6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Anyone in Memphis area ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 03:42 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone in Memphis area ?

We be visitin up here and wanted to say Hi !

Old 05-28-2004, 04:35 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
We be visitin up here and wanted to say Hi !
I figured you would keep a low profile!

Old 05-28-2004, 05:58 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Choctaw Bob
I figured you would keep a low profile!
How low can you keep in Memphis?
He is up there looking to buy parts to beat you!
Thinks now one will know

Old 05-28-2004, 06:10 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
How low can you keep in Memphis?
He is up there looking to buy parts to beat you!
Thinks now one will know
He will need it. I am looking for information on water/alcohol injection for the 6.0 I have a junk box with a boost switch, hoses, braded line and other assorted stuff. I need the jet sizes and pressure level, the injection port points and so on. The kit was like $600 and I think I can fabricate a low tech one for the parts I have and a few bucks. Propane is another idea but a little more risky. The transmission is plenty strong with the Predator changes in shifting, it should take 1000 ft lb of torque on an empty truck, no problem.

Old 05-28-2004, 08:22 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
He will need it. I am looking for information on water/alcohol injection for the 6.0 I have a junk box with a boost switch, hoses, braded line and other assorted stuff. I need the jet sizes and pressure level, the injection port points and so on. The kit was like $600 and I think I can fabricate a low tech one for the parts I have and a few bucks. Propane is another idea but a little more risky. The transmission is plenty strong with the Predator changes in shifting, it should take 1000 ft lb of torque on an empty truck, no problem.
I have built a couple water injection systems and the easiest way to do it is... a boost line to the top of a water bottle with the water line from the bottom of the water bottle to a pop off valve of whatever boost you want the water to come in at then to the inlet of the turbo. Use 5/16 tubing. .035 orifice in the end of the water line. cheap pop off valve will stick without methanol mixed with the fuel. 30% methanol seems about perfect, especially with the price. Hope this helps...

Old 05-28-2004, 10:14 PM
resqdawg3
Senior User
How long you going to be in Memphis for? We're having an Air Show down here, on the 5th and 6th, at Little Rock AFB in Arkansas....only about an hour down I40 from Memphis!

Old 05-29-2004, 01:52 AM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bighoss550
I have built a couple water injection systems and the easiest way to do it is... a boost line to the top of a water bottle with the water line from the bottom of the water bottle to a pop off valve of whatever boost you want the water to come in at then to the inlet of the turbo. Use 5/16 tubing. .035 orifice in the end of the water line. cheap pop off valve will stick without methanol mixed with the fuel. 30% methanol seems about perfect, especially with the price. Hope this helps...
Where do you find the pop off valve?

Old 05-29-2004, 01:05 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
we have an excellent hardware store in town that has all kinds of little stuff. thats where i get my goodies from a "snifter" valve will pop at about 15 but try it with compressed air and a reg to c 4 sure. remember this is just glorified tractor stuff so maybe tractor supply or grainger. if anything is hard to find, make sure to get a few cuz water eats everything and ull b replacin it later. also if u have a cat still, dont go too big on the jet size cuz it will cool it down and maybe plug.(my guess)

Old 05-29-2004, 01:29 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
we have an excellent hardware store in town that has all kinds of little stuff. thats where i get my goodies from a "snifter" valve will pop at about 15 but try it with compressed air and a reg to c 4 sure. remember this is just glorified tractor stuff so maybe tractor supply or grainger. if anything is hard to find, make sure to get a few cuz water eats everything and ull b replacin it later. also if u have a cat still, dont go too big on the jet size cuz it will cool it down and maybe plug.(my guess)
Where (at what point) do you inject? I have some nitrous fogger nozzles I could rig a 2 stage system by running 2 lines, one water, one alcohol. Will also need 12 volt valve to turn it on and off. I don't think you would want it to run all the time. Distilled water would prevent corrision but I remember that methanol can be corrosive also. Doesn't windshield washer fluid contain methanol?

Old 05-29-2004, 02:11 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
Where (at what point) do you inject? I have some nitrous fogger nozzles I could rig a 2 stage system by running 2 lines, one water, one alcohol. Will also need 12 volt valve to turn it on and off. I don't think you would want it to run all the time. Distilled water would prevent corrision but I remember that methanol can be corrosive also. Doesn't windshield washer fluid contain methanol?
the best place to inject is directly at the center shaft of the turbo compressor wheel. or just in the intake after the MAF. im no expert on the NO2 nozzles. i just drill a .035-.040 hole in a 1/8" pipe plug, braze on a nipple and the rest is easy. u dont really need an on/off valve cuz the check/pop-off valve only lets the water by when the boost is above its threshhold. also u should mix the H2O and meth. water doesnt atomize well but the mix does. and it wont freeze in the cold. (maybe no danger of that way down in TX ) most of my knowledge comes from books, despite my $35000 tech school investment u might wanna spend $20 and get this book, TURBOCHARGERS (HP-49) by HP books. motorhaven should have it. its well worth it. it has a diesel chapter that will really make u feel dumb! the guy is super smart. it talks about water inj and other good stuff. washer fluid has ethanol or something. not sure but dont think its meth. tho

Old 05-29-2004, 04:59 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
the best place to inject is directly at the center shaft of the turbo compressor wheel. or just in the intake after the MAF. im no expert on the NO2 nozzles. i just drill a .035-.040 hole in a 1/8" pipe plug, braze on a nipple and the rest is easy. u dont really need an on/off valve cuz the check/pop-off valve only lets the water by when the boost is above its threshhold. also u should mix the H2O and meth. water doesnt atomize well but the mix does. and it wont freeze in the cold. (maybe no danger of that way down in TX ) most of my knowledge comes from books, despite my $35000 tech school investment u might wanna spend $20 and get this book, TURBOCHARGERS (HP-49) by HP books. motorhaven should have it. its well worth it. it has a diesel chapter that will really make u feel dumb! the guy is super smart. it talks about water inj and other good stuff. washer fluid has ethanol or something. not sure but dont think its meth. tho
Man, you are a wealth of great knowledge! Thanks, got to order this book!

Old 05-29-2004, 07:47 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Man, you are a wealth of great knowledge! Thanks, got to order this book!
I think we got us a keeper

Old 05-29-2004, 09:52 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
Talking

thanks guys!! ur stuck w/ me anyway! i think im addicted! its sooooo nice to be able to discuss this stuff w/ intelligent individuals for a change

Old 05-29-2004, 10:20 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
thanks guys!! ur stuck w/ me anyway! i think im addicted! its sooooo nice to be able to discuss this stuff w/ intelligent individuals for a change
And as our numbers grow it only gets better!

Old 05-30-2004, 07:08 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator

IN ADDITION, we always keep it clean, a wonderful thing.
Happy you are staying

Quick Reply: Anyone in Memphis area ?