great so far. But then I'm still not quite halfway done.

Quick Reply: Bronco II leaks