1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Looking for pics of Saphire Blue (purple) Rangers

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 10:51 AM
propellerhead
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for pics of Saphire Blue (purple) Rangers

I have a purple 96 Ranger that I bought back in 97 for a really good price. I was only concerned with practicality and didn't care about the color. Now, the truck is becoming my son's truck, and he hates the color. I can't blame a 17 year old. I would've hated it too when I was his age. So, we're thinking about making it a project and getting it all painted and lowered and so on. I personally prefer a lift and big tires, but he prefers street tires and lowering. Ok, he wins that one.

It will cost a lot more to repaint the truck into a different color. This would have to include the door jambs, etc. It would be cheaper if we stuck with the current Saphirre Blue (it's freakin purple!). I know there are some really nice tricked out (is that the right term?) purple Ford Rangers out there. Does anyone have links to galleries of dressed up purple Rangers?

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2004, 04:21 PM
4LitreRR
New User
Well, I don't have any pics of my truck, which is a 96 but it's not sapphire blue, rather it's Baysonberry Blue (From what I found on the net). It is purple, but at first I didn't like it, now I am very glad I put up with the color (However mine is not a light purple, there are those very ugly lighter purples.. it's very dark and it has a bit of metallic quality to it). Turns out, I was really the only one who didn't like it, everyone else loves it, although there is slight joking, but it makes the car more fun. I love the color now, and I'm 18. It's a great Truck, the girls love it, and with some aggressive looking tires, maybe dual tips, and Fender Flares it'll look a little more Manly. However, Rangers just don't look good lowered in my opinion.. Makes them look girly. So tell your son, You are giving this truck to him as a gift and he's going to get used to it or he can put up the money to buy the upgrades. Don't waste your money on turning the truck into a piece of crap. He'll never lose the truck in a parking lot, and it feels nice not having the same color as the 10 other rangers I see every day. Well that's my advice, good luck with your son.

Old 06-03-2004, 10:39 AM
propellerhead
Senior User
Thanks for the reply.

We agreed on Ambulance Orange. It's like the 04 Mustang's Competition Orange. I was never into street trucks either. To me, a truck should have big tires and sit a foot off the ground. But my wife talked me into going along our son on this one. I'm ok with lowering it, as long as we don't go ridiculously low. Maybe an inch or two from stock. I think it will look nice. I'll be posting progress pictures at www.cardomain.com/id/jay9542.

Old 06-03-2004, 11:49 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about modifying the paint job so you've got two-tone? It's easier than a completely repainting.

Old 06-03-2004, 01:10 PM
Rand
Elder User
Just dont goto maaco or earl shive(sp?)
Those places suck the paint blows and will flake and chip off after a year or 2 then you have purple showing through orange?? YUCK.
I would think it would cost $$$$'s to repaint. You might just want to go find another ranger in a different color. It would probably be cheaper.

Rand

Old 06-03-2004, 06:49 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Rand
Just dont goto maaco or earl shive(sp?)
Those places suck the paint blows and will flake and chip off after a year or 2 then you have purple showing through orange?? YUCK...
I agree, if you are going to change the paint color to such a degree, then you can't skimp on quality. Ask around, and find out who the real pros are in your area.

Old 06-03-2004, 10:21 PM
psycocrazy
Senior User
i might be kinda color blind, but in my family, that trucks more blue than purple. tell your son he can put a bigger motor in if he jacks it up instead of lowering it., just tell him it costs some big money, even if you do it yourself.

Old 06-04-2004, 12:13 AM
propellerhead
Senior User
Kinda off topic now but my spousal unit and I discussed this project a lot.

Option 1: At least $20,000 for a new truck. Full warranty. Near zero risk.
Option 2: Around $10,000 for a decent used one. Limited warranty. High risk.
Option 3: Up to $5,000 to fix up the Ranger we already have. Low risk.

We threw out Option 2 early in the game. Option 1 meant a new loan plus higher insurance costs. Option 3 seemed like the best one. This 96 Ranger has 142,000 on the clock and has had no major problems. I've replaced the windshield, spark plugs, spark plug wires, brake pads, shocks and tires. Then the usual oils and filters. It's been a really good truck. Dressing and fixing it up is also going to be a project. I've wanted to do this myself before but it was my daily driver and I chose to just leave things alone. Now, it's partly for fun.

Old 06-04-2004, 01:59 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
If you have the time to do it piece by piece, painting it yourself can be very rewarding. I've never done an entire car, but I have done fenders and hoods and small dress up items. It's pretty easy if you can get the right paint and a good quality spray gun.

Old 06-07-2004, 10:48 AM
propellerhead
Senior User
I wish I had a paint booth. I have finished walls in my garage. I would not dare spray paint anything in my garage.