West Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 5_labsownus

Virginia emissions and safety check

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 11:48 AM
toolz_not_toyz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virginia emissions and safety check

Whelp. I've run into a snag with the Prospect Truck posted in my gallery (a 1978 f150 4x4 with a 460 engine). I was under the impression that in Virginia you could get a waiver for the emissions test for vehicles over 25 years old. In closer inspection of the rules, it looks like that exemption is only available to vehicles with a GVRW of 10,000 pounds or more. Great. I don't think an f250 even has a rating that high! But then it gets worse.

In my previous state, Maryland, we didn't have visual safety inspections. Here in Virginia we do. And the rules for the safety inspection state the following:

1) Air pollution control system (1973 and Subsequent Models) must be installed and functional including the catalytic converter and restricted fuel tank filler pipe.

2) Floor pan must not have any holes which allow ehaust gases to enter occupant compartment.

3) Steering and inspection: must not have a broken frame.

So, I guess by the fact that the truck has a 460 engine with a dual exhaust pretty much means it won't pass emissions or safety (I didn't check for cats at the time and didn't even look at the engine yet since I didn't think emissions mattered, pretty big misinterpretation on my part). And I guess that hole in the floor pan that I was going to fix means I can't pass safety. And I guess that the plate on the cracked framed pretty much means the frame is cracked and the rules probably imply that you cannot fix a broken frame and expect to pass the safety inspection.

Gee whiz. Thought I had finally found The One.

Anyone here have experience with Virginia and these things?

Old 04-27-2004, 01:00 PM
toolz_not_toyz
Senior User
Whoops. I think I misinterpreted the 25-year waiver. I think it means that vehicles 25 years or older and under 10,000 pounds are exempt. I guess vehicles that are over 10,000 pounds are always exempt.

So maybe I can sidestep emissions with the waiver and then sidestep the safety with Antique plates until I get this thing fixed up with emissions gear.

Old 04-28-2004, 01:54 AM
ashvalentine
Senior User
A '78 federal 460 doesn't have an air pump so it has no cat. (A California 460 DOES.) You do have an EGR and stuff.

You'll still have to fix the floor pan and the steering bracket.

ash
['You'd want to do that anyways, right?']

Old 04-28-2004, 07:45 PM
toolz_not_toyz
Senior User
Originally Posted by ashvalentine
A '78 federal 460 doesn't have an air pump so it has no cat. (A California 460 DOES.) You do have an EGR and stuff.

You'll still have to fix the floor pan and the steering bracket.

ash
['You'd want to do that anyways, right?']
Awesome. Err, of course the 460 isn't original in this truck since its a 4x4. I just hope the engine is newer than the truck. Isn't that an emissions rule as well (that is, replacement engines have to be newer than the vehicle they go in)?

I hope to have a peak under the hood in a couple of days so I'll be able to see if at least some of the rest of the stuff is there.

You're right. I do want to fix that hole. It's pretty nasty. And the frame is actually welded with a plate and it's all still sound, it's just the plate is rectangular and welded continously on the left and right....so it will likely fail again. Replacing the plate with one that has tapered ends will be quite a job. But better safe than sorry.