1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Diagnostic code P0401 Insufficient EGR Flow

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 09:03 AM
PhilcoPGM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The DPFE is on the driver's side of my 1998 F 150. To replace it, disconnect the small wire harness that attaches to the DPFE by pinching it off and setting it aside. Two small nuts that mount the DPFE ...remove these, but don't drop them. Two large vacuum hoses have to be removed from the DPFE. One hose has a larger hole that attaches to one port, and a smaller hole that attaches to a smaller port on the DPFE. The hoses must not be reversed, so use common sense. Slap the new DPFE on. Attach hoses, and reattach the electrical connector. Could anything be simpler? Just make sure the DPFE is bad to begin with. The new Ford DPFE is black plastic, and your original is metal. Don't buy an aftermarket DPFE as I heard Ford had redesigned the DPFE.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:27 PM
graaam
New User
Everyone loves a success story. I want to say thanks to the folks who took the time to post their opinions for the P0401 code. My 99 Expedition has 130K and was missing a little on acceleration and then the CE light came on, went off and then came on to stay. I removed the throttle body and the two EGR ports were packed with black gunk. Cleaned them out with the handle of a little file and a rag. Put humpy dumpty back together and when I started the truck the CE light was gone. I also cleaned the battery terminal while I was filthy so I'm not sure whether that cleared the light nor not.

The beast idles better and does not misfire anymore either. Yee haw. At about 60K I got the same code and the shop replaced the DPFE sensor. This time it was blocked ports. You only need the throttle body gasket ($10 from dealer) but I took the EGR valve off anyway because it was easier to get to the bolts. So I got the EGR gasket, too. Took me about an hour and I'm not a mechanic. You'll need 10MM extended socket and a 5/16 for the throttle body bolts. It's 95 outside and the beer tastes good after that.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:21 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome graaam, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 07-21-2005, 03:20 AM
tb40nd
Senior User
Originally Posted by graaam
Everyone loves a success story. I want to say thanks to the folks who took the time to post their opinions for the P0401 code. My 99 Expedition has 130K and was missing a little on acceleration and then the CE light came on, went off and then came on to stay. I removed the throttle body and the two EGR ports were packed with black gunk. Cleaned them out with the handle of a little file and a rag. Put humpy dumpty back together and when I started the truck the CE light was gone. I also cleaned the battery terminal while I was filthy so I'm not sure whether that cleared the light nor not.

The beast idles better and does not misfire anymore either. Yee haw. At about 60K I got the same code and the shop replaced the DPFE sensor. This time it was blocked ports. You only need the throttle body gasket ($10 from dealer) but I took the EGR valve off anyway because it was easier to get to the bolts. So I got the EGR gasket, too. Took me about an hour and I'm not a mechanic. You'll need 10MM extended socket and a 5/16 for the throttle body bolts. It's 95 outside and the beer tastes good after that.
hey, thanx for the update on your run in with this sensor... do you think you could post some pics of the areas you cleaned and give an example of how clogged the ports were?

i'm having the same or a similar issue and i want to be sure i'm cleaning the right area. however, i'm yet to come across any ports that were actually clogged in any way. i see plenty of black gunk around the walls of the ports but nothing that i could see which would really impede airflow.

thanx in advance for your help.

-rtb

Old 07-21-2005, 03:50 AM
tb40nd
Senior User
i think i figured it out after reading a little further in this thread... so the ports that need to be checked for build up are not on the egr valve itself but where the egr connects to on the engine?

someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:43 AM
jlv3901
New User
Thumbs up What needs cleaned

Two ports or "holes" from the egr mounting surface into the throttle body. If I remember correctly they are about 3/8" dia or 10mm in diameter. Mine were so blocked and hardened at spots I had to use an exteneded length drill bit to break up the carbon. Only use the drill bit by hand to avoid gouging and drilling into aluminum body and gauge your depth by the location where the holes come 90 degrees into the throttle body. I also used quite a bit of throttle body cleaner to wash out debris as I went and to let it soak in while. Mine was pretty bad and I also changed out dpfe sensor first which wasn't the problem at all but it did check bad according to my Haynes manual.
Haynes manual...about $15
Ford-trucks.com...priceless!

