Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3l will not start unless I plug it in below 45 degrees

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2000, 07:48 AM
klingon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 96 F350 crew. Up until recently it was starting fine. I know that it needs to be plugged in during the winter months but, it is not starting when the temp is below 45F. Also, sinse this started my mileage has gone from steady 17 mpg to around 9 mpg. I have 77k miles on the truck and am wondering if I might be having a problem with the glow plugs ??? I heard there is a cylinoid at the top of the motor that supplies juice to the plugs and it may be suspect...

Old 12-05-2000, 05:14 PM
powerstroker1234
Junior User

You might have the glow plug relay checked. It was 24 degrees this morning in Reno,Nv. My PSD started just fine as usual and I never plug in the block heater.I've been driving PSD'S in this area for 5yrs and never had a problem with cold weather starting even at 10 degrees without being plugged in, so check that relay,it seems to be the most common cause of hard starting....Les

Old 12-05-2000, 09:23 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

Hi, I have two words for you........GLOW PLUGS!!!! even though it seems to cycle through the warm up if the plug isn't lighting it will not start check your glow plugs, I can usually tell when mine are going it is usually one or two it starts to take longer to cycle through the warm up I went through that last winter and if you start it on any thing but diesel it sounds really bad I can't imagine starting it on either!!!! JOHN (FATFORTY)

Old 12-06-2000, 01:55 AM
bgodkin
Elder User

I just replaced the Glow plug controller in mine a couple months back. I priced a new one and about fell down. for an 86 with a 6.9 liter it is $109.00 at NAPA. I wound up taking my chances with one from a junk yard and it worked out great. Only paid $2 for it. I changed my relay thinking that was it and it wasn't. The relay was pretty cheap though. I think it was only $12.00 at autozone.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 12-06-2000, 10:21 AM
deleontow
Laughing Gas

OK first off, I dont suspect the glow plugs but there is a way to test them. On each of the valve covers are two plugs, remove the plugs, the two outer terminals go to the glow plugs, the inner ones go to the injectors, using a test light, conect the clip to the positive side (yes positive side) of the battery, now using the probe touch the outer terminal, if the light goes on, it is ok, if it does not then the glow plug is bad. Do this for all 8 plugs. More than likely though, you have a bad silonoid located on the top of the intake. though Ford wants way too much, this is what I believe is the problem. As for your fuel mileage, need more info, a little clueless as to why your mileage went so far dowm. Let me know any other symptons.

Dave

http://a2ztowing.homestead.com/a2ztowing.html

Old 12-06-2000, 12:37 PM
believer45
Posting Guru

I had the same problem with my '95. It ended up being the glow plug relay. I started it last night after work at 14 degrees not plugged in with no problem. The part is available for less than Ford at a Navistar / International heavy truck dealership (should be in your yellow pages under truck sales), as are most parts for the Power Stroke engine. Quoted price on the relay was about $20 cheaper for me - quoted price on a water pump is about $80 less from Navistar. As an aside, the part you take out of the Ford box often will have the Navistar part number stamped somewhere on it.

Just one man's idea -- Dave

'95 Power Stroke F250 extended cab long bed 5 spd 99% stock - why try to improve on perfection?

Old 02-05-2001, 06:36 PM
dover
Junior User

I might have a solution to the fuel milage problem. I recently recieved an Associates of applied science degree in diesel tech and one of the things that we learned about the PSD is that there is a sileniod that moves a butterfly valve right behind the turbo. When the engine is cold this valve closes to restrict exhuast flow to warm it up faster. If this is stuck closed you will have high exhaust back pressure which will kill your milage. Hope this helps!!!

Old 02-05-2001, 07:01 PM
fordiesel69
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a hard time beliveing the it is glow plug related, the international 4700's 4800's and etc... use a DT444E international engine and it is the same thing as a powerstroke. It does not have glowplugs and it still fires up at -10 degrees. Although I would still check the selinoid.

Old 02-06-2001, 03:28 PM
deleontow
Laughing Gas

You are wrong if you think that the powerstroke or the T444E do not have glow plugs, they do. The controler is located under the intake cover which says turbo on the pickups. The glow plugs do work differntly then the 6.9/7.3 as they stay on even after the engine is fired.

Dave

http://a2ztowing.homestead.com/a2ztowing.html

Old 02-06-2001, 07:03 PM
fordiesel69
More Turbo

I agree, The powerstroke's do have glowplugs, I changed a set once before so I am familiar with were they are located. I have also seen with my own eyes a DT444E and a DT466E that were in the international line of trucks, and there were no glowplugs and no wires/controller. But they do start right up at low temperatures.
I have heard that they have a different PCM than the ford trucks and that allows them to start in cold weather. But they do tend to run a little rough and smoke white. Also alot of semi's do not have glow plugs.

Old 02-08-2001, 05:16 AM
fordiesel69
More Turbo

Old 03-10-2005, 10:43 AM
shughe40
New User
check batteries by disconnecting the glow plugs

I had the same problem. I replaced the relay but it didn't help. What I found to be the problem were the batteries. I found out that many of the new batteries will test good but will not start the truck. The way I verified this was to disconnect the glow plugs from the relay. The truck started rough but it did start. I then replaced the batteries, replace the oil with rotella synthetic oil and have not had a problem since.

Old 03-10-2005, 05:24 PM
ROK31_99PSD
Freshman User
I responded to another post about a 99 not wanting to start cold with this advice. Check the ICP plug and operation. The plug on mine was off just a little and it did some strange things. My mileage got worse and it idled rough as hell when it started. Also did like the other fellows truck was doing in that the SES light would fire up when under heavy acceleration when the turbo spooled up. Take it with a grain of salt and remember the free advice on here is worth what you pay for it. Good Luck

Old 03-10-2005, 05:36 PM
mjwhip2
Elder User
OK guys, this post is over 4 years old. I'm thinking his problem is probably fixed by now.
Mike

Old 03-10-2005, 06:38 PM
ATVer1992
Senior User
Originally Posted by mjwhip2
OK guys, this post is over 4 years old. I'm thinking his problem is probably fixed by now.

Mike

Quick Reply: 7.3l will not start unless I plug it in below 45 degrees