1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

O.K., it's time for a major tune up........

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 12:56 PM
smv219
Junior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O.K., it's time for a major tune up........

I bought my daughter a 1996 Ranger XLT sometime back with the 2.3L four cylinder. The truck always felt underpowered but I just chalked it up to being a four cylinder. Since I bought it it has only averaged about 14-15 miles per gallon (that seems way low for a four cylinder). The check enging light came on the other day and the code was P1131, Heated Oxygen sensor. I guess I should do a major tuneup on this thing. It has about 97,000 miles on it. The original owner was good about changing the oil but I have no records for tuneups and such. My questions are - shouldn't the gas mileage be way better? and what should I do to it other than the usual plugs (which type), wires, air filter, fuel filter, heated oxygen sensor, pcv valve, etc... Any specific parts I should look for that are better than others? It's been a darned good truck so far. Also, which manual is better for this type of stuff on this truck, Haynes or Chiltons. They shrink wrap them now so you can't look first. I guess they got tired of people using them in the store and then leaving.

Old 05-08-2004, 05:03 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Definitely do the plugs. The wires should be alright. Go with the Motorcraft plugs. They seem to work the best. When I used to run paper filters I used the NAPA Gold filters. Your mileage is way too low. It should be up around 20, depending on her driving habits. And it shouldn't feel sluggish, these little 4 poppers are pretty quick. People have their preferences with the manuals, but most around here seem to go with Haynes. Also, if you don't know when the timing belt was done last, I highly recommend you take care of that while you are at it.

Old 05-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A bad O2 could be the cause of the poor mileage, it just now got bad enough to cause the CEL.

Old 05-08-2004, 09:55 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i used to get at least 20 mpg in my '88 s/c 2.3 with hard driving, it would get 27 on the highway. i prefer the haynes manual myself.

Old 05-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Go with Motorcraft or Autolite plugs, double platinums. Motorcraft also makes a "fine metal" plug now that might be substituted for the DP. Just don't get them at the dealer, or you will get wacked.

If you can find a Motorcraft PCV valve somewhere then get it, they seem to fit better than some of the aftermarkets out there (at least I think so). Napa Gold filters are made by Wix and are high quality. Purolator's air filters are solid too, as are their fuel filters.

You can probably get away without doing the wires, but I would go for it, budget permitting. I picked up a nice wireset for my 4.0L recently, very solid construction, fit perfect, from Carquest for less than $40.

Another thing to think about gas mileage-wise is the thermostat and ECT sensor. If your engine is not getting up to and/or staying up to temperature properly, or if the ECT is not advising the PCM of the the temp properly, then that could also adversely affect gas mileage.

Old 05-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Ranger3L
New User
I have a V6 3L and just did a tuneup last weekend. I used a Haynes manual which looks pretty good.
1. Spark plugs
2. Oil and filter.
3. Transmission fluid and filter.
4. Differential fluid changed.
5. PCV valve.
6. Air filter.
7. Serpentine belt.
8. Fuel filter.
9. Radiator fluid changed.

Last edited by Ranger3L; 05-08-2004 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:22 PM
Oregon497
Junior User
I just got rid of my 1999 ranger with a 4 banger in it. I had a K & N in it and upgraded the wires and was using Bosch Platnium 4 plugs. I was getting around 24 in town and 29-32 mpg on the highway with a 5 spd. I had 97,000 on it when I traded for my 04 Edge 4x4. I think a full once over is definately in store for your daughters truck and it should definately increase the power and mileage.