Towing Cam & Headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 12:48 AM
Fasterhorses
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing Cam & Headers

I blew a sparkplug last week going downhill at 35mph into a signal. 75000 mi. Went to ford service and jackass told me he had never heard anything about the 5.4 having defective heads but he offered to put superglue on the old plug and tap it in with a hammer because all the threads were gone. Having the engine torn down, putting sleaves in all 8 plug holes, new timing chains, water pump, valve job, NOT AT FORD. Its a F150 4x4, auto 4OD, 4.56 gears, Air Raid intake, Throttle body spacer, Flowmaster, 3" exhaust. I had a Jet Performance Chip for 18 months and it made the truck run lean and lost power. I called Jet and they said if the truck was still running with the chip in then it was not defective. I threw it away. I'm towing 2 horses with a gooseneck trailer at a total weight of 11000 lbs for truck trailer and horses. 3rd gear at 55 mph = 3000 rpm. OD at 55 mph = 2200 rpm. Which cam and which headers for towing?

Last edited by Fasterhorses; 05-04-2004 at 12:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-04-2004, 01:07 PM
umdstang
Senior User
i was just reading some stuff in a magazine about crower they offer some cam kits, also call up comp cams they offer great advice. try both of there websites also.
As for headers i always have had good things about jba and gibson headers.

By the way the 11000lbs is getting close to the maximum limit of your truck, unless you have the 7700 with max load is 13500

Hope that helps
Brian

Old 05-04-2004, 01:31 PM
Fasterhorses
Senior User
Brian - Thanks for the reply. My mechanic agrees with you on the JBA headers so I got'em. He says that the 5.4 has been very touchy about cams and Schneider has been having the best results with no check-engine-light problems and no smog problems. I'm going for Schneider (2 days until boltup) unless someone has a good reason not to.

Thanks, Don

Old 05-04-2004, 02:54 PM
umdstang
Senior User
nice that you found something that will work
ya i forgot to tell you that after you put in the cams it will be neccisary to have a custom chip burned

Old 05-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Fasterhorses
Senior User
Thanks for the heads-up on a chip. Mechanic says this grind is for torque and not radical enough for a new chip. We will see. Called Crane in Florida and they haven't even made a cam for the 5.4 yet!

Don