Adding Propane??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 12:04 PM
JL-Cowboy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding Propane??

Hey guys: I wanted to ask before I do it. I have a 2000 PSD (see gallery for all mods) and I tow alot, the truck runs pretty good but I would like to have a little more hp. If I add propane to her what kind of kit should I get and will I see a noticable difference in towing performance? And is there anything else I need to do to the truck before I add it? Thanks for any and all help. JL

Old 05-17-2004, 12:28 PM
FarmerPhilCo
Senior User
make your own, it is cheaper

Old 05-17-2004, 02:16 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
If you understand how these systems work, it would be cheaper to make your own. If you don't, (and I didn't at the time,) I'd recommend the Powershot2000 system. (I see that you've got a BullyDog chip, and that company also makes a propane system, but I think it's got it's weaknesses when compared to a Powershot2000.) The Powershot is simple, relatively foolproof, and will give you a definite boost in power, approximately 80-100rwhp.
With your list of mods, you've got all the stuff you need to maximize the system, but you'd probably need to get the chip reprogrammed for propane use. With propane, you don't want/need any fuel timing advance, and your chip most likely has that, as a means to boost your current power.
Since BullyDog sells a propane system of their own, I'm certain they can reprogram it for you with a more suitable program.

Old 05-17-2004, 10:37 PM
96ford4x4turbodiesel
Senior User
will the superchip micro reprogrammer work with propane? and will they both be giving the hp that they should

Old 05-18-2004, 04:34 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I'm not very familiar with what the programmers options are. If it allows you to add fuel without advancing the fuel timing, then they'd work together. Assuming so, altering the fuel timing on the programmer would reduce the power output slightly from where it would be if advanced, but the propane adds so much more power than the programmer, you'd be thinking of the programmer as an accessory to the propane anyway.
On my truck, I had my flip chip reprogrammed to allow for propane. The program in my chip now isn't as strong as the program was before, when the fuel timing was advanced. However, now I flip on the propane, and have way more power than previously. My chip gives me the TDE0 code that I prefer, with all the tranny characteristics I like, and the propane supplies the power.
Using my butt-dyno, I'd say the propane adds three times the additional power of a chip.

Old 05-18-2004, 11:09 AM
JL-Cowboy
Freshman User
The propane kits I have found for sale on ebay look like they are easy to install and worth the money but, what kind of tank have you guys been using and where do you mount it. thanks JL

Old 05-18-2004, 05:28 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Since my system calls for vapor, I've got a vapor-draw tank made by Manchester. I've got it mounted under the bed of the truck, here.
A lot of guys just use two barbecue tanks, and put them in the bed of the truck or in a tool box. I didn't want to sacrifice my bed, so I went this route.

Old 05-19-2004, 02:11 PM
FarmerPhilCo
Senior User
Cheap way to make your own:

Propane tank
gas regulator
propane flow valve for propane powered vehicles
hydraulic line
toggle switch

install the flow valve in the pre-turbo side of your intake pipe and rig your switch to it and you have a propane injection (run the propane at about 4psi)

Old 05-19-2004, 02:27 PM
JL-Cowboy
Freshman User
Farmer- I like doing stuff the cheap way but, I want to be safe. Do you have a set up like this? Does it work well? It sounds easy enough- would you have pics? thanks JL

Old 06-10-2004, 08:47 PM
530ccPREDATOR
Senior User
Quadzilla- Interested in doing a homemade setup, can you direct me to a past thread on this topic??? Please help the brother out. Charlie

Old 06-11-2004, 04:31 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Charlie- as much as I'd like to help you out, I don't advocate home made propane systems, so I don't bookmark links to threads that outline how to do it. FarmerPhilCo might be able to chime in here......

Old 06-11-2004, 06:51 AM
530ccPREDATOR
Senior User
I completely understand....I will get in touch with him asap. Hope he reads this thread, Charlie

Old 06-11-2004, 09:44 AM
powershotone
Junior User
You can build your own, and it will probably work, but you won't really experience what propane is all about, and when or if something happens, remember it probably wasn't the propane that caused the problem. Some things aren't worth cutting corners on. Be careful.