Sponsored by:

Last cargo cover in the country?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 09:11 AM
NH-Hottie
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Last cargo cover in the country?

It arrived yesterday. I immediately opened the box, and I pulled out my brand new mocha cargo cover for my Bronco.

So let me tell you guys my story. I had no plans on looking for a cargo cover since there were so many other things that I need and want to buy for my truck, and so many of you have had a hell of a time finding one. But the other day, I called my local dealer to ask them if they have the molding fasterners in the mocha (tan) color. And while he was checking his catalog to get the part number, I ask him off hand if he had the cargo cover. So he looked up that part number in his catalog also, which is F4TZ9845440AAD. He told me that he had to order the fasterners in the color I wanted, and that he did not have a cover in stock because it was an obsolete part. Now, I had already known that from all of the threads here. But he also said that once a part is obsolete, the dealer needs to send the part back to Ford. That I didn't know. Then he told me to hold on a minute. He came back and said that he shows one dealer who has it in stock. Gave me the name and number. After profusely thanking this guy, I called this other dealer in PA. Sure enough they had one in stock (I double checked if there were more, nada). He mentioned that it was an obsolete part, and that oops, someone never got around to sending it back to Ford. The list price is $233, I got it for $162 which includes shipping. I found the holy grail of the bronco's. Nice Birthday present for me.
Sorry Guys!
I'll still keep my eyes open for more, when I'm shopping around.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:01 AM
ANdrewdrice
Elder User
congradulations NH-Nottie, sounds like you got a steal on the cover. doesnt matter to me though, cause Im broke

Old 05-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Broncobirdy
Senior User
Where does the cargo cover fit exactly? After this answer I may be jealous.

Old 05-11-2004, 09:25 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It fits between the rear seat and the tailgate. In certain 92ish on broncos, there were grooves in the rear interior panels to accept this cover. I am very jealous NH! I think I am going to resort to finding a canvas shop, and having them cut me a size to fit there, and simply stitch that around some dowels or something. Sure, it wont be as nice as yours , but it should do the trick.

Rich

Old 05-11-2004, 09:34 PM
bossind
Elder User
Never relized these where such a wanted item, my tan covers been in the basment with the Eddie Bauer floor mats since 1996 when I bought the truck new. Dam cover was always in the way. Dam I might have to dig those up.

Old 05-11-2004, 09:39 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
If its in good condition, I am a possible buyer! Please let me know if you are interested in selling.

Rich

Old 05-11-2004, 09:43 PM
bossind
Elder User
Its as new as new can get with out the package.

Old 05-11-2004, 09:45 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Check your email....

Old 05-11-2004, 10:21 PM
ANdrewdrice
Elder User
well, I think the cargo covers from say.....an exterra will fit, maybe, ill check when I get to my dads house this weekend, if it fits, ill buy one from nissan.

Old 05-11-2004, 10:24 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
An Xterra isnt nearly as wide as a bronco. I have been down that road. The closest I found was out of a Suburban, but even that was an inch short if memory serves.

Rich

Old 05-11-2004, 10:27 PM
ANdrewdrice
Elder User
well, necessity is the mother of invention!

Old 05-11-2004, 10:29 PM
Dutch123
Elder User
Cargo cover? - oops! I thought that canvas thang was a "fancy autoshade" that also doubled as a drop cloth when working under the rig -ugh!

just joking:

Dutch

Old 05-12-2004, 07:52 AM
NH-Hottie
Postmaster
Broncobirdy, the cargo cover does attach right exactly behind the back seat. Then there are the grooves on the side that you put the pull bar into on each side. The grooves on the side of the Bronco have three settings, so you can pull and lock it all the way to the tailgate, or 1/4 way and 1/2 way.

It makes the back look much neater. I wonder though, how it will be when I take the top off, if it will flap around too much.
At least now, my tools and spare parts are all covered up. Much better than a blanket.

You know Rich. I'm going to take a better look at the cover this weekend. I bet one can be made.

So I'm also wondering. If the dealers that had these sent them back to Ford, how would one go about contacting Ford directly to see if they still have them?

Old 05-12-2004, 08:58 AM
killerklown
Senior User
I've seen a few on Ebay. I could have bought the last one for $60, but it was grey, and I doubt it would have cleared my Speaker box anyways...

Old 05-12-2004, 12:26 PM
CLHAY
Freshman User
I am in the process of having a friend of mine fab up one for me at the present time. It will be constructed of a naugahyde with four thin wood strips (similar to the flat wooden rod in the bottom of a window shade). I will use metal snap type fastners to secure it to the side rails of the cargo area.

Quick Reply: Last cargo cover in the country?