Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Dodge Hemi vs 150

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 01:45 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey johnsdiesel comes to my defense. A great guy isnt he. Hey bigbluebronco thanks for the nice reply.

Old 05-10-2004, 02:41 PM
ktmguy70
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
The Hemi is a high RPM engine and doesn't make peak torque down low loke a good truck engine should.
Can You Tell me what the Torque Curve is for the F-150 compared to the HEMI, From what I have read here, BigBlue stated there was only 2 ft/lbs difference at 1000 rpms, seems EXTREMELY minor to me, where as the Hemi continues to equal or better the F-150 on up the powerband.. Im curious Because I havent SEEN the Torque Curve.. Just What I have read on here..

I also Question why if a " good" Truck engine makes Torque down Low, then Why is the Cummins Chastised for basically doing this by many members here because it makes it's Torque at a Low rpm.

Just Curious

Old 05-10-2004, 02:54 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
HeyKmtguy70 Everybody I have talked too are dissappointed with the low end torque of the hemi. Thats just what I have heard. Your second question. Aroud here were a die hard ford bunch so we dont like the cummins that well. Youll never see me ina dodge period Cummins Hemi whatever they have doesnt turn me on. Put that hemi on a load and when the rpms drop it just dies out. A great example of this is in there HD trucks. The V-10 will out torque the hemi easy. No comparison.

Old 05-10-2004, 03:00 PM
ktmguy70
Elder User
Well thats What Im wondering 150.. I want to see the torque Curve for Both engines.. It seems its every bit the Equal of the 5.4 down low, with even More on top..FROM WHAT IM READING.. I just cant find a dyno sheet on both engines to compare fact for fact.. I know the Hemi bested the 5.4 200 times in a row in towing.. And I think EVeryones seen the Commercial with the HEMI running away from the F-150, (as well as everything else) While pulling a trailer.. So im Claiming Ignorance here and asking for Facts Because I Honestly DOnt know, but 2 ft/lbs is real Close... Big Blue, Can you Help Out here???

Old 05-10-2004, 04:08 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
I want to see that too. Ilike to see some numbers. Sinister just might fill us in. Funny in the ford commercial the ford is running away from the hemi. Torque down low Imsure will soon find out.does the hemi have it or not

Old 05-10-2004, 04:12 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ktmguy70
Can You Tell me what the Torque Curve is for the F-150 compared to the HEMI, From what I have read here, BigBlue stated there was only 2 ft/lbs difference at 1000 rpms, seems EXTREMELY minor to me, where as the Hemi continues to equal or better the F-150 on up the powerband.. Im curious Because I havent SEEN the Torque Curve.. Just What I have read on here..

I also Question why if a " good" Truck engine makes Torque down Low, then Why is the Cummins Chastised for basically doing this by many members here because it makes it's Torque at a Low rpm.

Just Curious
1. From all I have seen, the Hemi is overrated from the factory. The numbers are overhyped and the low end otrque is not that great.

2. The Cummins is criticized not because it makes torque down low, but because it doesn't maintain a high level or torque as long as a V8 diesel.

Just curious, why do you Dodge guys hang out on a ford website?

Old 05-10-2004, 07:06 PM
EKUgrad
Senior User
OK, I have a 1500 hemi. I love all the trucks from the big three. I wish that I could have one of each of them. The hemi was the most bang for the buck when I got mine. It is a high revving motor, makes a lot of power up high in the rpm. I think that the reason that people complain about it is that they are used to the more traditional motors that have a smaller rpm band with a flatter response. It pulls good as far as I am concerned. Have not hooked 12000# to it, but never intended to. We have a diesel for that (old school 12v cummins manual, ugly but works). Can't compare it to the new 150 b/c they were not out when I was shopping. Now I am only looking at 3/4 and 1 ton diesels.

Old 05-10-2004, 07:10 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by EKUgrad
old school 12v cummins manual, ugly but works
Is that 12v Cummins stock? I've heard that it's real cheap to make major HP and torque with that engine.

Old 05-10-2004, 09:10 PM
EKUgrad
Senior User
yeah, bone stock 1989. not super strong, but 300k+ and still going strong. not so much as a hiccup unless you count having to replace the seat and little things like headliner as far as I know. I know that there has been nothing major wrong with it and have never been without it for more than a full working day.

Old 05-10-2004, 09:38 PM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Sorry I have been at classes and work all day. As for the HEMI being overrated-its actually the other way around. If put on a dyno the power at the wheels comes in pretty low which leads you to assume that the engine does not make close to the amount of power claimed. Although the reason for this is because of the computer-it restricts the amount of power and shifts the truck into the next gear too soon, not allowing the engine to reach max power. I have seen these dyno sheets and will try and find the post that I saw them. The truck kept shifting gears mid RPM and I know you can just put it in a gear and leave it, but there was something that the computer was doing to restict it-sorry it was a loooong time ago that I saw/read about this. As for me saying its underrated, take a look at the new Chrysler 300C-0-60 in 5.3 and the 1/4 in mid to low 13's for a 4000+lb car. The whole 2 ft/lb arguement was brought up a long time ago by a user named Torque. I believe he went by the dyno graphs by Dodge and Ford, or by Kenne Belle and Ford. I'm not a Dodge only guy, or a Ford only guy, I like both trucks but am not blind on whats better because of a bias. The Ford is probably put together better, rides nicer, gets better gas mileage, but it isn't as powerful as the HEMI. I don't see any huge problem in that because if you want a ton of power you'd go with a deisel. And as far as thats concerned, if your not loading a dually up with a huge trailer, then I doubt you'll notice much of a difference in those engines either. Everyone takes these things as hits to their pride. Relax, its just a truck.

Old 05-11-2004, 06:20 AM
ktmguy70
Elder User
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
1. From all I have seen, the Hemi is overrated from the factory. The numbers are overhyped and the low end otrque is not that great.

2. The Cummins is criticized not because it makes torque down low, but because it doesn't maintain a high level or torque as long as a V8 diesel.

Just curious, why do you Dodge guys hang out on a ford website?

Not a Dodge Guy, Lets just say I see the good In all things!
And Was really Curious, I have heard and read the HEMI vs 5.4 For a few months now, and everyone has a different take on it.

Old 05-11-2004, 07:38 AM
camo4stealth
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some may think the Dodge superior, some the Ford, others Chevy. There are times, however, that you have to actually look at your own truck. The Dodge is ugly as sin. I'd rather look at a cat's butt!

Old 05-11-2004, 06:44 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ktmguy70
I know the Hemi bested the 5.4 200 times in a row in towing...
Did it best it by towing or just by drag racing? It didn't best it by towing 9,900 pounds, I bet, see, the Dodge offers NO half ton that can do that, Hemi or not. Seems like in the end, as far as towing with half tons go, Ford bested everybody.

Old 05-11-2004, 06:48 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FordLariat
Did it best it by towing or just by drag racing? It didn't best it by towing 9,900 pounds, I bet, see, the Dodge offers NO half ton that can do that, Hemi or not. Seems like in the end, as far as towing with half tons go, Ford bested everybody.
It's hard to argue with that.

Old 05-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Ev2Demon
Senior User
Ford doesn't offer a truck with 1/2 ton components that will tow 9900 lbs either.

Quick Reply: Dodge Hemi vs 150