Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wife objects to diesel...can you help??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2001, 10:12 AM
ken bromen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to buy a truck (have never owned one) to tow a 5th wheel trailer for some serious retirement travel. From what I can determine, a diesel would be preferable to gas. The problem: we know a couple who have towed 5th wheels for l0 to ll years having 3 diesels during that time (likes to trade) and at the time they bragged them up big-time...surprised us by suddenly trading for a diesel pusher motor home and then "confessed" that during their years in the pick-up diesel they could never carry on a conversation or listen to the radio/tapedeck because of the noise of the diesel...well, this was the "kiss-of-death" for diesels for my wife who didn't like the idea too much in the first place (when we pull up to one at a stop sign they are kind of noisy and smelly)....I'd appreciate any feedback re: this issue as I'd still like to go diesel, but not after a divorce (just kidding!)

Old 04-21-2001, 10:39 AM
theologian
Postmaster

The latest Ford Powerstrokes are well insulated, and do not sound all that bad. Admittedly they are louder than a Gas engine, but the noise is small price to pay for reliability, economy, and overall strength. My '96 has a much louder configuration than most and it is not too noisy - I listen to the radio, with no effort, and tapes. I have to admit, that it is difficult to hear the hands free speaker on my phone, but I manage. Tell your wife that you can travel twice as far towing with a diesel as with gas, and if you do LONG range the diesel will pay for it's self pretty quickly. Maintain it well, and it will outlast a gas engine by hundreds of thousands of miles. A powerstroke engine is expected, by Navistar, the manufacturer, to give full power until 400,000 when it requires a top end rebuild, to give a further 400,000 without replaceing the engine. Gas engines are not able to do this. There have been some that lasted for 300,000 miles, but used a lot of oil, and had no where near the original power.

Because I travel extensively, I would NEVER buy a gas engined truck.

Wm

Old 04-21-2001, 10:54 AM
red99sdv10
Senior User

I now have a 00 PSD SC
as for the noise I listen to the radio at normal levels and dont here the motor
but then some times I turn the radio off to here the noise and listen to the turbo whistle
I would buy a diesel for many reasons
fuel mileage is much better, 400+ miles to a tank vrs 380- for the v-10
last longer, more power, can sit and idle for pennies (must have idle control to keep rpms at 1200+) ,
the only down side is winter fuel(no worse than reformulated gas) , oil changes are more costly but depending on driving habits they can go 5000 between and the oil is just as clean as when you put it in, and you must change the fuel filter evry so often, as far as any other maintenace it is no worse than a gasser
also the PSD come with a 5yr/100k powertrain warranty
the gassers only have a 3/36k
as far as finding diesel fuel as long as your on the highway it is not a problem and it is usaully cheaper on the main roads than in the middle of nowhere
ps I cant get my truck away from my wife LOL

Old 04-21-2001, 10:15 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

Hi, I don't know what kind of diesels your friends had but I have an 86 Ford with a 6.9 diesel in it and it is one of the quietest diesels around inside the cab driving down the street you don't even know it's a diesel. the Dodge with the Cummins is loud and the chevy is fairly loud but the Ford is really quiet. John

Old 04-22-2001, 12:22 AM
david51
New User

if you plan on pulling a diesel is the only way .I have had both ford & dodge and have no complaints on either one my 85 ford ccdrw c6 auto 6.9lt has over 300,000miles on it I'am the 2nd owner it still runs great .I just sold my 92 dodge extcab diesel with 350,000 standard it still runs great .I kept the ford because my grand kids can have a full back seat to set on no trouble not hearing my radio or cb. or my cell phone in either truck tell mom to go test drive both ford & dodge and see witch one she likes there both good trucks if you take care of then
david51
856.9ccdrw

Old 04-22-2001, 01:04 PM
logan_85
Senior User

While, I have a '94 with a 7.3L IDI turbo diesel and I can barely hear the engine when I'm driveing(unless I roll down the windows, but it is still quieter than a Dodge{a jack-hammer is quieter than a Dodge}). Has your wife ben around to test drive a PSD? Remind your wife the mileage will be better and maintnance should be cheaper(?).

