Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Axle service in the Austin area?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 03:12 PM
bigric
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Axle service in the Austin area?

Does anybody know of a good shop that does axle service in the Austin area? Or how about you or somebody you know? I need to regear my 8.8 and my Dana 44 but would rather have somebody who knows what they're doing set the gears.

Old 06-01-2004, 08:20 PM
13MWZ
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Austin Drivetrain on the South bound side frontage road of 183 just South of Lamar (or is it Burnet? I forget). They are the best in the buis around these parts. The problem with them though is that they have huge mood swings. I swear, you can go in one day and they are the biggest jackasses in the world and wont help you worth a darn. Then you can go back in 2 hrs later and they will be all smiley and happy-go-lucky, give you hook ups, treat you like a king.
Either way though they do the best work around. They did some work on my '66 Mustang, on my 97 F350, on my buddies 96 F350 (he was having some totaly custom work done and they were more than happy to help), and one of my old girlfriends truck.
She (my old girlfriend in high school) backed her truck off a storm drain and busted the driveshaft all up. She needed a new one before her Dad got back in town the next day so he wouldnt find out. We searched bone yards and couldt find the right one and finaly ended up at Austin Drivetrain. They built the driveshaft there in the shop and had it ready the next morning. I picked it up, installed it (perfect fit by the way!) and painted it black so it wouldnt stand out. Dont recal the cost, but it was much less than I though it would be.
Check em out, and no, I dont work for them. LOL

Old 06-04-2004, 06:39 AM
bigric
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks. They do good work, but they're very expensive. They wanted $600 in labor alone to change rings and pinions on the two axles, and that's if I brought the axles in loose. That's why I'm shopping around now...

Old 06-04-2004, 08:19 PM
polcat
Elder User
Bigric, that is probaly the only place I can think of too. let ask a few friends and see if their is anyone else than can help you out.