Computer Chips & Tuners  

Tranny shifting rougher w/ chip

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 10:49 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the dozens of personal ancounter and also studying, the only probllems I've ever heard of w/ chips/programers are:
A-not working (always replaced FOT)
B-wrong application (again an easy one)
C-pinging issues
D-unsatisfied gains (rarity)

If it "blew" the tranny (seals, clutches?) there was a pre-existing problem.
Fordbigdonkey: your not the first. those trannys are crap, chip or no chip

Old 05-15-2004, 03:52 PM
wrenchman2
New User
can anybody answer me on my last post, on what to buy? Thanks

Old 05-15-2004, 04:17 PM
92GT5ohRed
Senior User
I bought my truck last October and the Chip in Janaury. At the time I liked the Diablo. I am pretty good about research and feedback - at the time it was the one I liked. I don't know if that is any different 5 months later. I think the concept of a programmer is cool, but I wanted to install it and forget it so that was not a comparison point for me. Although Ken at Motorhaven is a dealer - I got real good pro's and con's when I contacted them prior to the purchase. He did not push me either way. I am sure there are superchip customers out there that would say good things too... but I still love my chip and how it has made the truck. I would do it again.

Old 05-16-2004, 10:49 AM
wezard
Freshman User
Wrenchman 2
Diablo is coming out with a new Tuner, not a new chip, there is a world of difference.
I got a 3 stage Diablo Chip for my van and I love it. I got the 3 stage so I could burn regular gas if the proformance program and 90+ octane cost much more.
If you get a Chip, there will be no "turning it up or down", if you get a programer, you can play with it quite a bit, (depending on brand). With a programer you typically write a program, or chose one of the built in programs. Then with the truck off and in the drive way you connect the programer to the OBD port and "re-flash" your trucks computor, takes a minute or so. Every time you want to change something, you go thru the procedure again. Some Programers require you to disconnect them from the OBD, others will allow you to remain pluged in and will even give you readouts from engine sensors, most will double as code readers.
A Chip on the other hand, permently connects to the engine managment computor. A Chip does not "re-flash" the stock computor, but instructs the engine computor to run the program contained in the chip. A single stage chip generally requires you to remove the chip to revert to stock. A two stage chip will have what ever programs you order and a dash mounted switch to change programs. Typical 2 stage might be 1- 90+ octane, high proformance
2- 90+ octane, trailer towing
or
1- 90+, preformance
2- 87 octane, make the transmission better
I got a three stage programed as follows
1- 90+ octane, High Preformance
2- 87 octane, make the transmission better
3- Stock
My truck (van) runs much better and stronger on the 90+ program, Ive only had it in week so I'm not positive on if buying the more expensive gas is really going to cost more.
It appears that the increase in milage is going to more than offset the increased cost of premium. I plan to post reports with exact figures as fill up and actually have hard numbers.
If premium does cost more, I can flip a switch and run regular. I will not get much HP or Torque gains with regular, but, the improvment in trasmission preformace is well worth the cost of the chip to me.
So, what you get depends on what you want to do. If you want to race, and don't mind the extra cost, time and fiddling around with programming, then wait for the Diablo programmer. If you want an install it and forget it, then get a chip. The Super Chips chip has allmost all improvements at wide open throttle, so if you drive around with the pedal to the metal, or want a race only chip, save a few bucks and buy Super Chip. If you want all around better, spend a few bucks more and get a Diablo chip.
My advice is a 3 stage Diablo, programed similar to mine.
Also note that there is only so much that can be done with programming the engine, a lot of the improvments with chips and programmers is related to the auto tranny. If you have a stick, don't even bother with a 87 octane program, the improvments will prob. not be noticable.
And made sure Ken or the tech at Motor Haven knows exactly what after market equipment you have, and exactly what you want the chip to do for you.
Hope this helps.
Mike

Old 05-16-2004, 10:49 AM
wrenchman2
New User
thanks

Thanks guys,
I will probably buy one here soon. What about the chips, I kindof understand the difference between them and a programer, I used to at least. Now they have so much stuff out there that does all these things I've lost touch. I'll give you my situation: I want fast acceleration and good gas mileage, good bottom end. Any custom chips out there for that? Does anybody know when the new Diablo programer is coming out for 98-03 f-150's ? thanks.

