General Automotive Discussion

Finding used parts. Tip's on finding deals.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Toyvo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Finding used parts. Tip's on finding deals.

Put on some rags (the pants and shirt you ware when you do a clutch job in the dirt on a rainy weekend). You will need cash these guys love cash oh and take off the Rolex if you have one. Find the listings for auto note lots (used car lots) and wrecking yards in your local phone directory. Find a clunker of a car to drive.Then drive to them (dont call). When passing the note lots look in the back of these lots do you see a shop? If so stop and ask if they have any junk cars. You would be supprised what you can find at the lot owners farm. Now here is the catch. The part you are looking for is for your grand mothers car. And she aint got much money. Always ask at the wrecking yard if you can walk around in the back and look for parts. Some of these guys wont go look for your part (if it aint in the computer we aint got it). Also ask the guy stripping the cars in the shop if he knows where the part you are looking for might be found. Also be prepared to deal with some real idiots. Good luck!
Anybody have some other good tips?

Old 06-06-2004, 07:02 AM
MrOldV8
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyvo...a lot of what you say is right. I found an Expy console at a junk yard and "talked" them into thinking it wasn't much good. The expy was hit hard and already had a lot of metal torched-off of it, so the console was exposed to the weather. I told them that it was blackened from sitting in the sun and rain, was covered with busted glass and blood, and I didn't know if I could bring it back...but I'd take it if I could have it cheap enough. They said "OK...go pull it and give us $10". TEN BUCKS!!! I spent the next hour carefully removing it plus all the brackets and screws, gave em the 10, and shot home with a smile on my face a yard wide. After a couple of days with a toothbrush and lots of 409, plus some paint, the console was in my F150. Guys usually spend quite a bit more for these, so I know I got a deal. Point is...If that part is dirty and ugly, especially soft trim parts, you might be able to talk a deal with the wrecking yards.

MR