1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

is there an email address where ford will answer hd ps ????

Old 07-15-1999, 06:36 AM
rmunn@kingdomcity.net
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have several question on ford truck options and no one seems to be able to answer them. doesn't ford have an answer man that can tell you about an option or answer question about it?

Old 07-15-1999, 07:12 PM
Fred

What are you looking for the truck to do?
And what do you want it to be?

Old 07-16-1999, 12:43 PM
rmunn@kingdomcity.net
New User

5th wheel tow

do i need a

674 heavy service package
probably will not put a winch on vehicle

what does the 96 p full function auxiliary idle control do -- is it for conroling idle speed ie to re charge trailer batteries or is it a device for power take off?

Old 07-16-1999, 05:42 PM
Fred

Okay, you want to pull a fifth wheel trailer. Are you going to get a dually? I hope so, if you are towing that alot.
I'd go for the heavier duty setup, it's better to err on the side of stronger than weaker.
About how much weight do you plan on pulling?
How much highway miles vs. local will you do?
This is for selecting the proper ratio for the rear.
Also, DON'T get a gas motor, only a diesel for pulling heavy weight, sorry guys with V10's they just aren't up to the task.

The APCM (auxillary powertrain control module) that adjusts the idle/engine rpm, is useful for more than just pto equipped trucks. You can set it on cold days and it will quickly warm the cab. It also has a charge protect feature, if you set it to that position it will adjust the idle accordingly to maintain correct voltage.

Old 07-18-1999, 10:51 AM
rmunn@kingdomcity.net
New User

planning to use truck for 5tyh wheel and bass boat. we will go on the road for 3-6 months at a time. so dually is already figured. selected 4:10 SINCE I WANT TO PULL A 30'er. the 674 is a heavy service suspension and it says in the ford options it is for heavy loads for front axel. ie winches. not sure i will get one winch) but will be towing heavy 5th wheel and thought the heavy service package might be a good idea. question is do you get this package.

friend has suggested crew cab rather than super cab.

your comments on the 96p indicate that it is exactly what i thought i was buying -- i want to to be able to charge the trailer batteries and i like the indicators as a saftey feature. i am considering the dual 95 amp rather than the 130 since i "believe" that means you have more charging capability.

thanks for the help--i have been trying to get an answer from the salesman and ford not to no avail.

ray

Old 07-18-1999, 12:12 PM
Fred
Freshman User

Pulling a 30' trailer, this truck should have no problem with that. I have seen some around here with 45' tri-axle "house" trailers here, and 40' 6 to 12 horse 4-axle trailers too.
Sounds good on your selection of ratio for the rear. If you plan on being on the highway, it should be a good choice. You should see about 2200 to 2500rpm at 70mph.
I'm not sure, but I think if you get a crew cab, it may limit the amount that you can pull, because of the trucks extra weight. These trucks aren't lightweights to begin with.
One thing I forgot to ask, are you getting 4wd?
The heavier suspension, I believe, also is for snowplow guys as well.
I'd get the dual alternators, which I think is part of the "ambulance/camper package".
I am not sure how the dual alternators are wired, as if 1 does the trucks batteries and 1 does the "camper/whatever". Or if they both run together.
Either way with 180 amps you should have enough.
Look to get whatever are the lightest aluminum rims you can get for the truck (I think Ford offers forged aluminum rims), they will help in accleration and ride quality, by reducing rotating mass and unsprung weight.
I'll look into the alternator thing, to see exactly what Ford does with that.

Old 08-11-1999, 11:00 PM
r munn

what you suggested is why i am trying to find a ford rep that will answer the questions--no one seems to know about the dual amps and how they work and some of the options--i have been trying for several months. your answers are really the only ones i have gotten and the salesman contacting ford has produced the same info in the optin package which is worthless. after getting no info from ford and the story on the bolt i am haveing some second thoughts on ford. i have put in an order for a ford but i can cancel it and get all back. surley ford that has this great web site would have an address to ask technical questins about their product--are they hiding something?