Old 05-16-2004, 10:51 AM
wrenchman2
New User
thanks wezard

Thanks WEZARD, I was writing my question as you posted your answer. Thanks
The one you have sounds like the one I want, how much do those run? Does effect waranty?

Last edited by wrenchman2; 05-16-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:21 AM
wezard
Freshman User
Cost is a touch over $300.00, you can get cheaper stuff, but.............
Warranty is a little sticky, and believe it not, can depend on the dealer. See Motor Havens site RE warranty. The basic answer is it will not void the warranty, but some dealers will tell you it does, while I understand that other Ford dealers actually sell the Diablo line. If the radiator cracks while you have a chip installed it is covered by warranty. If the chip shorts out and burns up the trucks computer, it is not covered by the warranty.
After bitching about slow sluggish shifts on mine for 10 months, my service writer actually told me that a GOOD chip would make me happy.
Also, if you remove the chip, the only evidence is clean contacts on the computer board port, and they have to pull the computer out and open it up to find that.
Don't put Diablo stickers on the truck untill the warranty is up and you will prob. be OK
Mike

Old 05-16-2004, 01:42 PM
wrenchman2
New User
WEZARD,
Where can I get a chip like you have. That sounds perfect. so let me get this right , you can flip a switch or something and you can choose any 3 of the programs that you have on the chip and run that particular one.

Old 05-16-2004, 01:55 PM
wezard
Freshman User
Click on the MotorHaven link at the top of this screen. Or just click here Diablo Then click on the diablo chip link near the bottom of the box.
Yes, I just flick a three position toggle switch on the bottom of the dash, with the ignition off.
Installation was easy on my van, don't know about your truck, but vans are usually a pain to do anything, so I'm assuming it should be easy for you.
Mike

Last edited by wezard; 05-16-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:27 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wrenchman2
No, I know the difference in chips and tuners. I was just sharing an experience it seems someone else had that problem also, "forbigdonkey" said he experienced it. By the way webmaster that wasn't me with the post. I was just telling Brian what happened to my truck, tuner or no tuner. I just like trucks like anybody else, I have been around HI-PO stuff since high school, I am a graduate of a automotive tech school, just thought I would share the guy some info I thought he might want to hear.
How does that justify what you said about me and cussing out the forums admin?

Old 05-17-2004, 09:20 AM
wrenchman2
New User
ken

WHAT's your deal man. Can you not let something go. I'm talking about chips and tuners. If you can't let it go, e-mail me. SORRY. Me and everybody else seem to get along fine. WEZARD has helped me out a great deal. Sorry about the Tranny deal just thought I would share an experience( maybe wrong, but it's my opinion) Now will you let it go, and quit disabling my account. I WANT to buy a chip.

Old 05-17-2004, 02:32 PM
wezard
Freshman User
Allright Ken and Wrenchman, time to kiss and make up, or at least drop it.
Is Wrenchman 1 and 2 the same person?
Mike

Old 05-17-2004, 03:03 PM
wrenchman2
New User
yes it's the same guy, someone disabled my account so I had to re-sign. I 'm fine. I'm here to see what chip is the best, and which one I want to purchase. I'm over it. I'm glad your here wezard for the info you gave me. I called around to some the places to see who had the chips. Thank for the info. Once I get some extra spending money I plan to get the one you have. the diablo 3 stage one. Next up exhaust work.

Last edited by wrenchman2; 05-17-2004 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:26 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A line was crossed when you told our assistant admin to f-off. I don't care if someone wanted to buy my entire inventory of chips and tuners, I won't sell to them if they treat the FTE staff that way. I'm not going to pretend it didn't happen. At the very least they deserve an apology before you even consider posting here again.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:01 PM
wrenchman2
New User
Thanks for the info Wezard. Wouldn't buy from you anyway Ken. End of story, glad I got the info I needed.

Quick Reply: Tranny shifting rougher w/ chip