1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

66 crew cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Matt66
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
66 crew cab

I just bought a 66 F-350 crew cab and was interested in swapping it onto a later frame. I would like to put it on something smaller like a F-100/150 frame. Anybody have any ideas on this? Matt

Old 05-15-2004, 11:56 PM
camperspecial65
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know about the fit issue, but my take on crewcabs is they are rare as heck....myself I would leave it as is....updating brakes,suspension and motor is pretty straightforward .

Just my .02 cs65

Old 05-16-2004, 06:15 AM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

Matt,
you can do that swap, but I'm sure you will have size issues. I'd suggest getting the W/B length for a 77-79 F150 supercab with the long bed. If the numbers work out with that choice, look for a F150 Trailer Special donor as that's the best bang for the buck. IMHO.

I'm almost certain you will have to screw around with the bed by having to cut some off it to get right fit, as even tho (73 -79s') super cab is slightly longer overall, they certainly are not as long as a crew cab. I believe you cold end up with a short bed crew cab set up affair. Although as I mentioned short bed may not be a conventional, OEM length.

I would have to respectfully disagree with camperspecial65 on upgrading a 66 F350. F 350s are not the same animal as F100 through light duty(6900#) F250. For 1 they use a single heavy duty I beam front end & 2 leaf springs for suspension. Upgrading that deal is next to impossible, and hardly worth the cost, IMHO.

Of course this is only my opinion on the plan, and based on what I think, not what I know since I have never actually done that particular 66 crewcab to later chassis & from an F350 to a lighter chassis. But I believe the info is right and the logic pretty fair, whatever. . . It's what I would do before I cruised around in a dually F350 for fun.

Then there's this consideration of; "If you upgrade brakes, suspension, engine and so forth the thing isn't OEM stock, anymore, anyhow". So For my $.02, I'd just plant a 4 door cab on a chassis I was more interested interested in and inclined to enjoy. Then fit the bed to what I had. You'll be a lot happier I'm sure.

You'll need to salvage & use the rear, or maybe the center crew cab cab mount outriggert from your 66 chassis to use on the later one, and place them to fit, but it's not rocket surgery and fairly easy to do. . . .

FBp

Last edited by FordBoypete; 05-16-2004 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:57 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Another note, I believe that truck is on a pre 65 or none I-beam chassis. The cab should be like the 61-64.

John

Old 05-16-2004, 01:01 PM
camperspecial65
Postmaster
fbP, thatnks for the enlightenment, I forgot bout the 1 tons....solid axle would be a pain for the reasons you mentioned above.

cs65

Old 05-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Matt66
Senior User
That is basically what I was thinking. I have been driving my 66 F-100 daily for about 2 years now and before I added power steering and brakes it was a bear to drive. This truck is about 30 " longer with an immovable suspension and single i beam. I don't even want to think of wrestling it into a parking spot. The purists can buy all the trucks they can find and leave them stock.
Does anyone know if the width on the frame rails is the same on the 70's trucks as it is on the 60's? Matt

Old 05-16-2004, 09:16 PM
SoTX yellow
Freshman User
Partial answer on width

There was a change in frame width at some point. Don't know when but I just measured my 65 F100 recently and it is 34" at the outsides of the frame rails. I had to cut down a receiver hitch a friend gave me from a mid to late 70's Ford 1/2 ton to get it to fit.

Old 05-16-2004, 09:49 PM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

No it's not the same in the rear,from cab mounts back. but it's same where engine and cabs mount.

Also dually & stake bodies are narrower than pickups are. It started with 73 & up due to fuel tank being put between the frame rails [where it should have been all along IMO]. I think stake bodies (OEM Flat Bed) & duallies use fuel tanks outside frame rails because 2nd wheel makes frame rails move closer to clear the tires & there's no room for the fuel tank.

Having said that I have seen F series, Stakes & Dualies to 75 w/ In cab fuel tanks. That concept gives me the creepies. I'm not riding in the same compartment as a fuel tank full of Gasoline! That Crew Cab ought to have outside saddle tank or two in fact.

Although I've never used 67-72 since the 73-79 has the goodies I want, like in frame mounted fuel tanks (73 & up) instead of in cab, & Better P/S & PDB's so I just get and use them.

Front mounts hit in 65 up, f100 through light duty [6900#gvw F250] but as mentioned(although not very clearly be me above) 66 F350 will have 61-64 style cab, with step wells in the doorways, and different front mounts, tall tranny tunnel etc. But the early mounts fasten just fine to later frames, They are what I called "Outriggers" because they extend outward, body sits on insulators and it all bolts to them.

I bet 75- up supercab body mount outriggers would work well. My point I think is I would do the swap if I was faced with the choices. But then again I've done a bunch of these retro/ upgrade chassis swaps, and the more I do the easier they get. I really believe anybody with fair to middlin' mechanical skills & ability, and a good set of tools & equipment, and a shop work area can do this swap.

I would advise weekend wrenchers w/light experience, and not too many tools to get help. It might be a bit much for hobbyists or true novices to giterdun themselves.

FWIW with dually axle frame width difference is rough, but with F100 - F150 FoMoCo 9' truck rear width difference can be finageled w/ wheel rim backset dimensions. My 66 is on a 79 F150 Trailer special SWB. I had to re-drill my bed to hit rear frame rails and fudge it a bit to offest the difference in wheel base. But wheel openings on 65 & 66 is swoopy and does not define a clear wheel opening, like a 73-79 does. I slid it back and forth until it looked right & bolted it down.
FBp

Last edited by FordBoypete; 05-16-2004 at 10:06 PM.