1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bangy Clangy Driveshaft (yeah the slip yoke)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Quikirk
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangy Clangy Driveshaft (yeah the slip yoke)

Maybe I'm picky but I've always been frustrated when I shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third and get that lousy metal to metal backlashing kinda sound. I finally dropped the driveshaft and worked the slip yoke back and forth just for the heck of it and put it back up and ran the trk as usual. The clang was gone..........for about a day then it came back. I dropped the shaft again and greased the heck out of the slip yoke and put the shaft back together. This lasted about a wk or so with no noise. now it's back. What gives??? It doesn't make noise if I short shift or if I run the r's up to about 3000. Most of the time I'm shifting around 22-2500. I'm not perfect at shifting but I think I'm pretty good at it. I've been driving trks with sticks for about 30 yrs now. Could it be that with the 4.30 gears if ya don't get the shift just perfect that that split second of compression causes the joint to bind??? That doesn't make sense though since the joint should compensate for that. Any other thoughts? Trk is two yrs old with 7600 mi, reg cab, long box, v-10, 4.30's with hand shakers, all manual.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:53 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What type of grease did you use ? there is a special grease needed here from Ford .

Also understand that this is a additive type lash,what I mean is
you take the backlash in the rear diff.Then add it to the play in the 5/6 speed tranny plus the slip joint.Plus any play in your input shaft to the clutch disc.

I'm not making excuses for this design, but just pointing out where the clunk/play comes from.

I have a 02 6speed /3.73 ls and I have the same thing.

Rich

Old 05-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Quikirk
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Rich. I used a general purpose grease. Never saw anything 'bout a special grease for this app........ooops. I'll just keep trying to avoid the clang. It just sounds damaging in some way, maybe it's just me.

Old 05-18-2004, 10:08 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your welcome quikirk !
If I have the p/n in the shop for the grease I'll post it in the am

Rich