Tranny shifting rougher w/ chip - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Computer Chips & Tuners  

Tranny shifting rougher w/ chip

Old 05-18-2004, 12:18 AM
Steina
CO River Rat
Steina is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Steina is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hmmmm.....wrenchman1 goes from saying "I swear up and down I'll never put another chip on anything own" to wrenchman2 saying "Wouldn't buy from you anyway Ken". This is the same person?

Old 05-18-2004, 08:50 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
Yes, its the same "person". Charming character, ain't he?

Old 05-18-2004, 09:07 AM
wezard
Freshman User
wezard is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe he just had a bad day, any body can be an A__H____ once in a while.
If he remained an AH it would be a nother story, but all of the posts as Wrenchman2 have been ok and quite civil.
I do agree with Ken, if he cussed out some one at MotorHaven, an applogy is due.
Mike

Old 05-18-2004, 03:53 PM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
Johnboy_BoomerSooner is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm having the transmission re-built in my 99 F-150. The engine (5.4L) has 100K on it, would it kill it to put a tuner on it? Is there anything that you would recomend I have up-graded in the trans while they're in it that would make it more rugged and capable of handling the extra hp the tuner provides?

And hey to the native georgian's in here, I just noticed Ken and wezard are from the ATL.. I just moved to TX from there... well, Griffin, but I did a lot of work in Atlanta.

Last edited by Johnboy_BoomerSooner; 05-18-2004 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:57 PM
wezard
Freshman User
wezard is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hopefully Ken will give you more info. But, in my opinion the Diablo is a transmission upgrade.
Mike

Old 05-18-2004, 06:50 PM
openclasspro
Senior User
openclasspro is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Johnboy_BoomerSooner
I'm having the transmission re-built in my 99 F-150. The engine (5.4L) has 100K on it, would it kill it to put a tuner on it? Is there anything that you would recomend I have up-graded in the trans while they're in it that would make it more rugged and capable of handling the extra hp the tuner provides?

And hey to the native georgian's in here, I just noticed Ken and wezard are from the ATL.. I just moved to TX from there... well, Griffin, but I did a lot of work in Atlanta.
yep- a flowtech valve body- eliminates the od problem of not getting enough fluid while in od!- -it's a bolt on shift kit in reality

Old 05-19-2004, 04:38 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Johnboy_BoomerSooner

If you're ever visiting in the area, give us a ring and stop on by!

The tranny in a F-150 is more than up to the task of handling a chip. If it were a Powerstroke or Lightning, I'd recommend changing out the shift valve while the transmission is opened up, and beefing up the internals. The trannies in those trucks, even stock, could use some beefing up. You could have them install a shift kit in it to firm up the shifts but the one drawback is you're stuck with it if you don't like it!

Old 05-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
Johnboy_BoomerSooner is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'll sure do it, I have to get the trans fixed so I can use it pull my boat here to TX, I still have a little bit of stuff in the garage left to move there, but my house hasn't sold yet so I'm just waiting till that for now. Well, I talked to my trans guy yesterday and he said he would put in the flowtech valve body but when he asked why and I told him he gave me that "You idiot" look...and started telling me power chip blown transmission war stories... oh well. I definately want the trans. beefed up, I think I'm going to add a secondary trans cooler also, just to keep the heat down. I'm not sure about the tuner, as much as I want it I know that this motor already has 100k on it and I sure don't want to screw it up. I'm going to wrestle with it a bit more, and will probably end up talking myself into it before it's overwith. Thanks for the help guys!