Sponsored by: DP Tuner

'99 Powerstroke will not start - and still at the Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 10:17 PM
strokeme
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post '99 Powerstroke will not start - and still at the Dealership

I purchased my '99 (March) F250 7.3L 4x4 crewcab new in April 1999. At approximately 12,000 after hitting a bump in the road my truck died. I turned the key off, and then on, and it started - no problem. My truck did this exactly 6 times over 70,000 miles and it happened after hitting a bump(s) in the road. I mentioned this to my dealer and they could not find anything. On the 7th time my truck died and would not restart. The dealership replaced the cam sensor. I thought I had finally found the problem!

The 8th time my truck restarted, but I started to notice that the problem was increasing in frequency. Number 9 left me on the side of the road with the wrecker lights flashing (Nov 20th).

The mechanic said the cam sensor and the high pressure oil pump was out. He replaced these parts and the truck did not start. The mechanic said he was getting code "1212" and proceeded to install an additional (2nd) high pressure oil pump. Believe it or not he got it started and drove it down the road for a test drive, It died again (Nov 26th).

As of this post the engine has still not started. In addition the mechanic has swaped/exchanged the PCM and the high pressure oil pump regulator. They have supposedly check computer connections, wireing harnesses, etc - still no results.

Has anyone experienced anything simular to this?

The truck currently has 91,500 miles and is the toughest,well-built,pullingness truck I've ever owned. I just need some help to get her back on the road.

Thanks

Old 11-29-2001, 08:16 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru

I have no experience with this particular fault, but it does sound like a poor electrical connection. Do you notice anything else going dead at the same time, ie. dash gauges, etc.? When the engine dies, does your check engine light come on? If not, I would venture a guess that the main power or ground to the ECM is being interrupted. Intermittent problems are a real mother to find, but it's not impossible.

Old 11-30-2001, 10:05 PM
strokeme
New User

The dealership got my truck started! They told me that a bolt had backed out causing a gear to move that turned the high pressure oil pump. They said the engine needed 500+ psi on the high pressure oil pump before it would start ( my truck was only showing 30-40). Parts are due in Monday.

Old 12-01-2001, 01:39 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like you need a new mechanic. I say that because in your first post you indicated that the mechanic replaced the high pressure oil pump twice. In order to replace the high pressure oil pump, the bolt that the mechanic now claims was loose has to be removed, which means if it was loose, he must have left it loose.
I agree with Rob_nc on the fact that it sounds like a loose connection somewhere in the wiring harness.

Old 12-01-2001, 08:25 PM
Lashlaroo
Senior User

Sounds like the sensor on the crank shaft is going south?

Old 12-02-2001, 10:47 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru

Lashlaroo is talking about the cam sensor -- it has already been replaced.
Have your mechanic unplug the cam sensor and grab the green wire while holding the plug with the other hand and pull on the wire to see if it comes out of the plug. We have had some problems with the manufacturer of the wiring harness crimping this connection too hard. Sometimes they crimp it so hard that they actually crimp the wire in two.

Old 12-05-2001, 03:24 AM
strokeme
New User

Joe your right on target, I picked my truck up from the shop yesterday and the mechanic showed me a (sensor) plug that was bad. I drove the truck home - so far so good. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-05-2001, 07:25 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru

I hope they didn't charge you for all of the on-the-job training their technician received while working on your truck. Sounds like they had a genuine parts replacer working on it.

Old 12-06-2001, 02:56 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru

Sometimes there is no other choice than to just start replacing parts on these intermittant electrical problems. They can be a bear to locate.

Old 12-06-2001, 07:38 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru

I agree with that, however, it's pretty obvious they weren't looking in the right area to begin with.

Old 12-06-2001, 11:59 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru

It is hard to know where to look when the problem you're looking for is not presenting itself at the time you're looking for it. If you hit a bump and your engine dies, you pull over to the side of the road and it starts right back up again, where do you look for the cause? If it doesn't restart you've got something to hang your hat on but if you're looking for an intermittant problem while it intermittantly is NOT happening, you almost need a crystal ball to know where to begin.

Old 12-07-2001, 11:26 AM
ddestruel
Senior User

I think on my old 95 when we had a similar problem that it turned out to be the oil sensor thought there was no oil in the engine ocassionally and would shut it off something about the jolting knocked the wire end loose or something in the sensor, either way it turned into a dealer problem i traded it off for a 86 6.9 four speed F-250 got tired of the electrical problems.
Simplicity is Better. :7

My .02
Dusty

Old 12-07-2001, 11:56 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru

Simplicity is better? I know a guy who has a buckboard and a matched pair of Clydesdales that he'd sell for the right price.

Old 12-07-2001, 12:19 PM
curmudgeon
Senior User
Post '99 Powerstroke will not start - and still at the Dealership

The buckboard and horses are mine, and they're a darn good deal, too. I only used 'em to tow Chevys down yonder to the garage, and haul front end parts up the holler a ways to the Dodge boys. Think I'll use the money for another '91 IDI Ford.

Old 12-07-2001, 08:30 PM
ddestruel
Senior User

Well we have established that a dodge vacume lock front end is junk (knew that when they first came out), that chevys are only useful behind a team of Clydesdales and that simplicity does stand on four legs or in some cases 4 wheels. LOL i like this idea, so when do we hook up to my roomate's truck so i can stop having to load it on trailers and pull it home. Thats the best solution ive heard yet since i thinks its impossible to make that piece of ..... a reliable vehicle. He was either dropped as a child or power birthed to not realize that his future is full of problems with one of those things. LOL

Quick Reply: '99 Powerstroke will not start - and still at the Dealership