Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2003 Escape - Hatch will not Stay Shut

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:15 PM
rockit62
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Escape - Hatch will not Stay Shut

I have a 2003 Ford Escape that the rear window hatch will not stay shut. Two 12" long strips of duct tape holds it shut fine from the inside but my daughter is not pleased with that fix. She also insists that duct tape does not integrate with the factory installed security locks. Kids nowadays...

Any suggestions on what the problem might be. Thanks.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:28 AM
martin_csr
Senior User
I would open the window & take a look at stuff. Push on the locking mechanism at the top with a screwdriver - it should lock. Then operate the release handle - it should unlock. Maybe it needs lubrication. If no go, you could remove the interior plastic shroud from the hatch to gain access to the inner workings of the rear hatch. The plastic is held in place by 4 screws at the bottom - you have to open the hatch to get at 'em. I don't know the best way to remove the top portion near the glass... not sure how it's held in place. After that, I don't know how to proceed as I've never removed that panel. Photos & how-tos are scattered here n there on the internet at various Ford sites.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:04 AM
martin_csr
Senior User
Re: drill an access hole

If you remove the interior panel of the rear hatch, one thing I'll suggest doing is drilling a small access hole in the plastic in line with the main hatch rod. The locking actuator &/or other stuff on the Escape is known to fail; when it happens, there's no way to get the hatch open except to pull off the plastic at the top... doing so probably damages the plastic in some way or another. If you drill a hole, then you'll have access to the rod so that you can unlock the hatch. Someone said the dealer has a plastic button that can be popped into the hole; maybe the auto parts place or hardware store has something. I would buy the button first, then drill the hole.