1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Bored with you Eddie Bauer Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 06:04 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Bored with you Eddie Bauer Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel?

I was looking to spiff up my 2000 EB a bit. I have been looking at Wood Dash components and such and thought it would be nice to have a wood and leather steering wheel. Those bad boys arent cheap even in the least expensive versions. So I decided to go a different route. I picked up a used Navigator Wood and Leather steering wheel, with the climate control and radio controls on one side and cruise on the other. It took only a couple hours to do and it looks sweet, works perfect.

I just used a Navigator clockspring to ease the installation at the wheel to airbag section. Then modded the wiring to the Expedition at the base of the columb. All in all it only required adding two wires, one for the Mach sound system and one for the EATC system.

Im not feeling well right now due to illness but Ill post some pics and further instructions to anyone curious. This will work for sure on 2000 and up Expeditions with EATC and Mach audio using a 2000 and up Navigator wheel and clockspring. Total cost to me on this one was about 150.00. The factory Navigator wheel BRAND NEW runs about 560.00 list, so you definitely want to visit the salvage yards or Ebay for the wheel. The clockspring was only about 40.00 or so.

The bonus you wont get from the others is the climate control and radio control from the wheel.. its pretty nice to have a one of a kind too.

Last edited by HomerWinzlow; 05-28-2004 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:07 AM
18fan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had always wanted to try the same thing on my 99 but was unsure about the radio and climate controls. I am going to see if I can find the steering wheel from a 99 in my area and give this a try. Thanks

Old 06-03-2004, 09:07 PM
Jimmygunz3
Senior User
I Wanted To Do The Same Thing But I Never Got Around To Doing It, Do You Have The Colors Or Schematic Of The Wires You Used To Hook Up For The Controls On The Wheel? Thanks

Old 06-05-2004, 08:10 AM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Using the Navigator clockspring on my Expedition, I simply cut off the connector at the base of the columb and installed the connector for the Expedition clockspring I had removed and color matched the wires, except for the two unique wires for the EATC and Mach radio. You will need to add the pins to connector 261 at the radio and connector 281 at the EATC control head. The pins are missing in the connectors themselves but present on the radio and control head. You add pin 14 at connector 261 at the radio and run the wire from there to the brown wire which was at pin 7 of the Navigator clockspring at the base of the columb and add pin 8 to the EATC connector 281 and run that wire to the white with blue stripe wire of the Navigator clockspring which was at pin 2 of the original connector. Once these are added in and the original Expedition wires mated to the Navigator clockspring you will have full functionality.
Again this will work for sure on 2000 and up. I know the 1998 Navigator wheel was wired for its own redundant steering wheel control module, so that model year you would want to avoid. 1999 Im not sure about, either with the Navigator or the Expedition wiring but Im sure it can be figured out.

Old 08-20-2004, 12:16 PM
bkampbel
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Homer,
I would like to do the same thing you did but I am a novice so I am kind of lost. Do you have any pics of the procedure. Did you have to take any of the dash apart to do this. What exactly is a clockspring and where would I pick one up. I have never taken an airbag equipped steering wheel off so this would be new to me. In terms of colors, I know navigator interiors come in gray or tan and was wondering if the tan is the same as an expedition. I have an 02 w/ med. parchment. I am sure I would be able to follow the wiring instructions you gave but I just need a little more help locating the various connections. Thanks again for your help.

Old 08-20-2004, 12:27 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
The wheel I purchased was from an 02 Navigator and was a perfect match for my 00 Expedition so the colors should be fine for your 02. I recommend a wheel from an 00-02 Navigator for closest compatibility. The clockspring is the airbag contact coil that mounts under the steering wheel. I recommend purchasing one for a Navigator because the wiring connnector will match the control switches on the wheel. It has more wires than the Expedition clockspring assembly. Then you can just transfer the connector from the other end from your Expedition and all you will have to add in are the two wires going to the radio and EATC control head. I have to work the rest of the day and I work Saturday also, so it will be awhile before I can provide more detailed information.

Old 08-24-2004, 01:58 PM
bkampbel
Junior User
Homer,
Do you know if I can reuse the Expedition horn/airbag cover instead of the lincoln cover? It looks like you would be able to. What did you end up using? Thanks in advance.

Brian

Old 08-24-2004, 05:51 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Brian, yes its a perfect fit, no need to get the Navigator bag.

Old 08-24-2004, 06:29 PM
bkampbel
Junior User
Homer, just one other question for you. I have been trying to see if there are any other Ford models that might be compatible also. I tried talking to a parts guy at the local dealership but they weren't much help. I see that late model limited excursions have a similar looking wheel with the same controls. I am wondering if they use the same size steering wheel. From the pictures they look identical. Do you know if they use the same wheel. I would prefer an all leather wheel and this would be it if it is compatible. Maybe someone else might know if the wheels are similar. Thanks again for your help.

Brian

Old 08-24-2004, 06:32 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
I "think" they are the same fit, but have never had cause to swap them to know for sure. You will still need to modify wiring and use a compatible clockspring assembly Im sure.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Brandon_01
Senior User
I hate to bring back such an old thread, but I am looking for radio and air controls for my steering wheel, and this fits the bill.

Homer, Have you been able to snap a few pics or the after? I'd like to see what it looks like. Any issues after the installation?

Thanks,
Brandon

Old 12-19-2008, 06:08 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Sorry Brandon, I traded off that vehicle a few years ago.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:11 PM
KINGDELL91
Freshman User
wow i want to see some pic's of this

Old 12-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Brandon_01
Senior User
Originally Posted by HomerWinzlow
Sorry Brandon, I traded off that vehicle a few years ago.
Thanks! That helps a lot!

Still a good idea. Anyone else got pics of this mod? Would be awesome to pull off.

Last edited by Brandon_01; 12-22-2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Added last line of post.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:26 PM
dkoenig
Senior User
Has anyone else attempted this. I have a replacement steering wheel, and a SWI-JACK adapter. Wanting to know if I can use the audio controls and the temp/fan controls to control the new stereo (fan up/down = track forward/back, temp up/down = preset up/down).

thanks,

Don

Quick Reply: Bored with you Eddie Bauer Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel?