anyone ordering a large fry and 20 gallons of fryer oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 07:18 PM
edub32
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18vtx00, I was going to get mine from a local chinese place or wing place..I heard that the oil would be a lot cleaner then McDonald's and other big chain places.

I'm planning on running a dual tank setup (regular tank and one aux tank in the bed). The regular tank will be for dino-diesel and the aux tank will be for wvo. Will I need two fuel pumps in each tank or can I use one fuel pump with a fuel tank selector?

Old 07-04-2005, 09:19 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by edub32
18vtx00, I was going to get mine from a local chinese place or wing place..I heard that the oil would be a lot cleaner then McDonald's and other big chain places.

I'm planning on running a dual tank setup (regular tank and one aux tank in the bed). The regular tank will be for dino-diesel and the aux tank will be for wvo. Will I need two fuel pumps in each tank or can I use one fuel pump with a fuel tank selector?
well on my oBS i would assume that i could use one of the oem tanks for veggie, but it would be difficult to heat because of the size and location. i hate to lose bed space too. so i would look for a square tank for an undermount. or make my own.
actually a tank inside of a heated tank would be optimum.

Old 07-04-2005, 09:26 PM
edub32
Posting Guru
Using coolant lines to heat the wvo sounds pretty complicated. Can you solely use an electric heating element to heat the wvo?

Old 07-04-2005, 10:50 PM
odlib
Freshman User
Response to a couple of entries (my understanding):
1. (18vtx00) WVO, collection needs to be confined to (at least for my system) extablishments that only use non-hydrogenated oil. Something about the blending process it goes through does something to the pump and filters.. Best places I've been told are chinese food restaurants, and "Baja Fresh/Chipotle" type places that only use their oil for frying chips. I've heard that many of the "fast food" type places use some lard mix in their oil,.. which seems to be fine for making bio, but not for a system like mine.
2. (edub32) I'm not sure if you can use an electric heater system, something I planned to ask Joel Woolf. I know there were a couple of long lines attached to my coolant system, but I think it has something to do with not overheating the oil. The coolant seems to be a pretty simple fix to get the oil to the right temps, and keep it there pretty safely. Would have to ask Joel.

Old 07-05-2005, 02:53 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.biodesiel.org for info and testing results

www.biodesielwarehouse.com make your own $150 for kit and instructions

Old 07-05-2005, 10:47 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 18vtx00
well on my oBS i would assume that i could use one of the oem tanks for veggie, but it would be difficult to heat because of the size and location. i hate to lose bed space too. so i would look for a square tank for an undermount. or make my own.
actually a tank inside of a heated tank would be optimum.
I THINK, I have not tried this yet, but I think I will be able to drop my rear tank, pull the bed, and make a box all around the tank, insulate, and run coolant lines around it. I really dont like the idea of coolant lines in the oil. more chances of leakage and getting water in the oil.

then I will pull my selector vavle off, and the wire goin to it will be used to turn on a separate fuel pump. so instead of haveing three tanks. I will be using the stock tanks, AND stock fuel selector. but for #2 or WVO. TOTAL SLEEPER.

Diesel Rod

Old 07-06-2005, 11:50 AM
edub32
Posting Guru
444dieselrod, I wish I had two tanks like you then I would do it the way that you are talking about, so I'm going to have to add a tank in my bed for the wvo. Do you think that coolant lines will give the oil enough heat or are you going to add an electric heating element?? Also if I add an auxillary tank in my bed for the wvo, could I use a fuel pump from a wrecked PSD or would I need to use a different kind of fuel pump?

Old 07-06-2005, 05:01 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 444dieselrod
I THINK, I have not tried this yet, but I think I will be able to drop my rear tank, pull the bed, and make a box all around the tank, insulate, and run coolant lines around it. I really dont like the idea of coolant lines in the oil. more chances of leakage and getting water in the oil.

then I will pull my selector vavle off, and the wire goin to it will be used to turn on a separate fuel pump. so instead of haveing three tanks. I will be using the stock tanks, AND stock fuel selector. but for #2 or WVO. TOTAL SLEEPER.

