Sponsored by: DP Tuner

diesel in Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 09:05 AM
Paula
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diesel in Wisconsin

I recently purchased an F-250 Turbo PSD to pull a horse trailer. I am worried about the use of my truck in winter...when I took it into the dealership someone in the service dept. commented that it wasn't very bright to buy a diesel in Wisonsin as I'll have problems with the fuel freezing/waxing in the very cold winters. I had assumed that the places selling diesel here would have the winter blend mentioned in the owner's manual?? Did I make a big mistake or was the guy being overly dramatic? I have no previous experience with diesel engines and would appreciate any comments/advice regarding winter driving.

Old 07-06-2001, 11:54 AM
mebaim
New User
diesel in Wisconsin

I don't think you made a mistake. You can find that winter blend at any decent truck stop. It may cost just a bit more, because of the additives they put it in to keep it from gelling. But think about it, if youwould have a problem with hte fuel so would the ENTIRE tricking industry in the northern plains. So enjoy your truck and I would only fill up at truck stops. They move a lot of fuel and they need to keep theirs clean.

Old 07-06-2001, 04:44 PM
otto
Posting Guru
diesel in Wisconsin

I live in wisconsin and yes when winter rolls around everyone sells winterized fuel, Our powerstroke fires in the coldest of days, Its not a bad idea to park the grill towards a wall so the cold air dont blow thru the truck and not a bad idea to plug it in for easier starting but neither of thses are required for starting the truck either, just lessens the load on the starter as 10 quarts of cold thick oil is alot of drag, And yes you may hear horror stories from some old farmer who had his 1959 john deere 4020 "gel" up every winter so he's all against diesel now, but have no fear diesel technology has come a long was since its invention and is continually getting better

Old 07-06-2001, 06:58 PM
logan_85
Senior User
diesel in Wisconsin

I've ben told that the fuel will be circulated through the engine and tank, and so the only problem should be starting the engine. But if you plug in the block heater there shouldn't be any problem. You can start your truck without using the block heater, but it will probbably be a lot harder on the starter.

Logan

Old 07-06-2001, 11:02 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
diesel in Wisconsin

Paula, no mistake. Your assumption is correct that the fuel stations will have the proper blend of diesel in the winter.

There are 3 grades of diesel:
-#2 diesel
-Winterized #2. (Has additives to inhibit formation of parafin).
-#1 diesel, which is basically kerosene and is formulated for winter temperatures.

Old 07-10-2001, 10:28 PM
Yukon_Don
New User
diesel in Wisconsin

I live in Anchorage, Alaska. No you did not make a mistake. I start regularly all winter long without a problem.

Old 07-12-2001, 12:46 PM
NoWake
Senior User
diesel in Wisconsin

My PSD gelled up on me once and it was a bitch to get started. In fact it gelled at 1:00 and it did not start until 7:30. We towed it to our house and pluged it in and had a big heater blowing air up into the engine. Anyway, EVER since that day I have used Power Service "Diesel Fuel Supplement" and have had no problems. It came highly recommended from the dealer. Power Service also has "911" which they say is a de-geller they say just poor it in the tank . I have never used it but it might be good to carry around with you.

They say never us a additive that has alchol, it is bad for the injectors.

Rick

Old 07-12-2001, 03:36 PM
Steelhead
New User
diesel in Wisconsin