Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Changing Glow Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Les100
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Glow Plugs

This is my first visit to this site. I would appreicate some quick info on changing the glow plugs on my 97 PSD which has 95,000 miles. I purchases the truck new and at about 40,000 had the GPR replaced. The truck has been smoking during cold start up, which makes me suspect the glow plugs. I found the glow plugs at my local NAPA for about $10 each, they are AC Delco. Then I learned the glow plugs are under the valve covers. It appears that the air intake tube needs to be removed. Is there anything else to know about this procedure. It was recommended that I replace the valve cover gaskets also. Thanks in advance for any help.
Les

Old 05-04-2004, 08:04 PM
BigBully
Senior User
First Off Dont use any Glow plugs Except Motorcraft Berus. Get them at AutoZone for around $9 each. Aftermarket Glow plugs Are Prone to Cracking and breaking off in the cylinders and thats not something you want to deal with. Second there is ways of testing Glowplugs, You need a Multi Meter set On OHMs. There are 4 connectors going into the Valve Covers (I would Unhook Both Batterys) take the connectors apart and the 2 outside pins in each connector are for the Glow Plugs. I think a reading of around 5 is a good plug (Might be wrong on that) I Have also heard of useing a test light hooked to the Positive on the battery Then touch the probe on the outer pins (Be Carefull Not to Touch the Inner Pins, Im not sure it will hurt anything But lets not Test it) Now the Good Plugs will light the light up. The if you have bad Plugs you will need to take the V/Covers off and they are Right beside each injector. Be Very care full not to break one off in the head, If you do Most likely the head will have to be pulled to repair. Use a Piece of 3/8 Fuel hose to remove and install the Glow Plugs (After breaking loose with socket and To screw it back in) Then There is a Torque Spec But I cant remember what it is. A Ford Tech should be able to tell you. I do know its not much, Like 12
Ftlbs

Old 05-05-2004, 02:59 AM
believer45
Posting Guru
CLICK HERE to go to an excellent article about the glow plugs. I also have this article saved (pictures and all) as an MS Word document along with the thread I started when I did mine a few years ago and another document about the glow plug relay. If you would like to have them send me an eMail with GLOW PLUG INFORMATION in the subject line and include the eMail address you would like to have them sent to and I will reply with the attachments.

Not a bad job, BigBully is right on about the Beru glow plugs. I got mine at AutoZone, they came in Motorcraft bags with the Ford part number on them for less than half Ford's price.

Let me know if you want the attachments.

Dave / Believer45

Old 05-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Les100
Freshman User
BigBully and Dave,
Thank you! It's exactly what I wanted to hear. I will exchange the Plugs as you suggest. Take the day off and go fishing.
Les