Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I found the perfect powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 12:07 PM
proud300_I6
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow I found the perfect powerstroke

I've found the perfect truck for me ... Well almost. It has an automatic and I want a 5-speed. So how hard of a time do you think I'm going to have trying to find a '97 7.3 PSD 5-speed F-250 HD, XLT, 4x4 tow package, off road package. If you saw my other thread then you know I have a year to find the truck of my dreams, but I'm already getting discouraged. This link should take you to the closest match I've found: http://www.cars.com/search/used/cc/s...onal&src=&cid=

Do you all think I need to bend my wishes and find one that is good enough and settle or try to find my ideal truck.
Thanks
Tommy

Old 05-11-2004, 02:01 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you all think I need to bend my wishes and find one that is good enough and settle
No way!! Hold out for the handshaker......it'll turn up.

I've yet to get a ride in one of those trucks with the high dollar custom auto's, but I have ridden in several with stock automatics.....frankly I'm generally underwhelmed by their performance. Soft and mushy...like an automatic.

Every time I rev her up and dump the clutch prior to dissapearing in a cloud of smoke I'm glad I held out for the manual.

Just one opinion of course.

Old 05-11-2004, 03:50 PM
TWolf
Elder User
I just saw a 96 or 97 for sale in a flyer here in Montana. It had 137,000 miles said good shape for $12,995. While I am running around town I will get one of the flyers and get a phone number if you are interested. So it's a long way to travel. Great road test.

Old 05-11-2004, 04:09 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Have you tried www.autotrader.com? I did a search within 300 miles of Roanoke and came up with a page of results for 1995-1997 PSD, manual trans, 4x4.

Old 05-11-2004, 06:47 PM
bobcatv8
Senior User
I agree with johnsdiesel. Keep looking at autotrader sites, local area newspapers and be ready to move on the right truck when you spot one. ALWAYS see it first with your OWN eyes before you make an offer. I ran down a bunch of trucks that looked great in pics but were absolute clapped out smoky smelling pig pens upon seeing them in person.
I kept checking on the autotrader site {I first saw it on autotrader.com} and others for over 6 months when the perfect truck came to a used truck dealer less than 3 miles from my house! I only drove by his lot about once every 2 weeks or so, as he was not on my work to home drive route. He has a pipeline to a big motorhome dealer in Tampa who was not interested in the tow rigs that people traded in on big motorcoaches. He would buy the tow vehicles from the RV dealer and they kept the 5th wheel trailers. I don't know about the area you are in, but down here in FL the RV places always seem to have nice real "Mom and Pop" trade ins. Check around any RV/Motorhome dealers in your area. Even if they don't take truck trade ins they may hook you up with customers who have the trucks and you can deal straight with them saving them the trading in problem. I got a '95 F250 PSD 2wd s/cab a/t with only 57,000 miles for $11,500. This truck is nearly perfect inside and out. It is even a Florida truck bought new at Bartow Ford. Even the salesmen and managers at the Lincoln Merc dealership I work at say they couldn't have done better at the auction. That was last October and I have had zero problems with the truck!
Moral of the story is keep turning over all the rocks you have to and don't settle! Your perfect truck is out there. Have patience and be ready to pounce when the right one comes along!!!

Old 05-11-2004, 08:21 PM
LuLuGoin2ADiesel
Elder User
Good things come to those who wait......... even though it's a real ball buster. She'll turn up bud. Be patient.

Old 05-11-2004, 09:44 PM
Byrddog
Senior User
It took me a while also. I found my dream truck on E-Bay motors.
These guys are right dont bend, you'll find the one.

Old 05-11-2004, 10:14 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess I was lucky found my dream truck first day out shopping for one. But definetly wait to buy yours. Do not make payments on something you don't want. It will come around!!!

Fire Rooster

Old 05-11-2004, 10:25 PM
LuLuGoin2ADiesel
Elder User
Yeah it took me a good three months to find mine. Chances are that you might not get everything you want, but don't settle for anything less than the main features you want. You'll get that feeling when you see it or drive it. I had love at first sight.... ironically I bought mine on Valentine's Day! Haaaa! Girlfriend didn't like that too much, but oh well. Good luck bud, keep your buddies here posted!

Old 05-12-2004, 11:12 AM
proud300_I6
New User
Thanks guys,
I think I'll listen to your advice. The longest it seems any of you have had to wait is 3 months and I still have a year and 3 months so it'll turn up somewhere in there.

Oh yeah, thanks for saying ya'll keep an eye out for me. I'll take all the help I can get. Either email me the link/phone number or post it here.

race_and_4x4@hotmail.com

~Tommy