1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 Add-on Oil Cooler System--Who Makes One?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 03:58 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-17-2002, 01:18 PM
Eddie
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to add a remotely-mounted oil/air radiator, this in addition to the factory oil/engine-coolant heat exchanger. In usual automotive practice, these utilize an adaptor that mounts to the oil filter mount, as well as a thermostatic bypass.

This adaptor either sandwiches in between filter and mount, or mounts the filter remotely on a dedicated bracket.

Either method is acceptable, but who makes 'em?

Eddie

Old 09-17-2002, 02:23 PM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no advantage (my opinion only) to running the engine oil any cooler than it runs with the factory engine oil cooler, although I'll admit that it is your money. The oil needs to run within a temprature range for optimum oil effeciency and life. When we run these engines flat out on the engine dyno hour after hour, the oil temp never exceeds 230 degrees (the point of that statement is that you will never run the engine that hard, continuously). Your money would be better spent on a trans oil cooler (this assumes you are running an automatic trans). Again, these are just my opinions and it is certainly your money.

Old 09-18-2002, 03:38 PM
Eddie
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-Sep-02 AT 04:50 PM (EST)]Thank you, that was most helpful.

I should have been clearer: I am adapting an older non-IH diesel with no oil cooler that uses a cannister-type oil filter to use a 7.3 spin-on cartridge.

If manufactured cooler kits aren't available for 7.3s, I'll just have to make one (what else is new?).

Eddie