Diesel Rod
i think it would be best to make a tank inside of an insulated box. reuse the oem sendor so the fittings are the same and the gauge works properly.
then i would use like copper (flexible) tubing to wrap around the inner fuel cell. like a kegerator. this line will be very fast and efficent and would adapt easily to 5/8 or 3/4" heater hoses.
my problem is that i am not sure if i could get enough WVO to make it worth it.
once the restaurants get word of what we are doing, although it may be a few years they will start to charge us for the waste. just like old tires, and waste oil.

Old 07-08-2005, 10:23 AM
edub32
Posting Guru
Cameltoe, I'm interested in adding an auxillary tank onto my truck and burning wvo like you. I'm currently looking for the ITT shell and tube heat exchanger that you were talking about but havent found any luck with anything even close to $40.

Do you happen to still have the seller or the item number of the one that you bought on ebay??

So you are using one fuel pump for both your tanks?

Sorry for all the questions, but I think that you really have the best setup for WVO on the forum hence why I'm asking you. I also think that a lot of the people on here would like to see some photos of your setup.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:30 AM
StevensPoint
Senior User
edub32, Below is a link to a current e-bay auction for a shell and tube style heat exchanger that is similar to what you would be looking for. This one is a little large, but there is nothing wrong with that if you have the space. Ideally you would want something 3-4" diameter and 12-16" long. Give or take. I see used heat exchangers that size go on e-bay usually for $50-$100.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=46093

I also highly recommend an aux. fuel filter for the vegoil. Not just the stock fuel filter for both vegoil and diesel. I use the DAVCO 382 in the truck. They then came out with a better one (the 234) that I use in my Jetta tdi. I am currently working on a way to bypass the stock fuel filter with the vegoil in the F-250. But, the fuel pressure regulator and the two stage mechanical fuel pump on the powerstroke make that a little difficult. I'll get it though. Just need to find the time.

http://www.davcotec.com/model234.htm

I do use the stock fuel pump for both diesel and vegoil. Because it is a mechanical two stage (in the '96), it always has to be pumping something. I have not been under the hood of an '01, but I'm sure you could use the same pump (I'm pretty sure you have an electric) for both. It's a matter of figuring out how to bypass the stock fuel filter/pressure regulator assembly with the vegoil (if you choose to do that). You do not have to bypass the stock filter, but it makes for much shorter purge times if you do. Also you have a smaller chance of fuel gelling up in the filter due to the small amount of vegoil left in the mix after purging (if you live in, or visit a climate where you need to worry about that).

One of these days I'll get some pics out here.

Old 07-10-2005, 10:58 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
edub32

Look in "My Trucks" in my sig. I think it is under the '96 in the webshots page, or it might be its own WVO catagory I don't remember. anyway I have a shell and tube heater also. prolly 6" by 12-14" long I got it for $40. If you want one I can get another for the same and ship it to you. I have not installed it yet, soon.

Cameltoe.

Same thing look in my sig. there are pics of how I modified the stock fuel system keeping the factory pump, and filter, and making it a deadhead system. have run it for 10K. line in the front of the heads for WVO. no pics yet of the WVO lines hooked up to the shell and tube. but soon, its been 95* and HUMID!!! so I try to stay in the A/C. can't get much dont then.

Diesel Rod

Old 07-11-2005, 08:56 AM
edub32
Posting Guru
444dieselrod, I plan on putting the fuel tank in my bed and putting an insulated box around the tank. Do you think that this heat exchanger will put out enough heat needed or will I need some electric heating elements too..?

Old 07-11-2005, 09:56 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
I think that the heat exchanger will work well. It was originaly used for a cooler, cooled the lube oil on a big machine. so I don't see why it won't heat oil also. My normal operating temp is 205* according to my Isspro gauge. I think it will heat the oil up great. I am gunna try and get it plubmed in this week, and see what it will heat the fuel up to.

Diesel Rod

Old 07-11-2005, 11:03 PM
05f250fx4
Senior User
will running on WVO allow performance upgrades like any normal diesel fuel?

Old 07-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by 05f250fx4
will running on WVO allow performance upgrades like any normal diesel fuel?
Yes, just don't run it on a cold engine. Get it good and warmed up on diesel before you switch over to the veggie.

Quick Reply: anyone ordering a large fry and 20 gallons of fryer oil?