Sponsored by: DP Tuner

clutch slave cylinder piston squeak

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 03:05 PM
jda
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been a long time since I have been on here, Mother in law passed away, and a month later found out the wife has brest cancer, is about finished with chemo now, all looks good for the future. Now, my question. I have a 1987 F250, 4 speed, 4X4, I thought was a 6.9, but have since found it is a 7.3 non turbo, was told it is a late year 1987. It has the glow plugs that are rounded on top, not the prong plug type top. and a mechanic told me the glow plug timer is on the back of the block, not on the fender like a 6.9. But my question is about the clutch slave cylinder. I started having a very hight pitched squeal noise from the transmission area, thought it was the throw out bearing, replaced it, drove down the road for 10 miles or so, and it started the very same thing again. It does it at idle in neutrel, or going down the road. Very high pitched, can hear it over the engine. at idle or going down the road, if you push the clutch pedel in about one half inch, it stops the noise. Stays stopped with the clutch pedel in further. So I left the truck running and got under it and started listening. I have found it is coming from the point where the slave cylinder (outside the transmission) piston contacts the arm that goes to the throwout bearing. I don't think this will cause any mechanical problems, have tried putting WD40, etc, there, helps for a little while, then starts back. It is very annoying. I bought the little kit from the dealer for the slave cylinder that has the plastic cap that goes over the ball end of the cylinder piston, put that on, no help. While the truck is at idle, and under the truck, almost any movement of the arm to the bearing, or the rod from the slave cylinder makes it stop the squeal. any ideas? I hope it is nothing mechanical, just a squeal, but the noise about drives me crazy (just bite your lip, I know, I know, I didn't have far to go anyway.) As always, any suggestions, opinions, experiences or two cents worth is appreciated.

Old 10-27-2001, 01:05 PM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts