Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

The truck engine with highest horsepower and torque

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 06:49 PM
superdutymj
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how about the ole V10? in my '01, factory spec'd 310hp AND 425 lb ft of torque! hard to beat in a reg cab. and i have yet to have my truck dyno'd with the banks kit installed, but Banks claims 56 HP / 67 Ft. Lbs. Torque and 7% Mileage Improvements! at around 15 mpg mixed driving, it doesn't do much worse on gas than any smaller of an engine in real world driving in any truck. i read in a magazine (i think it was Four Wheeler) that the V10 makes all its hp at around 1900 rpm and its around 400 lb ft of torque around there too. that's power AND strength, but no, i don't win any drag races with the 4.10s in back! i must say that after owning a 99 S10 with the *****tec 2.2L, i will never go small again! overkill is the hot ticket. i love pulling my car trailer with both my trans ams in tow and passing a car on the highway as if it were standing still! i couldnt do that with the chevy unloaded! driving an underpowered truck on any road surface is just flat a pain in the rear. those 4.6L in the 1/2 ton fords are just plain dogs, and i dont think ill hear any argument there. in my opinion and limited experience, i have noticed that these smaller engined trucks tend to do WORSE on gas mileage because you have to push them harder to meet your power demands. i guess if you're an old man leading a labor day parade pulling a float made of paper mache, than yeah, less power is adequate. maybe for town driving pulling no load it would be adequate too. but if that's all you're using your truck for, buy a Honda! trucks arent made for the economically conscious, they are made for those of us pulling work loads and getting our beds scratched up. if it don't have a good nick or two in the tailgate, odds are you don't need a truck!

Old 07-20-2004, 07:01 PM
superdutymj
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what size motor is in your expedition NorthGaExpedition? if it's the 4.6, i can guarantee it won't haul any of your cars listed on a car trailer. torque or not, horsepower is very desireable as well.

Old 07-20-2004, 07:53 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NorthGaExpediton
Wins what?
A dragrace? Yes!!!
A towing contest? Probably not!
Rock crawling at 3000 Rpm to get your max HP doesn't work well!
If you gain HP there is usually a trade off somewhere.

Higher HP engines can't produce the higher number of torque at lower rpms to be useful in that range.
And what beats Ford in a towing contest?

Old 07-21-2004, 01:16 AM
ChristopherX55
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the main reason we saw the demise of the 300-6, 302/351, 460 Ford, 318/360 Chrysler and 350 Chevy is due to emmissions and CAFE (corporate average fuel efficiency, or something like that). The earlier engines like 351M/400, 360/390, 427, etc were already gone for the same reasons. The tough emmissions and fuel economy standards can only be met with higher technology, electronic control, multiple valves, variable timing, etc. Those old motors were great motors, but they all have one thing in common, they are all overhead valve 2-valve/cyl iron motors and that design, although great for a truck motor, isn't efficient enough for today's and tomorow's emmisions/mileage standards.
You Poor American Boys. Here in Canada theres practically no such thing as emmisions, me and my cousin just built a 350 that puts 435hp 445 torque. I also just ripped the cat off my 85 camaro when i installed all new exhaust. side note Whoever said that the 350 was dead and an old motor...when was teh last time you saw someone building a brand new hemi or ford 5.4...you dont, you build old motors. anyone who has the talent to build a engine thats got that many comp parts shouldnt be hobbying. The 350 has the most aftermarket parts, and is so well known its practicaly the starter muscle engine for dummies. And if you say but I'm talking new engines...If you have never attempted to build an engine or at least done major work to one then you are not fit to quote stats or race times or what your friends friend said or speak on the subject of engines at all, ...period. there are two many people on this site that just read motor trend and think they are qualified to declare that ford is king, or chevy is teh only way, educate yourself with practical or at least theorectical experience before you start arguing with someone about how your truck is better....more than likely cause its what your dad owned all his life and now its what you own and its the only way. To all of you out there who actually no what your talking about kudos for the info you share, the rest of you think before you start typing.

Old 07-21-2004, 01:38 AM
Mojave2k
Senior User
Originally Posted by ktmguy70
While mostly Ford is usally Smaller and Less powerfull I agree, Its really Stepping up to the plate as of late with the Cobra, 6.0 and going to the 3V design on the 5.4, HOWEVER, if your Stating that the Lightning, Smoked the Srt-Ram, Then Im afraid your smoking something?
As of right now, Every thing I have read has stated the lightning isnt even in the same class, In the next year or 2 that may change, and probably will, Ford doesnt like to be behind. Car and Driver tested the SRT at 4.9. The BEST a Lightning has ever done stock is 5.2. The Average Lightning is 5.5. 3 tenths of a second is huge in such a short distance . That truck corners like a car, when they compared the two at track racing the SRT also killed it.
HOWEVER, with the Price difference between the 2 You could certainly have a SRT killer lightning, WHich would be Kinda fun.
For the uses you have just stated, it looks like you need a Ford GT.. Most truck buyers need dependability, towing and hauling power, and good old fasion long term durability.. Get the GT if you want to play race car driver. I think it will exceed your needs.

Old 07-21-2004, 01:55 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ktmguy70
While mostly Ford is usally Smaller and Less powerfull I agree, Its really Stepping up to the plate as of late with the Cobra, 6.0 and going to the 3V design on the 5.4, HOWEVER, if your Stating that the Lightning, Smoked the Srt-Ram, Then Im afraid your smoking something?
As of right now, Every thing I have read has stated the lightning isnt even in the same class, In the next year or 2 that may change, and probably will, Ford doesnt like to be behind. Car and Driver tested the SRT at 4.9. The BEST a Lightning has ever done stock is 5.2. The Average Lightning is 5.5. 3 tenths of a second is huge in such a short distance . That truck corners like a car, when they compared the two at track racing the SRT also killed it.
HOWEVER, with the Price difference between the 2 You could certainly have a SRT killer lightning, WHich would be Kinda fun.
Still waiting on a video or a link to this info that shows a stock SRT-10 without a professional driver beating a stock Lightning also driven by an amatuer.

Last edited by FordLariat; 07-21-2004 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:29 AM
NorthGaExpediton
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ChristopherX55
You Poor American Boys. Here in Canada theres practically no such thing as emmisions, me and my cousin just built a 350 that puts 435hp 445 torque. I also just ripped the cat off my 85 camaro when i installed all new exhaust. side note Whoever said that the 350 was dead and an old motor...when was teh last time you saw someone building a brand new hemi or ford 5.4...you dont, you build old motors. anyone who has the talent to build a engine thats got that many comp parts shouldnt be hobbying. The 350 has the most aftermarket parts, and is so well known its practicaly the starter muscle engine for dummies. And if you say but I'm talking new engines...If you have never attempted to build an engine or at least done major work to one then you are not fit to quote stats or race times or what your friends friend said or speak on the subject of engines at all, ...period. there are two many people on this site that just read motor trend and think they are qualified to declare that ford is king, or chevy is teh only way, educate yourself with practical or at least theorectical experience before you start arguing with someone about how your truck is better....more than likely cause its what your dad owned all his life and now its what you own and its the only way. To all of you out there who actually no what your talking about kudos for the info you share, the rest of you think before you start typing.
Like i stated earlier; i've owned several fords in my life (28 yrs) and i had the fastest in the 1/8 mile drag at my high school with my 289 HiPo in my 64 mustang. I beat chevy 396's, 350's and 327's. In my opinion Ford engines do more with less. Think about it:
Mustangs = 302
Camaros = 350 (48 ci more)
48 more ci but they are pretty close on strip times.

My friend has a 01 Mustang GT with the 4.6, and it is faster than my other friends LT1 equipped camaro with a 6Speed in the 1/8th. Go figure, i "would" have bet on the camaro!

By the way, i'm not knocking fords by any means in my earlier posts! After i reread my post it kinda sounded that way. I was simpy stating something i've learned over the past 2 years while building my scout. It takes me a while to get up to 65 mph while towing a trailer but once i do I can hit just about any hill and hold it. Not bad for a 72, SOA, 3/4 chevy axles with 4.10's, 315/75 16 dunlop mud rovers, and a bone stock 304 international with a 727 auto.

Old 07-21-2004, 07:42 AM
NorthGaExpediton
Freshman User
Originally Posted by superdutymj
what size motor is in your expedition NorthGaExpedition? if it's the 4.6, i can guarantee it won't haul any of your cars listed on a car trailer. torque or not, horsepower is very desireable as well.
No i have the 5.4! I did a lot of searching on here before i bought!

By the way, thanks!

To be as big as the expedition is, it will get up and go! Iwas really impressed. I think this whole discussion can be summed up by using the right tool for the job!

I would not take a lightning (if it were 4x4) and go crawl the Tellico trails in NC. By the same token i wouldn't take my slow ol scout and try to race...........well anything!!!