Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

power stroke most durable diesel engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 05:35 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
The problem is that it has nothing to do with the original topic. I started another thread so we could have a discussion where new posters could read the entire thread, but it looks like that isn't going to work. Oh well, the beast lives on.
Threads wander and weave, doing a search and reading some of the long ones. ..amazing how they meander ...aimlessly at times changing variations of the theme every two to three pages.
Contributing to that, two posts ago. I am!

Old 08-02-2004, 05:59 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't Ford own Cummins?

Old 08-02-2004, 06:03 PM
351M
Posting Guru
Yea Ford owns Cummins, It is actually a scary thought for the Dodge guys. LOL

Old 08-02-2004, 06:09 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
I heard they bought Chrysler last year from Daimler and they are keeping the Ram around to make themselves look better. Ford is using Chrysler, specifically the Ram, for a tax writeoff. Since Ford already owns Cummins, they can eliminate the Cummins from the Dodge trucks and use it in the SuperDuty trucks. The latest I read from BlueOvalNews was that they were designing an I-2 hemi diesel for use in the Ram. It supposedly makes 16 ft/lbs of torque, but peak torque is at 3 RPM. One of the popular options they are going to start offering is an optional 42" lawnmower deck.

Old 08-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Marine Ironman
You are exactly correct. The problem is that three of us have stated exactly the same thing from slightly different prospectives. None of them made the slightest dent in the collective skulls. That is why this thread is so long. Some will never get it.

Old 08-02-2004, 06:39 PM
FERacing66
Posting Guru
I wonder if it will set any records.

Old 08-02-2004, 06:57 PM
ga302p
Elder User
Originally Posted by MW95F250
Quit beating this dead horse--this thread is old and we have discussed every possible aspect. Otherwise I will let loose with the I-6 Hemi Diesel stuff again.
Do you think I am the only one beating a dead horse. I was simply pointing out the fact to Choctaw Bob that my numbers are not bogus.

Old 08-02-2004, 07:02 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Well, it's official, the I-2 Hemi Diesel with 42" lawnmower deck finished in third place behind John Deere and Craftsman. It seems that the peak torque, 16 ft/lbs at 3 RPM, just wasn't enough to compete with the other two. I wouldn't worry, though. The I-2 Hemi Diesel Ram has *best in class interior room.

*Figures based on sales of full-size pickups with underpowered Hemi Diesels with the lawnmower deck option.

Old 08-02-2004, 07:06 PM
ga302p
Elder User
What are we participating in? The same posts, the same points. Let this post die. The topic that we are actually discussin has nothing to do with the original post. There are threads that you could dig up that are about the Cummins vs the PSD. Why don't we give that a try?
Johns diesel, It is very easy to click the unsubscribe button on your user control panel. If you do that to this post, it will go away, for you anyway. If I hated it as bad as you, I would have done that a long time ago. I usually unsubscribe to a couple a night.

Old 08-02-2004, 07:11 PM
ga302p
Elder User
What are we participating in? The same posts, the same points. Let this post die. The topic that we are actually discussin has nothing to do with the original post. There are threads that you could dig up that are about the Cummins vs the PSD. Why don't we give that a try?
Would you like to discuss durability of 6.0 PSD again. Ok, here goes. The 6.0 is relatively new and unproven. Ford does not have the right to claim it is the "most durable" diesel engine. See, back on topic. P.S. As far as that goes, the 600 Cummins is new and unproven, Chrysler doesn't have the right to claim it is the "most Durable" engine. BUT, as far as I know, Chrysler didn't make that claim.

Old 08-02-2004, 07:20 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Actually, that was not the topic at all. The topic had to do with what Ford was basing that statement on, not whether or not you agree with it. See, you're off topic already.

Old 08-02-2004, 07:34 PM
dspencer
Senior User
johnsdiesel

go read the first post again. The original poster disagreed with the ford statement. Go tell him he was off topic. At least your version of it.

Old 08-02-2004, 07:38 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
He wanted to know how they could claim that it was the most durable. The way they can claim that is by basing it on all PSDs ever produced. There, black and white based on his first post. Not only did I answer his first question, I understand what the topic was. That's his version of it. He disagreed with the statement but wanted to know how they could get away with saying it.

Did you get the 42" mower deck on your Dodge?

Old 08-02-2004, 07:45 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Well, it's official, the I-2 Hemi Diesel with 42" lawnmower deck finished in third place behind John Deere and Craftsman. It seems that the peak torque, 16 ft/lbs at 3 RPM, just wasn't enough to compete with the other two. I wouldn't worry, though.
*Figures based on sales of full-size pickups with underpowered Hemi Diesels with the lawnmower deck option.
Now see there you go spotting stuff with out the facts, how can you say "that" ...when you don't know the height of the lawn or the moisture content of both test subjects...the lawn….that was cut during the test. Was it a Ford owned lawn, maintained by the Dodge boys.

You say "The I-2 Hemi Diesel Ram has *best in class interior room." sure it does riding lawn mowers don't have doors roofs and well all that stuff...
This thread is gone..how sharp was the blade...

Old 08-02-2004, 07:51 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Well, Ford did own the lawn. To be fair, the Dodge had more uphill stretches than the John Deere and Craftsman. It had absolutely no trouble at all towing the 16 cu/ft utility trailer. It was also revealed recently that the Craftsman and John Deere had been secretly equipped with mulching blades before the test giving them an obvious advantage on appearance. Next year rumors are that the I-2 Hemi Diesel Ram will be equipped with a new transmission based on the 1978 Craftsman snowblower transmission.

Quick Reply: power stroke most durable diesel engine?