6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Methanol/Water Injection

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 03:39 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Methanol/Water Injection

I wanted to start a thread for those interested in Methanol/Water injection. There have been two or three threads that have been hyjacked with this topic. Maybe the folks with knowledge can help us all catch up.

I have ordered a book, Turbochargers, which has a section on diesels and water injection. It shipped today from Amazon.com.

Old 05-31-2004, 05:41 PM
resqdawg3
Senior User
What's the ultimate benifit from this? A gain in HP or lower cylinder temps? I'm not really too familiar with this topic.

Old 05-31-2004, 07:05 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are two purposes. The combination water/methanol cools the intake air significatly, similar to the effect of a second intercooler, only much more extreme. This in turn gives extra power and lowers the overall combustion temperature inside the engine, thereby cooling both the engine and passing exhaust air. The second effect is of the methanol; the combustion characteristics of it has the effect of advancing the timing of the engine, thereby giving a significant power increase. The benefits are both more power and less heat, and though not proven, most likely decreased engine wear. The cooling (of up to 300 degrees EGT) gives the ability to safely double stack chips/fuel boxes for huge gains in power without the risk of cooking turbo or pistons. A very excellent alternative to propane, not to mention cheaper. The systems can use straight water, windshield washer fluid (which is 20% methanol) or up to 50/50 water/methanol mixture.

This modification seems to be growing in popularity, and could be as important as our predators and SCMT's when searching for awesome overall power.

I could be wrong, but i do beleive the injection would allow safe towing on the 100+ RWHP settings on our modules/programmers due to the decreased heat...? That is assuming the transmission will handle the abuse...

Last edited by PSD 60L Fx4; 05-31-2004 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:11 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
is there anything else in washer fluid?

stacking boxes is a great idea but i dont think our stock tuba canflow enough air to support that kinda fuel. yes our egts will b down but remember that the water we inject is taking up precious combustion space. so we will see a curve of diminishing returns. water lowers charge temps, allowing us to burn more fuel, but it takes up more space that could be taken up by more O2. since we have a denser charge its ok, but the cyl press goes up. how much press can the 6.0 take w/o fire rings?? tricky
u can DUMP water into a diesel but the turbo has to put out proportionally more to make use of the lesser combustion space in which to burn WAY more fuel. our turbo probably isnt very efficient passed 35psi and that makes alot more heat. it will all cancel out looking at the egt but the cyl press may be way passed the design of the engine. make sense? or confusing?

my question is, how much press can a 6.0 take?

Old 05-31-2004, 10:24 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
as far as i understand you are correct about the overall cylinder pressures and diminishing returns. the amount of metered water in most kits for light duty diesels is very, very small. if you were to dump too much you would lose power, like you said. as with most things about this engine, you must go about it in moderation and push the limit one step at a time. maybe someone else around here will have more details about the effects on cylinder pressure. i dont think the volume of water should, however, have a significant effect on boost and pressure, as it *shouldnt* be more than 1/100 of the total volume...(thats a guess) i think what you are saying would be true if you were really laying it to it. not to be overlooked also is the effect of the methanol...

Bob and I are both researching this issue further...
We would both be grateful for anyone with any speculation and/or facts to jump in here...

As for the other contents in the washer fluid, i have no clue. Ken at DPS simply informed me that it is the second best thing to run in the system, short only of the 50/50 water/methanol mixture.

Old 05-31-2004, 10:39 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
i have the book that bob has ordered, but my friend has sooo nicely lost for me. hopefully he can find it soon, along w/ my other book about turbos. both have info on water inj. i was just taking to extremes to illustrate.

this is the beginnings of an excellent thread!! i have made 2 of these setups but never on intercooled diesels. they worked well but the meth is where we really got the power! it seemed like u couldnt feed it enough! the bigger the orifice the more power it made! we ended up w/ the pump turned clear up (almost twice what it was before) and a .110 orifice! that poor turbo didnt know what hit it! and the egt stayed at 1300! thats less than what it was before the water

Old 05-31-2004, 10:41 PM
CruisnPhantom
Senior User
I've got some washer fluid that I picked up from Napa. Don't know the name but the the ingrediants are Water/Methanol according to the bottle, nothing else. Let me know if the brand is important to you folks...