Old 07-21-2005, 01:46 PM
96xltf150
Freshman User
Exactly what is the DPFE sensor, and where is it located?? I get the same code on my 2001 and it only has 31,000 miles.
Thanks

Old 07-21-2005, 02:14 PM
tb40nd
Senior User
Originally Posted by jlv3901
Haynes manual...about $15
Ford-trucks.com...priceless!
man, you can say that again!

i tried cleaning that area best i could with a bent screw driver but mine didn't seem to be all that clogged up as the screwdriver made it pretty far back without meeting any resistance or blockage of any kind. is there anything inside the port that could be damaged if i pushed the screwdriver to far back?

so i still think i'm missing something.

however, even with the very little bit of black stuff i was able to get out of the port when i test drove the car i could definitely tell it had more power on acceleration. oh yeah, could the extra power be a result of me mending the larger of two hoses coming off the solenoid right next to the DPFE? it was cracked at the top where the hose goes around the tip of the solenoid port so i wrapped it up good with some electrical tape.

hey jlv you couldn't happen to have a digital camera would you? it would really help if someone would take a pic of this area and post it in the OP (original post... first post in this thread).

Last edited by tb40nd; 07-21-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:26 AM
jlv3901
New User
Thumbs up dpfe and egr ports

Sorry but I don't have access to a digital camera. The Haynes manual has some decent pics in it and a brief troubleshooting section of the dpfe sensor, although I believe it is inaccurate in the testing information.The dpfe sensor is on the drivers side of the throttle body with two egr hoses and a three? wire electrical connection. The sensor itself is about 1.5" x 3.5" rectangle and it sounds like maybe thats one of the lines you repaired. If that is true you should replace the cracked line because that leak will throw off the sensor which I believe is looking at pressure differentials of the exhaust gas recirculation(egr) system and that will give a "code". If you remove the throttle body you will see the two egr port holes entering the bore and you would see the end of the screw driver if inserted from the egr end, obviously with the egr valve removed. Do not try to clean out the ports without removal of the throttle body as any loosened carbon will end up in the cylinders! Since the port coming from the egr end makes a 90 degree bend and splits into two ports in the throttle body, kind of L shaped, you have to examine and clean it from both ends. Your truck doesn't seem to have enough miles on it to probably have this problem. I purchased a ford truck manual cd on ebay last year and it has some decent pics and info. Didn't seem like a bad deal for $25

Old 07-22-2005, 10:27 AM
tb40nd
Senior User
thanx a bunch m8 - i was able to get a lot done last night and after driving it last night and this morning i haven't had the code come back yet. i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

i ended up getting some of the areas cleaned yesterday. i used some throttle body cleaner from adv. auto parts and a rolled up section of window screen wrapped in a thin shop towel to clean the smaller openings.

i am still yet to come across a port that is even partically clogged? the only build up i see is the thin layer of black gunk around the walls. is this what everyone is cleaning b/c i'm yet to see where this stuff has formed an obtruction.

Last edited by IB Tim; 09-03-2005 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:02 AM
oldpath
New User
Thanks everyone for the information posted here... I have a 97 4.6L F-150. 0401 error code was a constant battle. Removed the throttle body and neck from the exhaust manifold... cleaned the 2 small ports ( both were plugged)... slapped everything back together (with new gaskets)... no more error code and truck runs much better.

Thanks to all.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:39 PM
materman
New User
Smile materman

new user. have 99 f150 5.4 v8. started having surging at steady speed. CE lite came on. had code taken. got famous 401 !!!!! checked wires & hoses did check on egr valve, put hose on valve and sucked, engine almost stalled. so all i have read on here points to DPFE sensor. truck has 58000 miles. going to pick up FPFE sensor tomorrow. if this works will post soon. thanks to all. with info on forum i fixed 2 door actuators for $28. later ya'll.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Trublufords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P0401 insuf. EGR flow----First thing, pull vac on egr vac port when engine is running.Idles bad with vac. applied, passages are NOT stopped up, bad dpfe sensor.Applying vac and NO idle change--EGR passages are carboned up(stopped up) and need to be cleaned!!!

Old 09-02-2005, 11:55 PM
yeeha68
New User
How about an engine that will not idle on cold start-up and has the p0401 code? I replaced the EGR valve...not the problem. Disconected the vacum to the EGR, still does not idle. Does this point to the DPFE sensor or the EVR.
-98' Expedition 4.6-

Old 09-03-2005, 06:07 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by oldpath
Thanks everyone for the information posted here... I have a 97 4.6L F-150. 0401 error code was a constant battle. Removed the throttle body and neck from the exhaust manifold... cleaned the 2 small ports ( both were plugged)... slapped everything back together (with new gaskets)... no more error code and truck runs much better.

Thanks to all.
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
Take a moment to read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Quick Reply: Diagnostic code P0401 Insufficient EGR Flow