More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
oil leak from oil cooler at 2300 miles

Old 09-30-2001, 10:40 AM
okmike
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have oil leak from the oil cooler in my new 2002 f250 crew cab deisel at 2300 miles. The engine oil cooler under engine on drivers side just above the oil filter was leaking and oil was blowing from that area and back about to where the rear door starts under drivers side following the frame rail and fuel lines etc. I took it to the dealer and he confirmed after putting a black light to it since it still had the dye in the original oil from the factory.(sad isnt it) From what i saw the cooler looks like a cannister about the size of one of those alladin thermoses but a little shorter with a cap on each end and is grey metal in color. The dealer mechanic replaced the cooler itself, the rear cap and all th o rings with it. The only thing he did not replace was the front "cap" for lack of a better word and that was because there computer only showed 7 in stock across the country. Well, he concluded that it must be the front cap that is not sealing since it still leaked there after replaceing everything but that. He said it must not have been machined correctly pryor to assembly. Does anyone know anything about this problem? Please help with any info. THANKS

Old 10-03-2001, 07:11 PM
okmike
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I got the truck out of the shop today and the oil leak was fixed. Apperently the oil cooler manifold, which is the the aluminum part of the oil cooler that attaches to the block was the problem. The theory is that when this part was machined initially at international(i think) it was left very porrous where the gasket attackes and would not seat and seal completely. Any how, it works good now.