Old 05-31-2004, 10:44 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
as far as i understand you are correct about the overall cylinder pressures and diminishing returns. the amount of metered water in most kits for light duty diesels is very, very small. if you were to dump too much you would lose power, like you said. as with most things about this engine, you must go about it in moderation and push the limit one step at a time. maybe someone else around here will have more details about the effects on cylinder pressure. i dont think the volume of water should, however, have a significant effect on boost and pressure, as it *shouldnt* be more than 1/100 of the total volume...(thats a guess) i think what you are saying would be true if you were really laying it to it. not to be overlooked also is the effect of the methanol...

Bob and I are both researching this issue further...
We would both be grateful for anyone with any speculation and/or facts to jump in here...

As for the other contents in the washer fluid, i have no clue. Ken at DPS simply informed me that it is the second best thing to run in the system, short only of the 50/50 water/methanol mixture.
This is great..We welcome any original thought on this issue. Maybe the best way of diong this hasn't been thought of yet.

Old 05-31-2004, 10:55 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Tim, can you make this thread sticky? Doing so might help to pick up some more valuable information...I imagine its gonna get pretty long, being the subject nearly as much a performance enhancement as the SCMT's and Predators...

Please?

Old 06-01-2004, 12:32 AM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Yes....Please...

Old 06-01-2004, 07:21 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
If it gets long it will stay at the top on its own..........lets see what happens.
You are talking about an item that is really not a bolt on, and one that must be correct to work well.
This item can be a bit risky for the novice…
I am very interested to follow this one!

Old 06-01-2004, 07:41 AM
$trokin60
Senior User
I was at world ford challenge 7 when a guy approached our booth. He gave us pamphlets about water injection. I will get it after work and post it here. I have also talked with Ken Inglesman he said that straight water will get about 25 HP and 100 lbsft of torque, 50/50 water/methanol ='s about 90 HP 180 lbsft TQ. both resulting in - 300 degrees F. hope this helps Jerry. I know of three companies selling these for the 6.0

Old 06-01-2004, 08:36 AM
CruisnPhantom
Senior User
Known "Boost Cooler"/Water & Methanol Injection Kits:
-ATS Diesel Performance
-Piers Diesel Research
-Diesel Site
-Snow Performance

Feel free to add to this list inside of this thread!

Water Injection Research:
-The Water Injection Information Site
-"Hydro Injection"

The last link is also a kit but they did some testing on their own and have shared the results.

Old 06-01-2004, 09:09 AM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
If it gets long it will stay at the top on its own..........lets see what happens.
You are talking about an item that is really not a bolt on, and one that must be correct to work well.
This item can be a bit risky for the novice…
I am very interested to follow this one!
You are correct about the risk, and no, this is not a bolt on part. However, it is not what you would refer to as "engine overhaul" either, and i believe the benefits of it far outweigh the risks. For me it is not the fact that im gonna be getting 90 horses, but the fact that im gonna be getting 90 horses and a 300 degree temp drop. This opens the door for all sorts of crazy overfueling, in turn making your gateway for some extreme power open up at significantly *less* risk than before.

Off the subject..is anyone else just now starting find the new 2005 SD front end to look cool? at first i didnt like it, but the more i look at it its starting to grow on me, it has a tougher look to it...i bet us 03/04 guys could get the grill, bumper, and headlights and bolt them on...

Old 06-01-2004, 11:17 AM
BBBxcursion
Senior User
What about http://www.dps-performance.com/
Anyone compare the kits?? The DPS looks like better quality, but who has used it?

Quick Reply: Methanol/Water Injection