Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PowerStroke Under Water

Old 09-14-2002, 07:36 PM
bainbob
New User
PowerStroke Under Water

I just bought a used 1997 F350 (PSD,Crew Cab, 4x4). It was in a flood and I'm trying to get it running again. The water (fresh water, but lots of silt) came up to the bottom of the instruments, submerging most of the truck. The truck had been sitting for over a year since the flood and the engine was stuck when I got it. I've cleaned the tanks, changed fluids in everything, changed filters, new starter, etc. I pulled the glow plugs and filled the jugs with oil to free it up. The engine had about 2 quarts of water in it and I figure it either came through the dipstick or the exhaust because the intake and rockers were as clean as could be - just a little oil residue in the intake. I got the engine to break free by tapping the starter about four times but it won't hit a lick. I bought a scanner. The code scanner shows no problems other than Exhaust Pressure Sensor (code 470, can't cause no start), high pressure oil is good, injector buzz test works, fuel pressure is good, Injector Pulse Width = 1 millisecond. I'm thinking stuck rings at this point, but I have no idea what the compression should be. Any ideas?

Bob

Old 09-20-2002, 08:28 PM
proford460
Senior User
PowerStroke Under Water

if memory serves 185

Old 09-21-2002, 12:12 AM
Brian460
Posting Guru
PowerStroke Under Water

185psi is not much compression for a diesel, but with a turbo I might be wrong.

A factory 91 7.3idi non-turbo compresion was about 430-450psi new

Old 09-21-2002, 07:04 AM
powerstroker250
Posting Guru
PowerStroke Under Water

I believe the compression for a PSD should be around 450psi.

Les

Old 09-21-2002, 06:55 PM
bainbob
New User
PowerStroke Under Water

I had a heck of a time checking compression. The glow plugs are way down there and stuck right between the pushrod and fuel injector. The only adapter I could find was for the old IDI (so it's very short). Had to rig up some 1/8 pipe to extend it. It was about 200 psi. I shot some motor oil in, turned it over, and checked it again - 550psi! After that I gave all the jugs some oil, turned it over a few times to blow it out, then put the glow plugs back in. It turned over quite a few times then finally started to hit. It took about 30 seconds before all eight were hitting. Terrible vibration. Pulled the dust cover off and half the bearing from the dual-mass flywheel were in the bottom. Did a little more digging and found the turbocharger is locked up. I just picked up the LUK solid flywheel & clutch. Pulled the transimssion (and flywheel) today but I'm having a heck of a time getting the turbo off. Anyone here ever change a turbo? How the heck do you get those four bolts out that hold it on the block? Looked in my manual (worthless) and it just says to "remove" them. Right. Do they expect you to pull the engine to change the turbo? The bottom two bolts in the input flange are not accessable at all. The lots in the feed tubes (from the exhaust manifolds) are very dificult to get at, and the back two bolts that hold the turbo to the block, well, you don't want to know...

If anyone has changed a turbocharger on a 1997 F350 I wish you'd tell me how you did it!

Bob

Old 09-22-2002, 08:05 AM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
PowerStroke Under Water

i did this about a year ago, IT AINT NO FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
first remove the breather side hose, then remove the intake hose and manifold. stuff rags into the heads. then loosen the feed pipe bolts. i think i had to use a wrench and a socket both to do this. remove the exhaust side clamp, and the three bolts holding the E B P V to the turbo housing. remove the E B P V. the control rod end will slip back letting the valve come off completely. use a universal socket and an 8 inch extension to break loose all 4 turbo mounting bolts, then remove them. its realy not that bad once you figure it out. some one told me you had to remove both feed pipes, but you dont, just loosen them up so that they will move around. if you have the turbo off, i would change the fuel pump while i was there. if you need any more help let me know and i will try my best.