biodiesel

Old 05-18-2004, 04:04 PM
hcclimber
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
biodiesel

i have been doing some reading on biodiesel over the last few weeks and months... have any of you guys run it in a PSD long term or know anyone who has... From some of the things that I have read, it doesnt sound like a bad option, but I just dont know about the long term effects. If any of you guys know of a good link or a study or any info on bio being run in a PSD I would appreciate it... Thanks!!!

stewart

Old 05-18-2004, 04:34 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
There are only 3 drawbacks to using biodiesel as I see it. It doesn't perform as well in cold weather, it eats away at rubber, and it's expensive. Fortunately, most modern engines don't have any rubber in the fuel system.

I think all the positives outweigh the negatives. It's good for the environment, it has the same amount of energy as #2 diesel (if you get good stuff), and it lubricates better than #2 diesel.

I plan on making my own biodiesel in the near future and have been doing a bit of research myself. One thing that I've heard is that once you make the transition to biodiesel, especially on an older engine, you'll have to change the fuel filter quite frequently at first. Apparently it cleans out old crud and deposits form the fuel system and it ends up in the fuel bowl.

Old 05-18-2004, 07:26 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

What kind of biodiesel do you have that has as much energy as #2 diesel?
I've been studying and doing tests with soy-biodiesel and have found that is has less (not a lo less) energy than #2, but performance-wise it was equal to #2 diesel, but had a little higher fuel consumption because of the lower energy.
Here is a great website that defines the difference between soy diesel and biodiesel.
http://energy.cas.psu.edu/soydiesel.html
I know people on here have talked about burning vegetable or fryer oil, but after reading this, I highly recommend that you DO NOT use it!!!
But otherwise, what johnsdiesel stated, it will add lubricity, better for the environment as well as raise cetane number.
I love the stuff, particurlarly soy-biodiesel, and with the new regulations from the EPA and their low sulfur diesel by 2010, it will be one of the best alternatives. The lower sulfur will reduce the lubricity in the fuel, but since biodiesel already meets the requirements and still has better lubricity, it will be a great alternative.

Old 05-18-2004, 07:30 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Maybe I should have said that it performs as well as #2, but I've heard that good biodiesel has as much energy as #2. I can't remember where I read it, but if I do I'll post a link.

I agree, I won't run SVO in my truck.

Old 05-18-2004, 08:19 PM
Radian26
Junior User
Old 05-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Oklahoma
Senior User
I saw a post from a guy a little while ago that had used it for 3 or so years? Maybe he will post.

Make sure to remember the legal issues. I haven't checked lately but it was going to be or maybe is approved as an alternative fuel source for diesels? Don't really care anyway. That will be a problem; making your own or buying as a lubricant in bulk. You can't burn untaxed FUEL in your PU. But you can use a fuel 'additive'. If you make your own watch what happens in the next several years. You can smell the difference in used oil. You have no chance of getting caught right now anyway. Read about its use in UK and the laws/fines. I know first hand that people have burned vegy oil since the 70's. Don't know about before then.

All that aside, go for it. Good for enviro vs petro and you can do your part to give OPEC and Mid E. the finger. Just throwing a seldom thought of issue (legality) towards you. Probably in a few years you will have to buy from pumps to avoid fines.

Last edited by Oklahoma; 05-19-2004 at 10:13 AM. Reason: ME to Mid E.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:28 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

You make a good point there. I guess I never thought about running untaxed fuel in the truck. But I think for most people, they won't run B100 (neat diesel) which is 100% biodiesel. Most commonly it's 2% or 5% and I think if you make your own biodiesel and add it to #2 to get a %2 mix, it shouldn't be a problem, as you said it's just an additive.
Thanks for the heads up though.

Old 05-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Paarrothead
Senior User
Originally Posted by Oklahoma
I saw a post from a guy a little while ago that had used it for 3 or so years? Maybe he will post.
Maybe that was me..I've been using anywhere from 20% (B-20) to 40% biodiesel blend in my F-250 for almost 2 years.

I think it's terriffic...Keeps the fuel and injectors clean and winter or summer my truck immediately cracks to life when I start it in the mornings. Very high cetane. I've run winterized B-40 down to 10 degrees F without any problems. That would be 40% biodisel blended with a winter 20% #1 / 80% #2 mix.

I've seen no difference in power or mileage up to that 40%. Bio might have energy per gallon between #1 and #2 dino diesel, but it's high cetane means it ignites more readily and completely. So it all washes out.

There's a local fellow around here that's done better than 500 RWHP on biodiesel in a 2000 F-250 at one of our dyno days.

Make sure to remember the legal issues. I haven't checked lately but it was going to be or maybe is approved as an alternative fuel source for diesels?
Except for Cummins, the engine manufacturers haven't mentioned anything about it for some time (that I've read about). I do know that because it's easily available around here, the cities of Denver and Boulder, CO have switched their diesel fleets to B-20 to reduce air pollution and give the Middle East a few less $$.

Old 05-19-2004, 09:27 PM
ramtruckman
Junior User
Paarrothead,

I also live in Loveland. Where do you buy your biodiesel from? How much do you pay or it?

Old 05-20-2004, 08:01 AM
Paarrothead
Senior User
I work in Boulder, so I have been buying my fuel from Bartkus Oil on old Pearl Street. There are a whole bunch of new distributors that might be more convenient for you, depending on where you travel. From the Blue Sun site (www.gobluesun.com):

Poudre Valley Co-op
225 NW Frontage Road
Fort Collins, CO
(by the auction place, NW of the Hwy 14 interchange)

La Salle Oil
320 N 1st Sreet
La Salle, CO
7:00-4:30 M-F, 8:00-12:00 Sat

*** Oil Company
555 East 8th Street
Greeley, CO
7:30-5:00 M-F, 8:00-12:00 Sat

And there's several retailers in Boulder and Denver, if you travel that way.

Try a tank full, you'll agree with my experience. Good Stuff.

Old 05-20-2004, 10:39 AM
mudinford
Elder User
http://www.distributiondrive.com/products.html

This is where i got my last batch and he has some good explaination on the pros and cons of the stuff. I liked mine in my 6 banger....smelled good too!

Dan "Mudinford" MacDonald

Old 05-20-2004, 10:45 AM
jamesbfishin
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would someone have any probs running biodiesel in a completely stock 97' 7.3 psd? If so what kind of mods are needed? thanks

Old 05-20-2004, 11:54 AM
Oklahoma
Senior User
James, the rule of thumb is 'no mods needed to run BD'. That's what you will see at a lot of BD sites, but not sometimes not 100% true. You can run the lower blends just fine. Higher blends and especially B100 for extended periods you need to know that your fuel system components are compatible, no plain rubber I think? Someone else will chime in that knows the list and exact materials that are OK. On the flip side, I have seen sites where people have said their vehicles have ran years with rubber. So who knows? Just to be on the safe side I would find out about the fuel system materials. Too many sites list this as a percaution to not pay attention to it.

Would you please post back if you find out a range of PSD years with fuel materials? I have a 1995 and have been curious but not pursued it. I'm chicken and only use lower blends. By the way, you might want to buy an extra fuel filter and keep it in truck. BD is a very good solvent. High blends or B100 is supposed to clean the crud out of your tank and fuel lines.

Old 05-21-2004, 01:19 PM
vino53
Freshman User
Biodiesel Bulletin for Powerstroke 6.0: Please go to following website:http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/bulletin.htm
Says to stay with B5. I'm going to try B20.

Bill

2003 Excursion 6L Powerstroke
Oilguard