Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update and opinions on the stock Bedliner or Rhinolining?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 03:15 PM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im goin with the bedrug. wont be hauling too much stuff around so i should be good with that and a tonneu cover. out of the 2 you want i would get the rhino, its what i wanted before i found the rug.

Old 05-26-2004, 03:28 PM
fordguy61mi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ford drop-in is a VERY good and tight fit. I can't see it shifting around much to cause paint scraping. And if no paint is scraped, I can't see it rusting since the surface is painted. And if it DOES rust a little, I can't see being able to see it with the bed liner in. I mean, Williamson there hadn't seen any in 11 years, whether or not there WAS any underneath. I'd say personal preference rules here.

Old 05-26-2004, 04:19 PM
kfactor
Junior User
I owned a 97 F250 with a penda-liner SR until last week. No rust but a little paint did rub off down to the to the primer.

Old 05-26-2004, 05:27 PM
rts9364
Senior User
Line-X gets my vote too. Everytime you wash it out after hauling, it looks brand new again...And in my opinion thats 50 times better than Rhino will ever look. Line-X looks much cleaner as others have said. Im not regretting the $400 to have it done.

Old 05-26-2004, 05:43 PM
WEB
Senior User
Count me in as a Line-X convertee

I have had drop-ins and mats over the years and the drop-in was the least worthy of the three. The mat worked pretty well but I still got scratches on the box sides and tail gate, but the price was good and I was not unhappy with it.

With my new truck I went spray-in and did a lot of research. Line-X wins hands down for all the reasons stated above, durability,non-fade, warrenty, etc.

Line-X is the better of the choices but as mentioned itg is all personal preference.

Old 05-26-2004, 07:49 PM
dredmo
New User
getting Line-X done next week on my new truck.

FWIW, I have seen rusted beds (not to excessive) due to drop ins. I doubt it is the normal-every-day case, but the exception. Either way I like knowing that there will be no rust as opposed to taking a chance on it.

Old 05-26-2004, 08:34 PM
fordguy61mi
Senior User
Originally Posted by dredmo
getting Line-X done next week on my new truck.

FWIW, I have seen rusted beds (not to excessive) due to drop ins. I doubt it is the normal-every-day case, but the exception. Either way I like knowing that there will be no rust as opposed to taking a chance on it.
Granted, but I still say no one is going to take out their drop-in even if they sell it so what is the big deal about a little rust under there if it's not compromising the bed's integrity?

Old 05-26-2004, 09:18 PM
fsuranger
Freshman User
I guess those of you saying you have rust from a drop-in must be from the north. I am completely sold on drop-ins. In my next truck I will stick with the same thing, the only reason I can see doing a spray-in is adding to the trucks value which I doubt you would get an extra $400 when you trade in or sell. So as others have said its all preference.

Old 05-26-2004, 09:22 PM
519DVX
Mountain Pass
bed liner

I've had 2 Dodges ('98 and '01) and bought a bedliner and fiberglass tonneau for my '98 which I kept and put on my '01 after the trade. I bought a $30 foam pad to put under the liner to keep it from scratching and rusting the bed. Also, before I installed everything, I waxed all the surfaces that would be under the liner and didn't buff it off. When I went to trade after 3 years and I pulled out the liner, there wasn't a scratch or a spot of rust under the liner. I did the same thing to my '01. I'm going to keep the pad and put it in my F-150 when it comes in (the dealer thru in the drop-in bedliner to seal the deal). As far as I'm concerned, the $150 aftermarket bedliner (or the "free" Ford plastic liner) and the $30 pad make a great combination and is much cheaper than the $400 spray-in, and you can take it all with you if you happen to get the same truck next time around. Just my chunk of change.

Old 05-26-2004, 10:08 PM
KenB
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out Dualcomp bedliners on the internet.
Combination drop-in and bed mat that locks together.

Old 05-26-2004, 10:18 PM
KCFORDWKR
New User
I went by the local dealership today and looked at some used vehicles for Rhino Linner and Line - X. Both my findings was that they were chipped, scratched, or faded. I am going to go with the factory Ford bedlinner. I had a 1994 F150 previously and a drop in bed linner with a bed cover, had some minor scratches but no rust. If you keep it clean and periodically wash under the linner, will keep it rust free. Additonally, no dents or dings in the bed!

Old 05-27-2004, 10:46 AM
dhollist
New User
Solution to prevent paint rubbing and rust on drop-in bedliners

For those of you who prefer a drop-in bed liner but are worried about your paint wearing off, try using some of the "removable caulk" from your local hardware store. Cover the bottom of your bedliner with beads of the caulk before dropping it into your truck bed, and you will never have problems with the paint rubbing off. The "usual" rattles from drop-ins will also be cured. Of course, you need to make sure that your truck bed is clean before setting the bedliner in place, and you will need a friend or two to help (so you don't get the removable caulk all over your bed rails).

I tried this on a hunch and was completely satisfied with the results.

Regards,
Dave
2004 S-Cab FX4

Old 05-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Engine5.Lt.
New User
Lightbulb

I'm having a Rhino sprayed on next week. I've gone to both Line-x and Rhino shops and looked at the process and the finished product. Basically, it depends on what your going to use your truck for and what your asthetic likes are. The Line-x is thinner and more brittle but will wear and wear forever. It's rough on the knees and cargo will slide around easier. I'm getting the rhino since my truck is a "pleasure" vehicle that won't be hauling much more than me & the Mrs. The rhino is thicker, softer on the knees and our "stuff won't move around as much when we're traveling. Also, you can get basic colors with the rhino or for a little more they'll match your paint. Line-X comes in black & black. If you can, go to both shops first and get a look see first hand. Good Luck & Good Truckin.

Old 05-27-2004, 02:31 PM
sprintcarcrazy
Senior User
I drove 240 miles round trip to get the line-x, could have went 1 mile for the Rhino, it was worth the drive.

Old 05-27-2004, 02:41 PM
dredmo
New User
Originally Posted by Engine5.Lt.
Also, you can get basic colors with the rhino or for a little more they'll match your paint. Line-X comes in black & black. .
http://www.goline-x.com/other3.asp

Line-X website claims they do colors.

"Custom Applications & Colors"

Quick Reply: Update and opinions on the stock Bedliner or Rhinolining?