Logan

Old 04-23-2001, 12:12 AM
350dweezil
Junior User

Well ... my PSD is a little louder than my 5.4L was, but barely. It seems to get quieter as it warms up too. They're both quite audible while accelerating, but the PSD sounds good and strong, whereas the 5.4L sounded, perhaps undersized - not to suggest that it was undersized, it just kinda sounded that way.

Besides, at highway speeds, what you'll hear more than either a gas or diesel engine is road and wind-noise.

Anybody equipped to measure some dB's? Hmmm, would there be any Magazine review that includes interior dB levels? 70 dB is ballpark for many cars at highway speeds.

'01 350 PSD CC 4X4 LARIAT / '00 LAND ROVER DISCO II CCP SRP ACE

Old 04-23-2001, 09:20 AM
ford4x4offrd
Senior User

ok, ok, so you have all the technical info you need to know. now the most important part. get a big diameter exhaust and she will rumble and roar all the way down the road. not only does she sound good but people look up at you with admiration, cause they know you have a diesel and you own the road. good luck and hope ya get it.

-Jacksland

Old 04-25-2001, 10:16 PM
arapco
Freshman User

Despite being an enthusiastic Ford Truck owner for many years through several Ford trucks, I intend to make our next truck a GMC Duramax/Allison power trained truck.

The noise level is almost imperceptable and the acceleration and pulling capability will undoubtedly send Ford and Dodge back to the drawing boards.

Don't let the doomsayers convince you that the engine and transmission are untried. We have seen this engine perform in Europe in trucks. And no company has an equal to the allison transnission.

Look at the Chev or the GMC. Drive one and you will not be disappointed.

Ron

Old 04-26-2001, 12:39 AM
red99sdv10
Senior User

well I just straight piped my 00 PSD and to be honest it is quite loud esp at 1200 rpm when the ebv is closed
but It did make a big improvement in acceleration and boost

Old 04-26-2001, 07:46 PM
logan_85
Senior User

I would wait before buying a Duramax, I have heard Ford plans for a better diesel, but GMC already has a few power up-grades that they will up-grade the engine with as soon as a competitor gets a better engine. But, that is only a rumor(?).

Logan

Old 04-26-2001, 11:27 PM
bgodkin
Elder User

The Allison is a good transmission. The Duramax however I really haven't heard alot of good about. Could just be the first model year blues though.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 04-28-2001, 04:33 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Allison is an EXCELLANT transmission -- probably the best available. Rumor has it that GM is having some significant problems with the head gaskets under those aluminum heads. Initially they planned to build 100,000 units this year but they kept reducing the amount and the last I heard they were down to 16,000 and only about half of that was slated for the pick up trucks.

Old 04-28-2001, 05:34 AM
bgodkin
Elder User

Thats the same thing I heard about the duromax. I drove one right after the first came out. I was very impressed with the Allison tranny. The Isuzu Diesel on the other hand seemed to be flat on the bottom end and made all its power in the upper RPM range. not really what I want.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 04-28-2001, 06:17 PM
longhornbob
New User

I have a 94 F350 with a 7.3 liter PSD and when I'm driving I can't hear it at all. If I idle the truck and roll down the windows I can hear the 'glug, glug, glug," but who the Hell rolls down the windows and idles a significant amoutn of the time that they're using a vehicle?

Show her the stats on mileage, and towing capacity, and how ling the thing will last (you'll get 300K miles out of it easy), and then take her to a gas station and show her the price for mid-grade unleaded (about $1.70 here right now) versus diesel ($1.29) and let her know that in an average year of vacation type tracel driving that the savings will be about $1,600. See what she says then ;-)

Wheeler

Quick Reply: Wife objects to diesel...can you help??