Propane Injection, what do you think?

Old 07-12-2002, 12:56 AM
TLindquist
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really interested in more power for my 7.3L IDI Turbo engine and since there isn't very many mods for this engine I've pondered with propane injection. I've read about Powershot 2000 ($549) and Torque Pro 2000 ($995) from ATS, what are the differences between these two and which is a better system that won't destoy my engine or take a rocket scientist to operate?
I just replace the old 6.9L with this new motor and don't want to do it all over again so maybe this isn't the best idea, help me change my mind and tell me what I could do to make a better running diesel.
Thanks to all that reply

Old 07-12-2002, 03:20 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our guys were developing some failure analysis software back in 1988 and were trying it out on the IDI engine -- they were developing a turbo package for Ford and they wanted to know how far they could go. The failure analysis software said the main bearing webs were the weak point in the engine. They had an IDI (turbocharged) engine on the dyno making 225 HP (I don't know what the RPM was or how many hours they ran it). When they took it apart the main bearing webs were cracked. If you need more power, get a Power Stroke equipped vehicle (just my opinion). (Keep in mind that the IDI engine was a converted gas engine.)
Also, our reliability people recently got a Power Stroke engine back that still had the propane fittings in the intake crossover that had a broken rod and 7 bent rods. You asked for opinions so here is mine: I think propane is a bad idea.

Old 07-12-2002, 07:41 AM
theologian
Postmaster

Whenever anyone decides to do something with an engine, that is outwith the norm, like propane, or nos, there seems to be an increase in failure. I have never done it myself, so I speak only from the writings on other boards.. Everyone I have read about who did such a thing rebuilt the engine within a year.. They may have been the 'Radical' few, who went over the top, or that could be the expected action after gassing the engine somewhat.. I have read enough horror stories about it to determine that it is not the way that I would go - I like my truck much more than that.

Wm
'96 F450 White with Grey interior Crew Cab. Banks Turbo, Intercooler and Exhaust,
Power pack Chip, shift kit, Auxiliary transmission, electronic enhanced transmission control,
16 forward and 4 reverse ratios. 340hp 660ft lb 4 wheel drive, 4.10 gears, 12,ooo# winch

Old 07-14-2002, 10:33 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster

So Joe and Wm-
Is it your opinion that using propane as an alternative to a chip is a destructive route to take? I'm speaking about increasing hp by 50-75, the way you would with a chip.
My layman's understanding of propane is that it improves the efficiency of the burn itself, rather than introducing more fuel, or changing the fuel delivery timing the way a chip does. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 07-16-2002, 01:21 PM
sud z
Freshman User

TLindquist,

I think I agree with Quadzilla. Whats the difference if you up the power with propane or a chip. Either way, you'll be putting an additional strain on the engine/drivetrain. If you beat it to hell you will certainly ruin your motor/tranny (specially if its an auto). Go easy and use your extra power judiciosly (sp?) and things will likely be fine.

Incidently, there is a good tech article over at www.ford-diesel.com where a fella fabricated a home-made propane injection system for an earlier IDI, for around $200, with good results. I love the home-brewed stuff! Good luck.

-sud z

Old 07-16-2002, 08:51 PM
mr clutch
Senior User

Old 07-16-2002, 11:40 PM
TLindquist
Senior User

Thanks for the information, I'll check it out.
If propane isn't a good way to up the power and torque give some other ideas. One of the first things I'm going to do is get rid of the 39" rubbers and down size (not biggy size) to 35" tire. This should improve my MPG and give a little extra take off acceleration.