Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Snap On Rude Awakening

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 10:06 AM
Bikeitswift
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snap On Rude Awakening

I bought a Snap On Blue Pont Plasma Cutter on eBay, but it arrived with no manual. I couldn't get it cooking, so I called Tech Support at Snap On. The guy was very gruff and condescending about the fact that I wasn;t the original owner, and how did he know where it "came from". He ultimately answered my questions so I could get it running, but not without several verbal swipes taht amounted to "I don't even think I should be talking to you". or "we don't support ebay items". I didn't dare ask him to send me a manual, so I'll flag down a truck and try it from there. Anyone else aware that Snap On's famous warranty and support are only for the original purchaser? What arude experience...probably the rudest tech support person I have ever talked to. and I've dealt with a few. I was quite polite and civil, so I was no raving lunatic. The unit works great, icidentally.

Old 05-13-2004, 11:42 AM
86turbodsl
Freshman User
Snapon = Tool snobs

That's why I spend my money elsewhere.

Old 05-13-2004, 11:59 AM
shaggymane
Senior User
I'd report it. How do they expect to add customers? What idiocy. For all they know you could have lost the manual in a fire or something.
When i get a bad rep like that i hang up in the middle of my sentence like I was accidently cut off. Then i call back to see if the second person is better, more agreeable, or maybe they'll give me what i want. You never know.

Old 05-13-2004, 01:20 PM
stepman
Posting Guru
Good luck trying to "flag down" a truck. They don't like to deal with individuals either. I guess they don't think we have enough money to bother with. I do side jobs for a little extra cash and the last time I needed something from them, it took me a week to catch a truck and once I did the guy acted like he didn't want to waste his time with me.

Old 05-13-2004, 02:12 PM
2Wise4aGM
Senior User
I will agree that snap-on has the rudest people in the world working for them. It's really a shame, because they make some pretty good stuff. But after all the snap-on reps that I have met, I'll spend my money on MAC and MATCO.

Old 05-13-2004, 02:16 PM
biggieou
Elder User
Craftsman have always done my family well

Old 05-13-2004, 03:51 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
I would have asked to speak to his supervisor to report the poor cs. I won't tolerate crap like that.

Old 05-13-2004, 05:23 PM
66fdtrucknut
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know but my Snap-on guy is good. If I need something in a hurry, all I do is call him and he makes arrangements to get me what I need. Every company has a idiot that works for them.

Old 05-13-2004, 05:46 PM
peteyg
Senior User
Ditto here for my snap-on guy. He's always polite, gets me what I need, and is always available.

Old 05-13-2004, 06:11 PM
Bikeitswift
Senior User
Talk to his supervisor...

Originally Posted by buzzard
I would have asked to speak to his supervisor to report the poor cs. I won't tolerate crap like that.
In my years as a supervisor I came to fully understand that such attitutes and performance are really areflection of the "shop attitude", or the supervisor himself. A good one would not have tolerated it, and monitors his employees to assure info goes out in the way he or she wishes. The guy was a jerk, so I assume his still being employed there is a statement on that company's policies and attitudes as well. The Guy in the truck has to be nice, or he won't make a living selling.
I'm probably going to sell the unit, and go to a Thermal Dynamics , Miller, or some other brand name. I'll probably be able to sell for what I paid for it, or close to it, and the unit works fine. I just don't want to be kicking myself at some point in the future when it does need service, and there's that corporate attitude again. I just believe I'll "Snap Off" Snap On.

Old 05-13-2004, 06:54 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
bikeitswift may i use your posts in a e-mail to snap-on? i might get you a proper response. i won't use your name or info

Old 05-13-2004, 07:12 PM
stepman
Posting Guru
66 and pete...do you two work at a business where he comes to? The problem with them is that the only place they'll go is a business where they can sell to several people at once. They don't like to deal with individuals...not enough money in it. I get the same thing from ford if I ask for something small. They won't bother looking if it 's not worth their time (they won't make enough money)

Old 05-13-2004, 09:59 PM
Bikeitswift
Senior User
Please do let them know

Originally Posted by f=2504by497
bikeitswift may i use your posts in a e-mail to snap-on? i might get you a proper response. i won't use your name or info
Certainly, and you can include my name, email, etc. Their problem has to be further up than one rude employee. Either a clutz of a supervisor, who doesn't have a clue what his staff is doing, or bother to monitor their performance...or a corporate sell, sell, sell mentality that leaves their old products in the dust.
I will have to say that this posting, and a similar one I left on the Welding Web have elicited a number of replies, none defending Snap On, except for the good experience folks have with their individual drivers. Maybe if those the small guys owned the company it would be more consumer focused.
Pity.
It cuts very nicely, but I'll be putting it on eBay to, in essence, say..."Nice knowing ya...Have a good day", kinda like firing someone. I love my Miller Stick and my Miller MIG, and have been thinking of a Miller TIG...."maybe I shoulda had a Miller!!" I dread the thought of having it break on me.

Old 05-13-2004, 10:15 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks , i'll let you know what i find out here shortly, i deal with manufactors and rep, several of them , most of the time it just a matter of getting the info to the right person, and then giving them the time to correct the issues. most of them know where their bread is buttered so to speak. can you give me a time and date that you called ?

Ray

Old 05-13-2004, 10:34 PM
Bikeitswift
Senior User
My contact time was...

Originally Posted by f=2504by497
thanks , i'll let you know what i find out here shortly, i deal with manufactors and rep, several of them , most of the time it just a matter of getting the info to the right person, and then giving them the time to correct the issues. most of them know where their bread is buttered so to speak. can you give me a time and date that you called ?

Ray
It was this morning...about 10:30 I'd guess. The individual I dealt with was in Pennsylvania, because I asked where he was talking to me from.

Quick Reply: Snap On Rude Awakening