Water Pump Question

Old 05-09-2004, 06:22 AM
Steve_B
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Pump Question

Hi

The water pumps on my flathead V8 have been replaced with a single pump by a previous owner

I want to go back to 2 pumps but the holes in the block have been modified to fit the single pump (picture in my gallery)

Do you guys think this will give me a problem and do you have any suggestions for repairing, welding, JB weld etc

Thanks in advance

Stephen

Old 05-09-2004, 05:54 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
Hoo boy, I don't know. The right side (of the picture) I think will be under the gasket and pump body and probably won't cause any problems.

The left side is another deal. Pretty sure it's open beyond the gasket/pump body. I think I'd try taking it to someone who could repair cast iron and see if a filler piece could be welded in (cast iron rod and/or nickle rod at low heat and then machined flush. It wouldn't be subjected to heat stress like a cylinder wall so it should hold that way. Check into cast iron welding before trying to mess with it.

Before you even do that, however, look carefully at the w/p flat. Is that a crack from the 3 o'clock bolt position I see? If you're cracked into the water jacket you're going to want to clean and Magnaflux test the block before you spend too much money on it.

Old 05-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Steve_B
Senior User
Thanks Tim

I am glad to say that is not a crack, just dirt

I spoke to a friend who is a Blacksmith and has welded cast iron before, he suggested brazing may be a better solution, I will get a few more opinions

Stephen

Old 05-12-2004, 11:32 AM
sosotwo
Senior User
I put a pic in my gallery it might help to see if you are good to go.

Old 05-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Steve_B
Senior User
Thanks Soso One, it looks like the pumps come close to the timing cover so I may be OK
I will order some pumps this weekend

Search this Thread