Computer Chips & Tuners  

What is that SMELL (with Diablo Chip) 5.4??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 08:35 PM
92GT5ohRed
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is that SMELL (with Diablo Chip) 5.4??

This is going to sound strange. Here is goes - in January I installed my diablo delta chip in my 03 5.4L F250SD. I LOVE the way it works... but.... the exhaust smells so foul I can't even stand it. I honestly feel bad for anyone driving behind me. My fear is that it means something is not "right" in there.

Has anyone ever noticed this and is it normal or not? I bought the chip from Motorhaven and cannot be more satisfied with the sale and support. I have not contacted them yet directly but I also know Ken and others surf this forum so maybe it will be a double hit. I found and researched the chip in this forum, seemed like the place to go with a question.

FYI : The tank before the chip I switched to 93 octane and have never gone back. I have about 5000 miles on the truck since the chip swap. I have tried differnet brands of fuel, and other than a difference in performance between brands, I have the same smell with them all.

Help ! (please)

Old 04-16-2004, 03:30 AM
supercoop
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed Diablo chip a month ago & have been using Exxon 93 octane, since pre chip. I haven't notice any out of the ordinary smells from the exhaust. '04 V10

Old 04-16-2004, 07:01 AM
openclasspro
Senior User
92 gt,
is there soot in the tailpipe? maybe it's running richer instead of leaner??????????-phil

Old 04-16-2004, 08:17 AM
92GT5ohRed
Senior User
Nah, it looks fine in there. I don't drive it hard as a rule, but it does not seem to matter - if I throttle it it smells, if I baby it - it smells. No soot though to answer the question. The very end, maybe 1/2" is almost clean I'd say. If I was not in PA with emissions I'd take the cat off but I need to leave it alone.

Old 04-16-2004, 09:35 PM
eeglot
Junior User
probabaly your cat getting hot..............more power heats the cat to temps it hasnt seen before. how long have you had the Diablo in? Im asking cause it may eventually get better, once the cat is cleaned out with all that carbon and build-up, it also possible that the cat could burn up and not take the heat too well. Long blasts at WOT, can burn a catalytic converter up with a chip and more power.

Just monitor it, and make sure your running premium fuel, and I would guess you are if your running a chip. The cat may have old fuel deposits in it, and the added heat is bringing it out.

Sorry, just re-read your post................give it a little more time, it may get better, and contimue to run 93 fuel.

Eric

Last edited by eeglot; 04-16-2004 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:15 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If the above doesn't solve it, give us a call. 770-918-8400

Old 05-14-2004, 05:05 PM
92GT5ohRed
Senior User
Ken, Update Please

Hi Ken. I sent the chip back on 4/26, any ETA? We're going to be at 3 weeks Monday and the truck really is a dog without that chip. I have to drive to Ohio (11 hrs) - with 1600 lbs in the bed - next week and was hoping for the chip. I tried to call you yesterday and the number had been changed? Maybe I mis-dialed. Let me know when you can, Rick.

Old 05-23-2004, 09:26 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, our number changed (the recording gives out the new number). We moved to a newer, larger office/warehouse and our number wasn't portable to the new location. It should have been shipped a while ago. Give us a ring if you haven't gotten it and we'll do a track on it.