2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford dismissed call to fix latch

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 03:01 PM
momalle1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CruelCrew
Did you read the article?

"On April 21, the automaker reached a confidential cash settlement with the families of two sisters killed in a Feb..."

Suits are settled all the time to avoid the courts.

"At least 15 other suits are pending or have been settled involving injuries or deaths from crashes in which Ford truck doors have come open."

"Lawsuits mount, blaming problems with door latches for deaths, injuries..."

Certainly not one that doesn't meets the national safety standards. Certainly not one that the manufacturer's engineers said was unsafe.

Didn't you read the article?

Not all of them, that's why I asked.

"Federal safety officials, meanwhile, are reviewing allegations that Ford skirted federal laws by failing to recall the 4.1 million vehicles and alert the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the latch issue."

"NHTSA spokesman Tim Hurd said the letter was being examined by Kenneth Weinstein, head of the agency’s vehicle compliance and defects investigation offices."

And one death isn't enough? Besides, what makes you think millions of these vehicles have crashed? You're referring to the number sold, not crashed. Clearly there is a trend and a problem.

One death due to negligence is too many. I wasn't there and don't know the circumstances of the accident. If you hit a bridge abutment at 90 and the door latch doesn't hold, I wouldn't hold the manufacturer responsible. I was referring to the number of vehicles affected.

Oh. And here I thought the topic was about an example of Ford's unwillingness to fix problems...even serious ones.

No one ever goes off topic a bit in here.

I didn't know about this door latch issue, so I'm glad it was brought to my attention because my dad drives a 1999 F-150. Sorry you don't like that momalle1.
Never said I didn't like it, you should take a deep breath and come back after. If Ford is negligent, then they should pay a penalty, but I'm not jumping on any bandwagon because it's a big corporation. Remember all of the sudden acceleration cases in the mid-nineties? Almost all were proven to be driver error, most of the rest were unresolved. I actually heard a lady, that was sueing Ford about it state that the harder she stepped on the brake pedal, the faster the car went. Do you think maybe her suit was frivolous? As for the guy with the 04 F150 whose rear doors need to be slammed, did he think of getting them adjusted? They're not all hard to close, mine close quite well. Maybe his just has a manufacturing defect. You are right, Ford is concerned with making money, that's what they do. You really think they want negative publicity? That would cost them.

Old 05-05-2004, 03:12 PM
ANAP
Senior User
I have a 04 F150....I was driving the other day when all of a sudden my driver side door popped loose and the console told me my door was ajar. It was the wierdest thing.....the door was shut completly and it just popped loose on its own. So I see where this could be an issue.

I have a Supercab....

Those latches are questionable...IMO

Old 05-05-2004, 03:25 PM
baja_stx
Senior User
How about we wait and see the outcome of the investigation.

Old 05-05-2004, 03:37 PM
momalle1
Senior User
Originally Posted by ANAP
I have a 04 F150....I was driving the other day when all of a sudden my driver side door popped loose and the console told me my door was ajar. It was the wierdest thing.....the door was shut completly and it just popped loose on its own. So I see where this could be an issue.

I have a Supercab....

Those latches are questionable...IMO
ANAP, the latches on the 04's are supposed to be the good one's! I hope you are bringing your truck in to get it fixed!

Old 05-05-2004, 03:44 PM
ANAP
Senior User
I am making a list and then taking it in...when I get time. So far have the rear window rattle, a little throttle lag, slight vibe in steering wheel and bed at speeds of 45-55. Door popping loose. I think that is it....

It just happened one time and it kinda freaked me out a little. The thing with the sup cabs is you just have to make sure the back doors are completely shut. That could of been it....but I doubt it.

Old 05-05-2004, 04:48 PM
CruelCrew
Senior User
momalle1, if you're going to quote me, please remove your added remarks from that quote. You make it look like your comments are mine, and they are not. It's kind of confusing. BTW, typing everything in bold makes it look like you're shouting.

baha stx probably has the best idea. Although I'd hate to see an affected owner get in a wreck and be injured because of the latch, while he was waiting for NHTSA and Ford to figure it out. IMO, by the time they get the details ironed out it will all about politics and money, not safety.

Old 05-05-2004, 05:08 PM
momalle1
Senior User
[QUOTE=CruelCrew]momalle1, if you're going to quote me, please remove your added remarks from that quote. You make it look like your comments are mine, and they are not. It's kind of confusing. BTW, typing everything in bold makes it look like you're shouting.QUOTE]

Sorry about that, I'll try to do better in the future.

Old 05-05-2004, 07:34 PM
RBGF150
Junior User
Angry

I've had this same problem with my rear door as this complaint below
Every single time I would hit a bump, pothole etc. the dirvers side rear access door slammed and shuttered, I to was able to pull the top of it while closed a couple of millimeters [which is enough to make it dangerous]. I took the truck to the dealer this past monday to the dealer for other issues and I was shown how to slam it, I mean close it properly.

I'm the driver, my wife is aware of the issue, if i die or become a vegetable because of this she will use life insurance money and or disability insurance money [in excess of 1 million each] to sue the hell out of ford.

Old 05-06-2004, 08:52 AM
4x4_Lariat
New User
I have experienced this too. You have to place your hand at the top of the door and slam it otherwise the door won't latch properly and rattle when hitting bumps, like RGBF150 said.

I think most of us love our trucks we're just tired of the manufacturer telling us that our problems don't exist, or that they are normal conditions. Just fix the problems that you created and we'd all be happy campers, or truckers.

Old 05-06-2004, 09:49 AM
superdarren
Junior User
I hear the wind

This thread is definitely not the news I wanted to hear. I have also noticed that if I do not shut the rear door in my supercab firmly (slam) I can hear a draft coming through. I didn't realize it ment the door was not latched properly. I though it was just some air.

Old 05-06-2004, 12:44 PM
4x4_Lariat
New User
Even when it's latched properly (or you think it is) it still makes a thud-type sound when hitting potholes or bumps.