Old 11-29-1999, 11:44 AM
Jeff Nelson

I also am interested in the advantage of dual alternators, as I own a 2000 with them, but do not understand the benefit, or what I should know about wiring and function.

Also if any on can tell me how to get better than 13.8 MPG out of a dually 4wd crew cab I would like to know.

Old 11-30-1999, 09:30 AM
rmunn@kingdomcity.net
New User

jeff i have ordered on not knowing what the advantage is -- have tried for almost 5 months to find out no one seems to know

again ford has NO ONE tha tyou go to for these answers --- if they got a better idea they sure as hell don't advertise it or have ANY customer orientation at all---hope the vehicle is better than the marketing because i can't figure out how they stay alive with such poor customer interface! let me know if you find out.

Old 12-01-1999, 09:52 AM
Jeff Nelson

I have 2000 miles on my 2000 F350 XLT Turbo Diesel dually crew cab 4x4. I tow a 32 foot 5th wheel, My GCWR is 18,000 lbs. this truck handles the job in comfort and with out a problem. Has much more pulling power than my 87 460 super cab it replaced. This is the best truck I have ever drove. Only getting 9.5 MPG when towing and 13.8 MPG unloaded combined city - hiway. I have been told that the mileage improves after 2,000 miles. I will have to wait and see.

Regardless you will be very happy with this truck when it arrives. I too had to wait 2 months and order a truck sight un-seen. 1st time I have done that. Best choice I have ever made.

Check out FORDS WEB site WWW.ford.com
You can sign up to there club after your vehicle arrives. You need a VIN number. After that you get a E-Mail address to ask questions about your truck. I have tried this to find out about my dual alternators. When I get a reply I will post it here.

Old 12-14-1999, 10:06 AM
Jeff Nelson

It took a week and a half for the boys at FORD to research this and this is what they came up with.

Dear Mr. Nelson,

Thank you for your message of 12/04/99 regarding your 2000 Ford F-350.
We appreciate the time you have taken to write us inquiring about
specific advantages of the dual alternator set-up in your vehicle.

We contacted the Kentucky Truck plant on your behalf, and spoke to
Micheal Cosson the plant Technical Advisor. He informed us that due to
the high compression ratio of the diesel engines they automatically come
with dual batteries. The dual alternators are optional, and have a
mainly commercial application. Ideally this set-up is for vehicles that
will be left in idle for long periods of time. The dual alternators
ensure that the batteries remain appropriately charged after extended
periods standing in idle.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. We appreciate the time you
have taken to write us.

At Ford Motor Company, we consider the satisfaction of our customers as
one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries or
concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address
them.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,
Patrick
Ford Motor Company
Customer Assistance Center (mc)

Old 12-16-1999, 05:57 AM
dberry
New User

Jeff,

I too have a 2000 PSD witht he dual alternators (at least I ordered it with dual alternators) but I can't find the second alternator. Where are your's located? The one I can see is obvious because its up front and on top. Any thoughts?

Dave

Old 12-18-1999, 01:07 AM
Jeff
Junior User

The second alternator is located up front on the bottom on the opposite side as the top alternator. May have to look from under truck to see.

Old 12-26-1999, 06:42 PM
whd507
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you paid for dual alternators be damn sure they are there. I looked at a 2wd,CC,SRW,LB,XLT,6sp. and the sticker listed dual alternators but it had only one.
I know it only had one and the dealer would not discount the difference. later learned that dealer had swapped all brackets,a/c,wiring harness, and every thing else connected to the dual alternators, onto another truck and converted this CC into single alt.found out from a dealer tech at church.

Old 05-24-2000, 08:15 PM
dumontkid
Senior User

this is an old message but i'll throw my two cents in anyway. on aircraft with twin engines you will have "dual alternators" (one on ach engine). they utilize a (and i'm not sure on the exact name) balancing/ equalizing circuit. this allows the two alternators to have the same amp output without one, lets say, putting out 80 amps and the other 20 thus dividing the work load.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: is there an email address where ford will answer hd ps ????